Amtrak Metropolitan Lounges

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you able to store bags at Los Angeles Union Station Metropolitan lounge?

The last time I was in that lounge, there was no dedicated storage location. Some attendants allowed bag storage in the conference room, others allowed storage near the desk and others did not permit storage. Unless things have changed, I think the answer is maybe.

The last time I was in that lounge, there was no dedicated storage location. Some attendants allowed bag storage in the conference room, others allowed storage near the desk and others did not permit storage. Unless things have changed, I think the answer is maybe.
When I was there in October of 2022 for the San Diego Gathering, they had turned the Conference Room into a Luggage Room, and you day checked your bags and got a Luggage check, just like in the Old Chicago Metro Lounge!

Every time I have been there (about 5 times), they have used the conference room as a storage room.

We've not had any issue in Chicago. We use one of those foldable 4 wheel carts for our luggage. I sometimes take my transfer chair, it all fits in the cart (You can get them from Academy Sports). We use a luggage cable with a padlock, and secure it to the shelf, but there's plenty of slack to allow someone to move it in case it blocks a shelf.
But then I wear a belt AND suspenders...
BTW, lately, the Chicago Lounge attendants have been super nice. And to be honest, one day the Dragon Lady went out of her way to rebook us when the Cardinal was canceled. We ended up in a bedroom instead of a roomette at no extra cost. I would bring her a Texas souvenir or treat, she was always nice to me, but I saw her in DL mode a few times.

Last edited:
We've not had any issue in Chicago. We use one of those foldable 4 wheel carts for our luggage. I sometimes take my transfer chair, it all fits in the cart (You can get them from Academy Sports). We use a luggage cable with a padlock, and secure it to the shelf, but there's plenty of slack to allow someone to move it in case it blocks a shelf.
BTW, lately, the Chicago Lounge attendants have been super nice. And to be honest, one day the Dragon Lady went out of her way to rebook us when the Cardinal was canceled. We ended up in a Room instead of a bedroom at no extra cost. I would bring her a Texas souvenir or treat, she was always nice to me, but I saw her in DL mode a few times.
I am curious about your cart. We will be travelling from CHI to SLC on the Zephyr later this spring, we have a bedroom reserved if that helps. All in all it will be a 2 week trip, so we will have a bit of luggage. Am debating bringing a Rollator or just buying one in SLC, but that is another story. But I think your idea about the folding cart might ease my mind as far as getting our goods from car to trains to ?.

I am curious about your cart. We will be travelling from CHI to SLC on the Zephyr later this spring, we have a bedroom reserved if that helps. All in all it will be a 2 week trip, so we will have a bit of luggage. Am debating bringing a Rollator or just buying one in SLC, but that is another story. But I think your idea about the folding cart might ease my mind as far as getting our goods from car to trains to ?.

Here's the cart: https://www.academy.com/p/academy-sports-outdoors-folding-sports-wagon-with-removable-bed

Our news crews used them at the TV station. I repaired them once in a while, usually just a wheel bent, but considering they were used daily I had no real issue. I like the folding feature - just pull up on the little handle in the middle of the bed, et voila! We carry this:

Since you will be on the Zephyr, you won't have to stock up to avoid the FLEX stuff, but you can pick from our standard packup.

The "Pantry": https://www.academy.com/search?searchTerm=4 wheel cart (with the Keurig one cup brewer, my clothes, window washing pole, 8' AC extension cord with USB outlets, and dry goods/snacks in a soft tote).

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Electric-Portable-Thermoelectric-Adapter
My daughter's small suitcase, granddaughter's small suitcase

Ivation Electric Cooler & Warmer with Handle |27 Quart (25 L) Portable Thermoelectric Fridge For vehicles & Trucks| 110V AC Home Power Cord & 12V Car Adapter for Camping, Travel & Picnics - Cools, warms, 110V/12V, uses Peltier chip.

