Amtrak Travel with GPS and Microsoft Program

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdon

Train Attendant
I'll be taking the Cardinal from TRE to Chicago on Friday, June 5th. I've heard that using a portable GPS and a Microsoft program can help in keeping track of where the train is during the trip. Does anyone know the exact name of the Microsoft product? I was also wondering whether members of the forum would recommend taking along a device that would allow listening to the radio traffic between dispatchers and the train. I'm a rookie and don't know the codes used, etc. Is there an inexpensive portable device and a why to understand the codes used. As always thanks for any help.

t

Microsoft Streets and Trips. There is a new version every year the current version is 2009 be sure you order the one with the GPS included as they sell a package that is just the software.

The device for crew communications is called a scanner. You can buy one new for around 100 dollars. Some members pick up used ones on Ebay for less. They are not to hard to use. THIS Site has all the frequencies (codes) you need to listen to the communication.

Microsoft Streets and Trips. There is a new version every year the current version is 2009 be sure you order the one with the GPS included as they sell a package that is just the software.
The device for crew communications is called a scanner. You can buy one new for around 100 dollars. Some members pick up used ones on Ebay for less. They are not to hard to use. THIS Site has all the frequencies (codes) you need to listen to the communication.
Thank you Long Time Runnin. Do the crews use codes in talking with each other like the trucker's used to, things like that's a 10-20? If they do is there anyplace with a meaings for those codes?

I appreciate your help.

Thank you Long Time Runnin. Do the crews use codes in talking with each other like the trucker's used to, things like that's a 10-20? If they do is there anyplace with a meaings for those codes?
I appreciate your help.
I have not noticed much radio slang. They do lose me totally when they start quoting the track warrants! Was too much and too fast for me to try and decipher.

I appreciate your help.
No there is not many codes or things they say that are not easy to understand. Last time I rode the Cardinal I heard the Dispatcher and Engineer talk about a BBQ they were both planning to attend later in the week. Having a scanner adds some fun to the trip.

I appreciate your help.
No there is not many codes or things they say that are not easy to understand. Last time I rode the Cardinal I heard the Dispatcher and Engineer talk about a BBQ they were both planning to attend later in the week. Having a scanner adds some fun to the trip.
Thanks all of you. The information really helps and I'm even more excited about my next Amtrak adventure.

This is a great site with very helpful folks.

I'm a long-distance rail travel newbie and when I was planning my recently completed trip on the Empire Builder I considered/investigated purchasing a scanner and decided against it - because I'd have little use for it after the trip and the cost didn't warrant a purchase. I did purchase the Streets & Trips software from Microsoft - with the GPS Locator - and I found it helpful and think it contributed substantially to my enjoyment of the trip - and it's a piece of software I'll use for other purposes.

I'm a long-distance rail travel newbie and when I was planning my recently completed trip on the Empire Builder I considered/investigated purchasing a scanner and decided against it - because I'd have little use for it after the trip and the cost didn't warrant a purchase. I did purchase the Streets & Trips software from Microsoft - with the GPS Locator - and I found it helpful and think it contributed substantially to my enjoyment of the trip - and it's a piece of software I'll use for other purposes.
Thanks Lonford that's very helpful advice.

The other widely available PC street map with an optional USB GPS is Delorme Street Atlas USA with the Earthmate LT-40. I have used MS Street & Trips in recent years and recently brought the 2009 version with the Microsoft GPS receiver. I used it successfully on a Acela round trip from WAS to NYP, but the recording features of Street & Trips are limited. I have read that Delorme Street Atlas has better recording/tracking features and the LT-40 receiver is a newer and better GPS receiver. Worth checking before you buy either.

I have read that Delorme Street Atlas has better recording/tracking features and the LT-40 receiver is a newer and better GPS receiver. Worth checking before you buy either.
I have a DeLorme LT-20 and can vouch for the recording features. My trip was in March, but even now, I can tell you that the SWC was running at 90 MPH thru Argyle, IA! B) (I have not used MS, so I can't compare.)

Delorme Street Atlas has better recording/tracking features and the LT-40 receiver is a newer and better GPS receiver. Worth checking before you buy either.
Aloha

I have used the Deloreme product for many years, Upgrading to the 2009 with the LT-40, Have never been disappointed with their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back