Amtrak Series

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak839

Lead Service Attendant
With the world series being played along the NEC this year, I would have to imagine the Yankees and Phillies will be using Amtrak to travel between NYP and PHL. What kind of equipment does Amtrak have in reserve for charters for world series teams?

GO YANKEES! :D

With the world series being played along the NEC this year, I would have to imagine the Yankees and Phillies will be using Amtrak to travel between NYP and PHL. What kind of equipment does Amtrak have in reserve for charters for world series teams?
GO YANKEES! :D
Probably if they use Acela theyll have a couple of reserved cars, maybe even a whole train! The other teams (MLB/NBA/NHL) that use Amtrak between Philly and NYC ride this way! The Yankees have so much money though they might just buy Amtrak! :lol:

Phillies in 7 in an exciting series, they are the Worl Champs!!! Should be great, Im a Yankee fan too!!!

Phillies in 7 in an exciting series, they are the Worl Champs!!! Should be great, Im a Yankee fan too!!!
LOL, come on if you're a Yankee fan you wouldn't predict a series loss. ;)

Yankees in 6. They have a better starting three though Burnett does scare me, and Rivera is well, Rivera. Phils will put up a fight and have a stacked line up but their time was last year. :cool:

Just hope neither team gets stuck in an Amcan.

GO YANKS!

Yanks in 6 games.

Pettitte will get the final win!

I AM SOOOO EXCITED!

Yankees in 6. They have a better starting three though Burnett does scare me, and Rivera is well, Rivera. Phils will put up a fight and have a stacked line up but their time was last year. :cool:
It all comes down to what year Hamels and Pedro think it is, and whether Lidge holds onto his playoff-form or reverts to his season-form. If we get a solid 6-7 innings out of each starter, the rotations are pretty much an even match; if we get ALCS-Pedro and 2008-Hamels, the Phils have the edge here. But those are "ifs"....

I would think they'll take Amcans rather than Acelas, the more I think about it. Football and baseball teams know their regular-season schedules six months in advance of opening day, and can book far enough in advance to ensure an entire Acela BC car for their team. With two-days notice, I would think there's no way the Yankees and Phillies could find that many open seats on Acela, and with fixed train-sets there's no way Amtrak can just add an Acela car for them. But it's easy for Amtrak to put extra private Amcans on a Regional for them.

It would be extra sweet if the Phillies or Yankees cough up the money to charter Bennett Levin's private cars for the teams to use, but I doubt that'll happen even though it is the World Series and both teams have no problem with money.

I just hope Amtrak gets some great publicity out of this (and if they use Amtrak cars rather than private varnish, it's better publicity for Amtrak in the end, too). Well, heck, I hope they actually use Amtrak, for that matter. So far as I know, nobody official has said anything confirming our suspicions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cliff Lee vs CC Sabathia in game 1.

I'm an Indians fan. How depressing. :angry: :(

As far as I am concerned, any world championship the Yankees have (or will have) since the '70s is bought, not earned. How can Yankee fans live with themselves? They have a huge unfair advantage in that they can buy the best players from most any other team.

Until the playing field is truly level, the rich, big-market teams' championships are tainted. There is a reason the 4 LCS teams are all from big markets (LA, Philly, NY).

Yankee fans can say they haven't been competitive lately (until recently) and that big $$$ doesn't guarantee a championship. I can say that they have spent their big dollars poorly in the past 7 years (not enough pitching). When the $$$ is spent wisely, they have a huge unfair advantage.

TAINTED I say!

It all comes down to what year Hamels and Pedro think it is, and whether Lidge holds onto his playoff-form or reverts to his season-form. If we get a solid 6-7 innings out of each starter, the rotations are pretty much an even match; if we get ALCS-Pedro and 2008-Hamels, the Phils have the edge here. But those are "ifs"....

