Amtrak luggage question for Thruway buses and trains too

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uptheirons29

Train Attendant
Hi, guys.....loong time since I have been here,and now that I have a huge trip starting Wednesday early morning, I have questions regarding luggage...

I am moving to Michigan from Southern California, and will be carrying 5 bags, including 2 carry on bags. My question is , since one of those carry on bags weighs close to 40lbs, would it be a problem on the Thruway buses?

My itinerary is as follows: Oceanside to Fullerton on the Pacific Surfliner. Then Fullerton to Bakersfield via Thruway the next morning, San Joaquin train from Bakersfield to Fresno, Thruway to Sacramento, the Zephyr to Chicago, and finally, the Pere Marquette to Holland, MI.

please help me sort this out if you could. Thank you so much in advance

In general, if you can lug it by yourself, no one really cares. You big carry-ons will be put in the baggage compartment of the thruway buses.

Bus to Sacramento from Fresno??? I thought that always happened at Stockton.

40lbs for a carryon should be fine, as long as it is within the posted size restrictions for carry-on baggage - all bags go under the bus. However, you should know that there is no checked baggage on the Pere Marquette (or any of the Amtrak Michigan trains, for that matter), so you will be limited to just the 2 carry-ons. You would be able to check the three bags as far as CHI as long as they met size requirements (they do have checked baggage on the California buses, and they would probably just send the bags on the Southwest Chief LAX-CHI anyway), but that doesn't help you get them to Michigan.

As such, I think you're going to either have to transport the 3 bags by alternate means, or rent a car/have someone pick you up in Chicago. Definitely not ideal - it would be nice to have checked baggage on Michigan trains, but they don't (I believe they used to offer it and it got cut at some point).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, you're going to have trouble getting the bags to Michigan. Amtrak's official policy is to not check bags at all, when your final destination doesn't offer checked baggage service, even though your first train do offer it. That is, unless you sign a waiver, saying that you are responsible for getting your bags in Chicago. I haven't seen this always done, but it depends on the agent you get. A way around it, is to just have your tickets already, but just say your final destination is Chicago, and not show the agent your final ticket. Again, I haven't seen this happen every time, but the station agents here in Dallas will explain this to anyone connecting to Michigan trains and wanting to check bags to Chicago. Mostly this reason comes from the fact that a train might be late, but not late enough for you to miss your connection. You wouldn't have time to claim your bags and then go make your next train.

As far as the bus goes, you should have no problem with a 40 lb. bag. Amtrak's 50 lb. limit also applies to its buses.

Yeah, and even if you were able to check them to Chicago, you wouldn't be able to take all 5 bags on the Pere Marquette anyway - you'd be limited to the 2 allotted carry-ons. So that doesn't help you unless you can make alternate arrangements for transportation from Chicago and just check them there (and cancel your Pere Marquette ticket)..

Yeah, and even if you were able to check them to Chicago, you wouldn't be able to take all 5 bags on the Pere Marquette anyway - you'd be limited to the 2 allotted carry-ons. So that doesn't help you unless you can make alternate arrangements for transportation from Chicago and just check them there (and cancel your Pere Marquette ticket)..
I think that you might be able to do this. Most of the train crews are understanding especially if this is a one-time occurrence and they do not have to handle the bags themselves. So as soon as you can after yous arrival in CUS engage the services of a redcap to take your bags to the Pere Marquette. I would compensate his well for his services and he will help you get your bags onto the train. Have a friend meet you at Holland to help you off-load. Finally welcome to the midwest!

I chatted via Skype to my g/f, the person im moving in with in Michigan, about an hour ago and she is trying to ask for Friday off so she can pick me up in Chicago....if I have enough $ i would spring for a hotel room in CHI....as it is, I hope this pick up plan will work.

Thank you for your responses...I was not aware of the Amtrak Michigan trains not having checked luggage service nor of the fact that the Thruway buses have the same rules as the train...I will hope i dont have to take the Pere Marquette then.

And yes, my train from Bakersfield does end up in Stockton, not Fresno...my mistake on that :) Do Amtrak California trains have similar lugagge requirements too?

Do Amtrak California trains have similar lugagge requirements too?
I am fairly certain that the baggage limit is a systemwide policy. However, I have never seen it enforce on these trains. It gets to, if you can lug it, you can take it. Ever few months we make a trip from San Francisco to Fresno, and commonly have stuff making a one way trip so we have also violated the rule. For us, a couple of times this has been to even if you can't get it all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back