Amtrak Refund Policy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Pilot

Train Attendant
Here's a question for the assembled wisdom of the crowd. Does Amtrak ever waive their refund policies?

Here's the scenario. I'm supposed to head out tomorrow from NPN to a conference in DEN that runs the back half of the week. Additionally, one of the meetings is crucial and cannot be missed (next Thurs). Unfortunately, I came down with the flu this past Thurs and since then have been running a spiking fever of around 103 cycling back to 99 every few hours (basically as the Advil wears off).

My company is paying for the train/sleeper on the theory that the cost is a wash (very low bucket apparently). But if I have to cancel (presumably before 4PM tomorrow when the Capitol Limited departs) then I'll have to fly out to Denver. The company won't pay for both a plane ticket and a train fare.

As I understand Amtrak's policy, I'm ineligible for a full refund since on the accommodations charges since I didn't cancel 7 days out. So I'll be stuck with buying an expensive train ride. FYI, I have not printed the tickets and booked the reservation online through Amtrak's website. The charge has come through on my corporate card.

Anyone have experience throwing themselves on the mercy of the agent? Would a doctor's note help?

I'm hopeful that I'll rally and be able to head out tomorrow as planned though I don't think I'll be enjoying riding the rails all that much if I feel crappy. Such is life.

Blue skies ..

Here's a question for the assembled wisdom of the crowd. Does Amtrak ever waive their refund policies?

Here's the scenario. I'm supposed to head out tomorrow from NPN to a conference in DEN that runs the back half of the week. Additionally, one of the meetings is crucial and cannot be missed (next Thurs). Unfortunately, I came down with the flu this past Thurs and since then have been running a spiking fever of around 103 cycling back to 99 every few hours (basically as the Advil wears off).

My company is paying for the train/sleeper on the theory that the cost is a wash (very low bucket apparently). But if I have to cancel (presumably before 4PM tomorrow when the Capitol Limited departs) then I'll have to fly out to Denver. The company won't pay for both a plane ticket and a train fare.

As I understand Amtrak's policy, I'm ineligible for a full refund since on the accommodations charges since I didn't cancel 7 days out. So I'll be stuck with buying an expensive train ride. FYI, I have not printed the tickets and booked the reservation online through Amtrak's website. The charge has come through on my corporate card.

Anyone have experience throwing themselves on the mercy of the agent? Would a doctor's note help?

I'm hopeful that I'll rally and be able to head out tomorrow as planned though I don't think I'll be enjoying riding the rails all that much if I feel crappy. Such is life.

Blue skies ..
I have been pleased with their response to refund exceptions, but all have been for good cause and cogently presented. Lay out your case for a medical exception.

Just remember that even if they don't give you a refund, they will issue you a voucher (good for 1 year) for the FULL VALUE!
cool.gif
(Try to get that from the airlines!
laugh.gif
)

Just remember that even if they don't give you a refund, they will issue you a voucher (good for 1 year) for the FULL VALUE! (Try to get that from the airlines!)
I've gotten that very thing from Southwest Airlines at least three times in the past year. Even got one on Continental a few years ago on a non-refundable fare.

I hope Amtrak never adopts airline policy. Hopefully you get to feel better and make the trip :) but if not go for the voucher and save it for use on a vacation. Why ruin a good train trip with business anyway :p good luck. On second thoughtI have known a member of this forum to say "when you aren't felling well take 2 trains and call me in the morning" :lol: seriusly though i hope you get better soon

One idea is to call them and change the date of your reservation to beyond 7 days and then call later to get the refund. My plans changed on a trip last month and I was able to change the date of travel (with sleeper) with no penalty.

Blue skies ..
If your corporate travel was booked through an agency, then the agency may be able to help. Agents can have more influence and can contact different people at Amtrak than individuals. If not, then call and plead your case. Amtrak should be happy that you are not taking your illness on board where the enclosed environment can spread it to others. Coughing and hacking while on the phone might not be a bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have some questions on canceling a trip. Unfortionatly I didn't know it is more difficult to cancel once you print out the tickets. I guess I was thinking the actual tickets are more secure than a piece of paper with a bar code on it.

Do they give a voucher for each ticket (i.e. one for me and one for my wife) or is it just one voucher?

Can the vouchers only be used at an Amtrak station agent or can you book online? I understand I need to return my paper tickets to an agent at a station.

What if the fare of your new booking is less than the cost of the voucher, do they give you a new voucher for the difference?

Do they give a voucher for each ticket (i.e. one for me and one for my wife) or is it just one voucher?
I'm really not sure, because I've only done it for myself. But if you do each separately, you should get 2 vouchers (which are actually like tickets with the value printed on them).