I would think they'll take Amcans rather than Acelas, the more I think about it. Football and baseball teams know their regular-season schedules six months in advance of opening day, and can book far enough in advance to ensure an entire Acela BC car for their team. With two-days notice, I would think there's no way the Yankees and Phillies could find that many open seats on Acela, and with fixed train-sets there's no way Amtrak can just add an Acela car for them. But it's easy for Amtrak to put extra private Amcans on a Regional for them.

It would be extra sweet if the Phillies or Yankees cough up the money to charter Bennett Levin's private cars for the teams to use, but I doubt that'll happen even though it is the World Series and both teams have no problem with money.

I just hope Amtrak gets some great publicity out of this (and if they use Amtrak cars rather than private varnish, it's better publicity for Amtrak in the end, too). Well, heck, I hope they actually use Amtrak, for that matter. So far as I know, nobody official has said anything confirming our suspicions.
I'm pretty sure that Amtrak can find a spare Acela trainset for the entire team, if that's what they want to pay for. And some teams have done just that in the past.

I was joking with a friend that they should use a NJT set lol.
At least it would be unbiased to both teams! (It's neither New York or Pennsylvania!) :lol:
Or biased to both, since if you live in Southern NJ, you're more likely to be cheering for the Phillys and if you live in Northern NJ, you're more likely to be cheering for the Yankees.

Lest I be called a scoundrel but here is today's transit headline' "Philadelphia Transit Workers Union Plans on Striking Next Week Even with World Series in Town." All I can say is that's one heck of a way to gain leverage for a new contract. I'm sure there will be a lot of mud slinging if the strike comes off. :ph34r:

In re the doubters of my loyalty to the Lordly Yankees, I grew up a Yankee fan (Mickey was my hero), lasted through the dark days of the late 60s and 70s, 80s and early 90s, even kept rooting when the Boss of all Bosses (is he still alive? :lol: ) kept meddling, almost bad as Jerry Jones or Al Davis or Dan Snyder!

Grantland Rice said: "the race may not go to the strong and swift, but bet that way!" A bet on the Yankees, with a disclaimer that the Phils are the defending Champs and have a damn good team! Should be a great series, I feel very strongly both ways! :lol:

As to the trains, why not break out the Turboliner and make up a special train of private varnish and/or heritage cars for the specials, bet the players might be impressed since they are all younger than the Amtrak fleet, have all the toys that money can buy and it surely would be a hoot, bet fans would pay plenty to ride these World Series Specials! :cool:

I thought the teams would be bussed between cities. A special World Series train would definitely catch the public's attention though.

I thought the teams would be bussed between cities. A special World Series train would definitely catch the public's attention though.
NY Times reports today that a chartered train will be used (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/sports/b...tml?_r=1&hp).

Also... hearing some unverified rumors that a pep rally is being planned for 4pm today at 30th Street Station. My GUESS is that this may be a sending off ceremony for the Fightens as they board their train.

At 4 p.m. today, a rally will be held at 30th Station to give Phillies players and coaches a warm sendoff as they board an Amtrak train for New York.

Fans are welcome to attend the outdoor event on the 29th Street side of the station, said Amtrak spokeswoman Tracy Connell.

A stage will be set up there, for possible speeches and remarks, she said.

Only customers with tickets might be permitted inside the station as the team heads for New York, where the Phillies are scheduled to play the Yankees in Game One of the World Series on Wednesday evening.

Only customers with tickets might be permitted inside the station as the team heads for New York, where the Phillies are scheduled to play the Yankees in Game One of the World Series on Wednesday evening.
Good grief, I'm glad I happened to check the forums just now -- I was about to head to 30th St to make some reservations I need to do in person, and would have been caught completely off-guard! I'll take care of it tomorrow, no problem for me. Y'all just saved me a couple hours :)

There's a big deal in Philly about Septa. I guess Septa has threated to go on strike. Last year the train platforms and buses were jam packed!

GO PHILLIES!!! We use the minor leagues! Them Damn Yankees use their money! Not the minor leagues! They draft just to trade their players!

LET'S GO PHILLIES LET'S GO! LET'S GO PHILLIES LET'S GO!!!