All fit standing in the cart. I've also got my rolling computer bag, and small handbags can sit atop. two or three Bungee cords. Sometimes we put the wheeled devices on top, but usually I just push it. At trainside, it's so organized, the crews enjoy it. I also have a security cable to run from one end of the cart to the other to secure the entire device in luggage rooms, etc.

We store the cart (collapsed) downstairs with the big bag, and just take the cooler and pantry, purses, computer bag to the room.

We actually prefer the Family Bedroom (sometimes less expensive), as you get windows on both sides of the car, plenty of room, and frankly, the toilets and shower just 20 feet away is no big deal. There's less traffic down there, and it's convenient to step off on "fresh air" stops. It's also easy to wash the window. They are usually filthy. (I wash the Fireman's side at DAL, and the Engineer's side at Mineola).

If we travel in a bedroom, I take a "transfer chair" - it's a four wheel lightweight version of a wheelchair. It fits perfectly over the folding torture chair in bedrooms, and can be used as a short distance wheelchair - like museum visits, etc.

Rollators and transfer chairs can be found at Goodwill and similar stores. I'm ambulatory, but standing for long periods is uncomfortable.

I detest the slop they call "FLEX Dining". So when that is the fare, we dine on fresh made sandwiches, chips, dip, cheese, OJ, mini donuts, fresh hot coffee at any time. Christi has her chilled wine, I have my corn squeezings. Even hot chocolate in the evenings from the Keurig.
Take a couple of Ziploc bags for ice. Usually the SCAs will bring it, or the SnackBar. We freeze a few bottles of water, which helps the cooler, and if you can't score ice, a few raps with my Leatherman tool does the trick.

And believe it or not, this little baby is fun to use, will let you stay informed of what is transpiring. It's easy to program the freqs for your trip, and fun to play with, even when you aren't riding. Promise me you won't transmit unless you are a licensed operator.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C39TNNN..._0?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_plhdr=t&aref=FVNCFxFzcm&th=1

Monitor channels for each AMTRAK route can be found at http://on-track-on-line.com/amtrak-freqs.shtml

At first glance it may look like a little overkill, but a couple of minutes to load/unload the cart is a small price to pay for the convenience, both at the train station and elsewhere. Having the cooler and the "pantry" in the hotel room is great.

The Italian Village in downtown Chicago prepares entrees for us to import to Texas. Austin (the manager) has them par cooked and packaged, waiting for me on departure day, and I Uber over to the restaurant about 11, pick up a few items for us to enjoy in Dallas. We have been known to take a fresh pizza for lunch. They will stack it in a more manageable box.

I'm Jonesing for another AMTRAK voyage, but have to wait until April. We ride AMTRAK for the experience, convenience, and enjoyment. The voyage is the vacation.

Let us know how you get on!

Planning a trip into Philly on sleeper. Where is the lounge in the station and how you access it not able to find a map of the station?

Planning a trip into Philly on sleeper. Where is the lounge in the station and how you access it not able to find a map of the station?

Find this statue and turn left and go down a hallway to stairs. If you can't do stairs a Red Cap can take you up.

Better yet, ask your conductor to arrange a red cap to meet your train and s/he can take you up to the lounge from the platform. Generally we tip red caps $5/bag

1708383859547.png

Is Metropolitan Lounge access allowed for Acela First Class tickets on arrival? I have a train booked next month and I will be arriving about a couple hours earlier than where I need to be, and was wondering if I can get into the lounge on my ticket to have a nice place to sit and get some work done.

Is Metropolitan Lounge access allowed for Acela First Class tickets on arrival? I have a train booked next month and I will be arriving about a couple hours earlier than where I need to be, and was wondering if I can get into the lounge on my ticket to have a nice place to sit and get some work done.
Yes, as long as you have a same-day First Class ticket, you'll get lounge access (even at your destination station).

BTW, lately, the Chicago Lounge attendants have been super nice. And to be honest, one day the Dragon Lady went out of her way to rebook us when the Cardinal was canceled. We ended up in a bedroom instead of a roomette at no extra cost. I would bring her a Texas souvenir or treat, she was always nice to me, but I saw her in DL mode a few times.
She's always treated me fairly. She's a bit gruff and direct and that bothers some folks I suppose.

