Amtrak P32AC-DM's.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak Railfan said:
Are all FL9s keep in Albany NY? :)
Amtrak no longer uses FL-9's at all.

If they even have any left that they own, although I think that they've all been sold or scrapped, they would most likely be stored either in Deleware or Beach Grove, Illinios. However unless they are hidden behind the Albany shop building, there are no FL-9's in Albany.

Hello does the P32AC-DM runing on the Ethan Allen Express from New York Penn Station to Rutland VT or change Diesels? :) :rolleyes:

That's a good question, I'd think it'd change in Albany, but it may not, Alan should be able to answer that one. I'll ask my buddy who's an Engineer out of Albany though.

P32's never run past Albany. All trains continuing north or west of Albany will change engines at Albany. The P32 will come off and a P42 will go on.

Since there is a limited number of P32's, they try to keep the mileage down on those units. Therefore they are only allowed to run between Albany and Penn Station along with the short ride to the Sunnyside Yards in Queens. Otherwise they never leave the Empire Corridor, except for major overhauls and repairs.

Well there you go. The units have ocasionally escaped the Albany-NYP run for overhaul in either Wilmington Diesel or New Orleans as seen in this picture, where engine 700 deadheads on the Crescent:
amt700c.jpg
But for the most part Albany-Rensselaer shops can handle any repairs that the engines need.

I should note that particular photo is courtesy of Jim Hebner's site, and photo by GP Harper.

Nice Shot, too bad there aren't enough to avoid an engine change, or they're just adding a P-42 behind the P-32 so no HEP is lost.

Viewliner said:
Nice Shot, too bad there aren't enough to avoid an engine change, or they're just adding a P-42 behind the P-32 so no HEP is lost.
Well since their function is somewhat specialized, in that they are dual powered, that raises the cost of the engines. Why pay more money for extra dual mode engines that provide no advantage, except to get into Penn Station.

Better to buy serveral more standard engines, P40's & P42's, and just switch out in Albany. Or better yet, save that extra money for an extra Viewliner or two. :)

Plus you also have to consider the fact that the P32's have a few less horses pulling them, than do the P40's or P42's. So once you start climbing some of those mountains west and especially north of Albany, you want every horse you can get to help you climb that hill.

Can somebody please give me Photos of the Amtrak's Albany Station with the photos of the Lake Shore Limited and the yard please.

Thank you. :D :) B)

Amtrak Railfan said:
Can somebody please give me Photos of the Amtrak's Albany Station with the photos of the Lake Shore Limited and the yard please.

Thank you. :D :) B)
Go to my site, then Amtrak Photos, and Station and Other photos for Albany Pictures.

3200 HP minus a few hundred for HEP. Im not sure how much HP the units have in 3rd rail power mode. All in all they make somewhere in the high 2000s for HP. This makes them some of the least powerful road units Amtrak has, though the AC traction motors make up for what the units lack in HP with their high tractive effort.

The AC-DM is definitely designed to handle light trains at high speeds, similar to the AEM-7. The LSL's 8-10 car trains is about what the AC-DM will max out at and still be a good hauling engine.

Actually, the AEM-7's are pretty power full. The can pull 12 cars, 14 at max. It has been done. When the Acela Reginals first came out they were running 2 units for 12 car trains, but as more electrics were needed 1 units was being assigned to 12 car trains. Now however, the Regionals only run with about 8 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back