Amtrak job..........

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
Hey guys, a little last minute here. Thinking of applying for a job with Amtrak. I don't think it can be done online...or am I wrong? I also can't seem to find the "job opportunity application" anywhere. I may just give them a call.

Anybody applied before?

Mike S.

Nevermind...I just answered my own question. I need to write the job name and posting number on my resume and mail it to them.

Cover letter? Yes/No? What do you think? I would assume so...but somtimes I think a major corp or govt body is not interested in it. I'm leaning towards yes with the cover letter.

Mike S.

ALWAYS a cover letter to any would-be employer. Give them your 15- or 30-second commercial - nothing more. With a short (emphasis SHORT) cover letter, you will stand a much better chance of having your resume studied rather than just skimmed over by a good HR professional.

And GOOD LUCK!! Keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next question, b/c I worry a bit. Are they going to contact my current employer? Since there is no application to fill out, I don't really have the option of saying, please don't contact my current employer. There is no reason to not contact them other than they may treat me different after knowing I applied for a job. If they were contacted they would find out that I've been a stellar employee for the past 6 years.

I certainly don't want to put that in my cover letter.

Mike S.

Not that I'm looking for a job, but I checked the web site to see what Amtrak has available and saw this:

Accounting Clerk - (Temporary Position 90 Days)

Texas-El Paso

What would El Paso need with an accounting clerk for 90 days, I wonder? Something going on there?

MrFSS sez...What would El Paso need with an accounting clerk for 90 days, I wonder? Something going on there?

Someone going out on maternity/paternity leave? Medical leave? Trying out a new position to see if permanent status is warranted? Increased summer revenues?

Just some ideas.....

Travel light!

~BJG

MrFSS sez...What would El Paso need with an accounting clerk for 90 days, I wonder? Something going on there?

Someone going out on maternity/paternity leave? Medical leave? Trying out a new position to see if permanent status is warranted? Increased summer revenues?

Just some ideas.....

Travel light!

~BJG
Makes sense, but then the question is, what does El Paso need with an accounting clerk? Wonder what they count???

Just some ideas.....

Travel light!

~BJG
Makes sense, but then the question is, what does El Paso need with an accounting clerk? Wonder what they count???
El Paso is the location for all accounting issues with tickets, food & beverage sales, etc. There is a contractor there who processes all the documents that are sent via Fed Ex at the end of each Amtrak trip.

Just some ideas.....

Travel light!

~BJG
El Paso is the location for all accounting issues with tickets, food & beverage sales, etc. There is a contractor there who processes all the documents that are sent via Fed Ex at the end of each Amtrak trip.
Well - that makes sense, too. Thanks for the info.

Next question, b/c I worry a bit. Are they going to contact my current employer? Since there is no application to fill out, I don't really have the option of saying, please don't contact my current employer. There is no reason to not contact them other than they may treat me different after knowing I applied for a job. If they were contacted they would find out that I've been a stellar employee for the past 6 years.

Mike S.

I don't know about Amtrak, but, in my opinion, no good employer would contact an applicant's present or previous employers without first asking permission of the applicant. Generally, you don't contact references until after you've interviewed the candidate and decided you want to pursue him as an employment prospect.

But like I said, I don't know how Amtrak (or the federal government for that matter) do it.

Mike S.
This is how it happened for me last summer, 2007. I found a position I was interested in then sent my resume via USPS, (w/cover letter), to the Chicago office as is listed on the Website. It took about six weeks but I received a phone call from one of their HR guys. He emailed me the application which I dutifully filled out and emailed back. During this time I notified my supervisior, (who I'm on pretty good terms with), what I wanted to do. He agreed to support my decision to go to Amtrak if they called, which I found out later on they did. I received a second call from the same HR guy to set up the interview. Unfortunately for me I had a last minute emergency out of town and had to call to change the interview. The Amtrak HR guy was pretty firm that if I wanted the interview, I needed to be there. I could not but I was able to talk them into a phone interview, (bad choice). The phone interview was almost an hour and a half long. The Superintendent for Chicago's Mechanical Department and one of his assistants fired off question after question from a script. I knew about halfway through it that I wasn't going to get it. I really needed to be there in person. Lesson learned. No real loss, I still have a great job, (although upward mobility is somewhat limited by the size of the company). This was I believe my 4th or 5th resume sent to Amtrak over the years. I get the bug every so often and fire one off just for fun mostly. I was shocked when they actually called me for that interview. Hang in there and good luck!

Mark

Good to know. I'm been a great employee for my current company and I'm SURE they have nothing but priase for me. However, I'm uneasy that they would call without me knowing. Sounds like a call wouldn't happen until after a job application would be submitted (if I'm even sent one). Did you application have a box to check about not calling current employers?

Mike S.

The Amtrak interviewer (or any other prospective employer, for that matter), can do other things as well. One tactic frequently used by the FBI when considering someone for employment is to ask the potential recruits' personal references if they can mention someone else who knew potential recruit. They would then interview the individual that the reference mentioned. In other words, applicant "A" lists person "B" as a reference. FBI asks person "B" if there is anyone else who would know "A." Person "B" names person "C." The FBI then interviews person "C," as well as person "B," regarding applicant "A." Kind of complicated, but you had better be ready for this sort of thing. There are services that can find out what your references would say about you, and they can be found just by exercising a bit of Google-fu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know. I'm been a great employee for my current company and I'm SURE they have nothing but priase for me. However, I'm uneasy that they would call without me knowing. Sounds like a call wouldn't happen until after a job application would be submitted (if I'm even sent one). Did you application have a box to check about not calling current employers?
Mike S.
I thought I saved mine but I can't find it right now. I think it asked for three references w/phone #s, title, relationship, etc. Its a standard style application/form. So I guess just put down who you want them to contact and give those people a 'heads up' so that they aren't surprised and back you. My boss mentioned it casually that they called but did not go into any details and I didn't ask him- we're not THAT close. Its hard for me to timeline out when they actually called because the whole process spanned about 9 weeks, (from the time my resume went in the mail until the phone-interview). I hope this helps a bit.

Mark

What type of job are you looking for with them?

Amtrak has way more applicants than positions available. Amtrak also has an extensive referral program from what I have heard; so if you know anyone who works for Amtrak, even just a friendly acquaintance that can be of help. I like to emphasize whenever someone says "I want to work for Amtrak" that it's not an easy job to get. Or so it seems. While I have not worked for Amtrak, I have worked for a local shortline railroad. That job was difficult to get; I can only imagine what a mainline railroad requires.

This thread is from 2008. (Why do guests keep digging up ancient posts and bring them to the top?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back