Stephen

GO PHILLIES!!! We use the minor leagues! Them Damn Yankees use their money! Not the minor leagues! They draft just to trade their players!
Um ... I think it's about equal (to drift off topic...). I count exactly four starting position players, two starting pitchers, and one ace reliever on each team that came up through the farm system:

YANKEES

Posada, Yankees' 24th round draft pick in 1990

Jeter, Yankees' 1st round draft pick in 1992

Cabrera, undrafted, signed by Yankees as an amateur free agent in 2001

Cano, undrafted, signed by Yankees as an amateur free agent in 2001

Pettitte, Yankees' 22nd round draft pick in 1990

Chamberlain, Yankees' 1st round draft pick in 2006

Rivera, undrafted, signed by Yankees as an amateur free agent in 1990

PHILLIES

Ruiz, undrafted, signed by Phillies as an amateur free agent in 1998

Howard, Phillies' 5th round draft pick in 2001

Utley, Phillies' 1st round draft pick in 2000

Rollins, Phillies' 2nd round draft pick in 1996

Hamels, Phillies' 1st round draft pick in 2002

Happ, Phillies' 3rd round draft pick in 2004

Madson, Phillies' 9th round draft pick in 1998

You could argue that among the starters listed here, the Yankees have several more who were undrafted free agents and the Phillies have more who were draft picks, but all except Chamberlain spent years in the Yankees farm system between being signed and debuting in New York, during which they could have burned out just like most draft picks tend to and during which the Yankees spent a lot of effort developing them; they're not in the same class regular free agents who already have proven major league records (like Texiera, Rodriguez, Lee, Martinez, etc).

As far as I am concerned, any world championship the Yankees have (or will have) since the '70s is bought, not earned. How can Yankee fans live with themselves? They have a huge unfair advantage in that they can buy the best players from most any other team.
Until the playing field is truly level, the rich, big-market teams' championships are tainted. There is a reason the 4 LCS teams are all from big markets (LA, Philly, NY).
Think what you will of the Yankees but were you complaining when they were spending a lot of money and losing back in the late 80's early 90's (Mel Hall anyone?) Those days were bad for Yankees fans because a number of the players they sent away from their system turned into good players in their own right in their new city (Fred McGriff, Jose Rijo, Doug Drabek, Jay Buhner.) How can I live with myself? Just fine thanks. FWIW Indians fans weren't saying much back in 1997 either when they crushed the Yankees in the playoffs on the way to an AL pennant. :cool:

Hamels didn't exactly look great in the LCS, was outright dreadful in the Division Series and had a bad regular season (sub .500 record 4.32 ERA). We'll see how he fares in game 2. The Yankees have seen Pedro many, many times and I'm sure have a solid game plan to handle him. The Yankees also have a better lineup than either Colorado or Los Angeles. That said it won't be easy for either team (especially when Girardi who likes to over manage is one of the managers involved.)

Should have done a better job of indicating that was a joke.

LOL, let's see Pedro, Blanton, Ibanez, Cliff Lee, Lidge, Victorino, Werth, Feliz all came from other teams and not from the Phillies system and that's just off the top of my head.

The best thing about the World Series is that Boston is playing golf and Mets fans have no one to root for because they hate both the Yankees and Phillies. :cool:

LET'S GO YANKEES!

Cliff Lee vs CC Sabathia in game 1.
I'm an Indians fan. How depressing. :angry: :(

Yankee fans can say they haven't been competitive lately (until recently) and that big $$$ doesn't guarantee a championship. I can say that they have spent their big dollars poorly in the past 7 years (not enough pitching). When the $$$ is spent wisely, they have a huge unfair advantage.

TAINTED I say!

as an equally long-suffering Indians fan who is actually looking forward to a Sabathia-Lee showdown in games 1, 4 and 7, I long for the day the Indians and Pirates...or Reds will play in the Series and fans can take AMTRAK between the cities.....

Is it true that President Obama just signed an executive order and the Phillies train was diverted to Chicago as it was ordered that the Chicago White Sox will now represent the American League.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back