Amtrak to Las Vegas??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

OBS Chief
I have a business trip coming up in Las Vegas, and thought perhaps I'd try to take the train. With no direct service, I thought the best option would be the SWC, with a connecting bus at Kingman AZ to the LV airport, then a car rental. Has anyone tried this option, is it reliable / timely? Or, option 2, would there be a car rental location near a "close" train station that I could rent a car, drive to LV and back, and catch the train home? Oh, and have I mentioned yet that I really miss the Desert Wind with it's downtown station at the Union Plaza ?? Thanks for any thoughts!

The shuttle connection is great and very convienient. Try it out. Remember that it is a van, not a bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. The shuttle (van) goes right to the LV airport, and there are many companies to choose from. And by and large, the prices are inexpensive! And I personally would not want to drive from somewhere on I-15 to LV if I didn't have to!
ohmy.gif
It's long, straight, boring and the traffic can be terrible!
excl.gif
(A 5 hour drive could easily become a 10 hour drive! Why chance missing your train?
huh.gif
Let someone else drive, and the train waits for them, if necessary!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pacific Railroad Society is planning (finally!) an excursion from L.A. to Las Vegas early next year!!!

Yey! You can bet I'll be onboard!

http://www.pacificrailroadsociety.org

"Excursion news - PRS is planning a special train to Las Vegas in March or April 2013. Stay tuned for more details."

This should be a sold-out excursion.

I have a business trip coming up in Las Vegas, and thought perhaps I'd try to take the train.
Aloha

Depending on your time//business needs you have 3 options

1. Train to Kingman: Bad, hours of getting off train; good, arrival time at airport.
  2. Train to LA: Good, Amtrak will ticket you to Vegas (bus) and arrival tine in LA & Vegas is good; bad bus arrives down town.
  3. Train to LA rent car there, The drive is not bad if the trip times are not at peak travel Time Forget Friday night to LV or Sunday Night to LA.

Depending on your Business needs you may not need a rental car, the monorail connects the hotels on the east side of the strip, and many of the hotels have a shuttle that will pick you up at the airport. I don't think the strip hotels will pick you up downtown. many of the downtown hotels are very nice. I have stayed in the Mainstreet station and the California Hotels, Very reasonable. The Plaza just reopened after an extensive remodel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back