Here's the cart: https://www.academy.com/p/academy-sports-outdoors-folding-sports-wagon-with-removable-bed

Our news crews used them at the TV station. I repaired them once in a while, usually just a wheel bent, but considering they were used daily I had no real issue. I like the folding feature - just pull up on the little handle in the middle of the bed, et voila! We carry this:

Since you will be on the Zephyr, you won't have to stock up to avoid the FLEX stuff, but you can pick from our standard packup.

The "Pantry": https://www.academy.com/search?searchTerm=4 wheel cart (with the Keurig one cup brewer, my clothes, window washing pole, 8' AC extension cord with USB outlets, and dry goods/snacks in a soft tote).

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Electric-Portable-Thermoelectric-Adapter
My daughter's small suitcase, granddaughter's small suitcase

Ivation Electric Cooler & Warmer with Handle |27 Quart (25 L) Portable Thermoelectric Fridge For vehicles & Trucks| 110V AC Home Power Cord & 12V Car Adapter for Camping, Travel & Picnics - Cools, warms, 110V/12V, uses Peltier chip.

All fit standing in the cart. I've also got my rolling computer bag, and small handbags can sit atop. two or three Bungee cords. Sometimes we put the wheeled devices on top, but usually I just push it. At trainside, it's so organized, the crews enjoy it. I also have a security cable to run from one end of the cart to the other to secure the entire device in luggage rooms, etc.

We store the cart (collapsed) downstairs with the big bag, and just take the cooler and pantry, purses, computer bag to the room.

We actually prefer the Family Bedroom (sometimes less expensive), as you get windows on both sides of the car, plenty of room, and frankly, the toilets and shower just 20 feet away is no big deal. There's less traffic down there, and it's convenient to step off on "fresh air" stops. It's also easy to wash the window. They are usually filthy. (I wash the Fireman's side at DAL, and the Engineer's side at Mineola).

If we travel in a bedroom, I take a "transfer chair" - it's a four wheel lightweight version of a wheelchair. It fits perfectly over the folding torture chair in bedrooms, and can be used as a short distance wheelchair - like museum visits, etc.

Rollators and transfer chairs can be found at Goodwill and similar stores. I'm ambulatory, but standing for long periods is uncomfortable.

I detest the slop they call "FLEX Dining". So when that is the fare, we dine on fresh made sandwiches, chips, dip, cheese, OJ, mini donuts, fresh hot coffee at any time. Christi has her chilled wine, I have my corn squeezings. Even hot chocolate in the evenings from the Keurig.
Take a couple of Ziploc bags for ice. Usually the SCAs will bring it, or the SnackBar. We freeze a few bottles of water, which helps the cooler, and if you can't score ice, a few raps with my Leatherman tool does the trick.

And believe it or not, this little baby is fun to use, will let you stay informed of what is transpiring. It's easy to program the freqs for your trip, and fun to play with, even when you aren't riding. Promise me you won't transmit unless you are a licensed operator.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C39TNNN..._0?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_plhdr=t&aref=FVNCFxFzcm&th=1

Monitor channels for each AMTRAK route can be found at http://on-track-on-line.com/amtrak-freqs.shtml

At first glance it may look like a little overkill, but a couple of minutes to load/unload the cart is a small price to pay for the convenience, both at the train station and elsewhere. Having the cooler and the "pantry" in the hotel room is great.

The Italian Village in downtown Chicago prepares entrees for us to import to Texas. Austin (the manager) has them par cooked and packaged, waiting for me on departure day, and I Uber over to the restaurant about 11, pick up a few items for us to enjoy in Dallas. We have been known to take a fresh pizza for lunch. They will stack it in a more manageable box.

I'm Jonesing for another AMTRAK voyage, but have to wait until April. We ride AMTRAK for the experience, convenience, and enjoyment. The voyage is the vacation.

