Amtrak P32AC-DM's.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
I am a fan of the Diesel of the P32AC-DM of Amtrak and so does everybody like the Amtrak P32AC-DM?

Good Luck. :)

Wow this post is reminding me of that Ricardo guy from a while back . . . but anways, P32DMs seem to be pretty loud to me, more so then other genesis units. I got close to take some pictures while one was idling at the yard in Albany and I was suprised at the amount of sound it was producing. The idling F40PHs were very quiet compared to the P32. But the P32 was coupled to an Amfleet coach, maybe it was louder because it was producing HEP as well? The P40s on our trip last fall were very quiet, standing in the front vestibule of the first coach right behind the engine, you couldnt even hear them, the only way you could tell they were running was the slight vibration. They even seemed quiet when we boarded through the same vestibule at Pittsfield!

Amtrak Railfan said:
I am a fan of the Diesel of the P32AC-DM of Amtrak and so does everybody like the Amtrak P32AC-DM?
I like the engine for what its capable of, which is its ability to run both via its own diesel and via the LIRR third rail power. :) Beyond that I'm not enough of an expert to say whether it's better or worse than any other Amtrak diesel.

It's too bad that New Jersey Transist can't get a dual-mode diesel that could pull power from the Northeast Corridor's overhead catenary. :(

Well considering it looks like and does everything P-40 and P-42 can do, but goes one step further by being able to be powered by electric third rail, I have to say I do like the P-32AC-DM. :)

I dont think it has the range of a P40 or P42 because Im pretty sure it has smaller fuel takes due to the Dual Mode Equipment on the underbody.

There are a very few P32DMs around still in their original Phase III fade out scheme, my favorite of all time. Great looking units, thats one of the reasons I like em so much.

Unfortunately (though Phase V is kind of funky in a way) only a few units remain in Phase III. According to an unconfirmed/unofficial post on Trainorders these units are

P-24 Locomotives #29-32

P-32AC-DC #700, 706, 707

Amfleet said:
Unfortunately (though Phase V is kind of funky in a way) only a few units remain in Phase III. According to an unconfirmed/unofficial post on Trainorders these units are
P-24 Locomotives #29-32

P-32AC-DC #700, 706, 707
Uh, what's a P24? :unsure:

Did you mean a P42? :)

Well its too bad I think that phase III is pretty much gone from the entire system, but i dont think phase V is that bad anymore. When it first came out I though it was horrible, but Now I just think its simply unattractive! Sorta getting use to it. Hey 32 is still in Phase III? Sweet! Ive got a model of #32 in Phase III so its still prototypical. My only other Genesis model, P40 #803, to be prototypical Ill have to put it in Phase IV and put it out of service behind my shops! :p

how come Amtrak has decided to leave this small group of P42s painted in phase III for so long while it repainted pretty much all of their other units into Phase V quickly?

AlanB said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
I like the engine for what its capable of, which is its ability to run both via its own diesel and via the LIRR third rail power. :) Beyond that I'm not enough of an expert to say whether it's better or worse than any other Amtrak diesel.

It's too bad that New Jersey Transist can't get a dual-mode diesel that could pull power from the Northeast Corridor's overhead catenary. :(
I agree with you about having a Dual Mode for the NEC, would be great for all the NJ Transit lines (eventually). The three lines that would probably get the most/best usage would be the Raritan Valley, Montclair/Booton, and North Jersey Coast Line (Long Branch to Bay Head). They also could be used for Hacketstown (via the Morris and Essex) and eventually the Lackawanna Cutoff.

I'm going to miss Phase III, but I plan to get a few Viewliners painted in it.

P40Power said:
how come Amtrak has decided to leave this small group of P42s painted in phase III for so long while it repainted pretty much all of their other units into Phase V quickly?
Well remember many units, about 50%, were in Phase IV before Phase V showed up. Then the 85 new P-42 units were factory painted in Phase V, so now, along with the Phase IV units, only 25% of the P-42 fleet was in Phase III by 2001. Since then all units going through they're annual inspections have received the Phase V paint. Now for some reason the few units left in Phase III are just about to go for inspection/repair or when they did they were not repainted for a variety of reasons (most likely power shortage).

Yeah arent the units still in phase III based mostly on routes out of chicago, especially the Detriot runs because they have that special cab singnaling devices?

No the Ac-DM's are Albany-NYP engines, and that's about it. They are used for that run solely because of third rail pickups into Penn Station. Amtrak runs an all diesel fleet of P-42's out of Chi-town. A few of te units are still in III, but a more and more are getting Vb.

When the Amtrak F40s left the Empire Service Trains? :)

The F40PHs didnt leave Empire Service trains too long ago. They were able to be seen quite frequently hauling the Maple Leaf up to early last year!

Well the reason for that was VIA Mechanical in Toronto (and VIA Engineers) were not trained on the P-42, so an F-40 had to be used for familiarity purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back