Can the vouchers only be used at an Amtrak station agent or can you book online? I understand I need to return my paper tickets to an agent at a station.
You do need to return the tickets to a station, and you can not use them (currently) on line (but that may change).

What if the fare of your new booking is less than the cost of the voucher, do they give you a new voucher for the difference?
Yes, you will get a new voucher for the remainder!

Just remember that even if they don't give you a refund, they will issue you a voucher (good for 1 year) for the FULL VALUE! (Try to get that from the airlines!)
I've gotten that very thing from Southwest Airlines at least three times in the past year. Even got one on Continental a few years ago on a non-refundable fare.
Dosen't mean Southwest matches the train, even close. Continental was better, but it's going to get eaten up by big bad UA.

Dosen't mean Southwest matches the train, even close. Continental was better, but it's going to get eaten up by big bad UA.
The question was whether or not airlines will give you a voucher/credit for the value of the trip if you cancel. They do. Nothing more was mentioned in that statement, and nothing more was implied.

For what it's worth, Southwest Airlines had, and probably will continue to have, the most generous exchange/reticketing policies of any airline in the country for your standard discount/nonrefundable fares.

Well gang .. thanks for the input. As an update if anyone cared, it turns out I felt well enough this morning to manage a three hour ride from NPN to WAS (we just departed FBG). After that, I don't much care because I can sleep the rest of the time, ask for extra blankets, and take meals in the room if I need to. I have to admit I do enjoy the wi-fi on the NER train. Looking forward to seeing CUS as I've never been there and I've never been to Denver period.

Regarding receipt of a voucher, that really wouldn't be ideal. I wouldn't normally tie up ~$500+ out of my pocket for train travel. Better than losing it altogether but still not ideal. But fortunately this has worked out. Now I just have to schlep my bags thru WAS to get them checked onward.

Thanks again for the advice and input. It always amazes me how responsive, knowledgeable, and quick the posters here are. Makes the board a pleasure to read while waiting the too long months between train rides.

Blue skies ..

I also have some questions on canceling a trip. Unfortionatly I didn't know it is more difficult to cancel once you print out the tickets. I guess I was thinking the actual tickets are more secure than a piece of paper with a bar code on it.

You can also just ask the agent to cancel the space in your reservation, and then the paper ticket(s) you hold can be used as de facto exchange vouchers for one year from the time you paid. There shouldn't be a need to have the value reissued in a formal exchange voucher, as an agent can simply apply the value of your ticket to a new booking.

Just remember that even if they don't give you a refund, they will issue you a voucher (good for 1 year) for the FULL VALUE!
cool.gif
(Try to get that from the airlines!
laugh.gif
)
Actually for a refundable fare they will just refund the amount to the original instrument. For non refundables you will be able to use the whole amount towards a different itinerary. Depending on the fare conditions, and these vary a lot, a change fee may be involved, which if applicable has to be paid separately.

I'm really not sure, because I've only done it for myself. But if you do each separately, you should get 2 vouchers (which are actually like tickets with the value printed on them).
One voucher for both. And since I assume that both tickets are on the same reservation, they both must be turned in at the same time. An agent cannot refund half of a reservation.

You do need to return the tickets to a station, and you can not use them (currently) on line (but that may change).
eVouchers are here! Amtrak now issues eVouchers for refunds which can be used either in person or by phone. I don't believe that the online system can as of yet handle them.

Yes, you will get a new voucher for the remainder!
No new voucher, the eVoucher's total is simply reduced by the amount spent.

Finally, as noted by Anthony, one could just call to cancel things and then hold onto the tickets for up to 1 year and then exchange them for new tickets. Note: This method means that you must visit with a live agent to pay for that next trip.

And difference on the exchange would receive an eVoucher.

And since I assume that both tickets are on the same reservation, they both must be turned in at the same time. An agent cannot refund half of a reservation.
What if you purchased round trip tickets that are on the same reservation and you only want to return one directoim.

And since I assume that both tickets are on the same reservation, they both must be turned in at the same time. An agent cannot refund half of a reservation.
What if you purchased round trip tickets that are on the same reservation and you only want to return one directoim.
I guess that I was half asleep when I wrote that. You could technically turn in one ticket, and get credit for that one ticket. But why would you not turn in both at the same time. It would be very odd. And even if one were to do that, unless the eVoucher issued for the first ticket was used up and closed before the second ticket was turned in, I would expect that the value of the second ticket would simply be added to the existing eVoucher.

What you cannot do is turn in one ticket and expect to get the value of the other ticket in that refund voucher.

And certainly you can turn in say the return leg of tickets, even if you used the first leg or some other leg, under normal circumstances. Do be careful however, as some special priced itineraries may preclude a refund of any part of the trip once the first leg has indeed been used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back