Let us know how you get on!
Wow, voyage is a perfect description. With that steamer trunk on wheels and all your extras. The only way to travel.

Does anybody know if they're still allowing you to bring outside food into the Metropolitain Lounge in New York?
I'm so happy to see 245 return, I may go down and back Wednesday just to watch a couple of basketball games I don't care about.

Does anybody know if they're still allowing you to bring outside food into the Metropolitain Lounge in New York?
I'm so happy to see 245 return, I may go down and back Wednesday just to watch a couple of basketball games I don't care about.
Did you not like the complimentary sandwiches and other offerings?

Last time I was there, I only saw bagals and other small stuff. Maybe I was there at the wrong time?
I haven't been there at breakfast, so I don't know what the normal offerings are. During the day, they usually have 2 small hot mini-sandwiches available, plus some salads. While everything is small, you're welcome to request as many as you like. Unfortunately, they do occasionally miss a delivery, which reduces the selection.

I can report that a few days ago, the staff at the Chicago lounge were reasonably polite and helpful. The food selection was minimal, just a few bags of chips and nuts. They had a good collection of beverages, and to their credit, a very nice pay bar.

Still, would be great if they were inspired by Moynihan to up their game.

Last May, I was at the lounge in Moynihan at about 10:30/11AM to catch mid-day train south to Baltimore. You would think that they might have had the lunch items, like the salads and wraps, out, but they still had the breakfast items on display. A bit of a disappointment, as I had to buy lunch in the cafe car on board the train. But the lounge was still very nice to wait in. Last November, I went to the food court at Moynihan and bought a pastrami sandwich at Pastrami Queen, brought it up and made a full lunch with a salad and soda from the lounge's offerings. I had no problem eating outside food in the lounge. I think the banning of outside food in the lounge is a Washington thing.

Last May, I was at the lounge in Moynihan at about 10:30/11AM to catch mid-day train south to Baltimore. You would think that they might have had the lunch items, like the salads and wraps, out, but they still had the breakfast items on display. A bit of a disappointment, as I had to buy lunch in the cafe car on board the train. But the lounge was still very nice to wait in. Last November, I went to the food court at Moynihan and bought a pastrami sandwich at Pastrami Queen, brought it up and made a full lunch with a salad and soda from the lounge's offerings. I had no problem eating outside food in the lounge. I think the banning of outside food in the lounge is a Washington thing.
DC hasn’t banned outside food for sometime now. I rarely use the lounge but recall eating in it my most recent time there.

Let us know for sure, I will be there in October.
Moynihan Amtrak Lounge is the best Amtrak lounge in the country, without question. They have the patio overlooking the main Hall and I'm sure no one is going to see you eating your own food. Their food selection is beyond comparison to any other Amtrak lounge. Hot food fresh salads, fresh fruit salads...and as much as you like. Every other lounge in the country is about the same...bagged chip, candies and hot and cold beverages...nothing as close to Moynihan. Try it and you'll know what a lounge should be like.

Last time I was there, I only saw bagals and other small stuff. Maybe I was there at the wrong time wrong lounge.

I'm thinking that you were in the wrong lounge. I've been in the Metropolitan Lounge in Moynihan Hall 5 times and each time there are hot and cold food choice, fresh salads, hot and cold beverage. There is no other Amtrak lounge in the country that comes. close to it.

Recently rode the SL from LAX to Houston. While dining and visiting with other diners during the trip, we found 4 individuals who got on in LAX, had sleeper tickets, and had no idea there was a Metropolitan Lounge. I went to the website and looked at "Features" under the LAX station. It does say Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge. However, these were either first-time riders or one who hadn't taken the train in over 30 years. And even if they had seen it under "Features" they wouldn't know what it was and wouldn't know it's for sleeper passengers only because the website doesn't specify this. So how would they even know? Seems that Amtrak could make it well known to all sleeper passengers when they buy a ticket that if they choose, they have a specific lounge available if they're boarding in a Met Lounge station. To a person they all said it would have been nice to have known this especially for what they paid for the ticket.

Back