Amtrak Viewliner Sleeper Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
At this time is the Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited New York Train Route now have at this time one or two Viewliner Sleeper Cars?

Two I believe. Boston side has been runnin with one or none recently from reports from the Boston side.

That's correct, the NY section runs with two Viewliners, while the Boston section runs with one. Once the train combines at Albany then you will see a grand total of three Viewliners in the consist. One (the Boston sleeper) will be at the head end, while the two NY sleepers will be near the rear of the train.

battalion51 said:
Two I believe. Boston side has been runnin with one or none recently from reports from the Boston side.
I know that the NYC section only gets one Sleeper during the winter as there is not as big demand as in the summer months. Usually the second Sleeper goes to either the Silver Meteor or Silver Star. As for the BOS section, I would say there's about a 50/50 chance of getting a Sleeper.

The three prototypes (2 sleepers and 1 diner) date back to 1987. The rest were made in 1995-1996 . . . possibly the last ones finished in 1997, Im not sure about that though.

P40Power said:
The three prototypes (2 sleepers and 1 diner) date back to 1987. The rest were made in 1995-1996 . . . possibly the last ones finished in 1997, Im not sure about that though.
Viewliner 2300, the first sleeper was completed in 1987, next was Diner 8400 in 1988, followed by sleeper 2301.

Production Sleepers 62000-62049 were built in 1995-1996.

For a roster, click the link in my signature. :D

Well I was a little off in my dates, the only reason I thought production might have ran to 97 was the fact that they held out converting the Night Owl to the Twilight Shoreliner so late and the Trains magazine said that it had recieved the last two production sleepers with the custom decals on it.

This photo shows a proto Viewliner with Northeast Direct logos and that wierd window decaling for Twilight Shoreliner service. Though it is running as the Boston sleeper on the LSL.

amt2301.jpg

Is that 2300 or 2301? Either way I thought the decals were kind of cool, giving the cars some flare. This can create problems though when you get into "Custom" equipment that goes in for major overhaul or PM. It also makes it hard to transfer it to other service, like the LSL.

battalion51 said:
Is that 2300 or 2301? Either way I thought the decals were kind of cool, giving the cars some flare. This can create problems though when you get into "Custom" equipment that goes in for major overhaul or PM. It also makes it hard to transfer it to other service, like the LSL.
It's 2301. The decals were cool, but many railfans (and some passengers) complained because it was hard to take photos through the window and gave them a spaghetti strainer look.

Its too bad 2301 still isn't in its original Phase III. It was a kind of cool shot, as its in Northeast Direct Service Paint.

Will Thanksgiving is come and so on what Long Distance Trains in the North East will have a extra Viewliner Sleeper Car?

I can almost gurantee Silver Service will carry three, the Crescent MAY get another, and the LSL NY side probably will. Don't count on the Federal, Three Rivers, or Cardinal getting one.

Supposedly the Federal is currently running with no sleeper at all as it was taken off and was to remain so at least through the end of the month of November.

Well they don't release a special timetable for Christmas, like they do on Thankgiving. However I think that they do add a few trains on the Northeast Corridor.

Beyond that, they generally don't add any extra trains. They just add extra cars to the existing trains.

On a round-trip from Chicago to Pittsburgh, Sept 21-23, 2001, I was in a Heritage sleeper. I believe it was October 1, 2001 the 3R switched to Viewliner equipment. This was due to the lack of retention toilets on the Heritage equipment.

Amfleet said:
AlanB said:
I'll have to double check it, but I think that it was in the fall of 2001.
Yes, it was right after September 11. Actually, I think the start date for Viewliner service on the Three Rivers was October 1, 2003.
2003? Seems too recent, October of 2001/2002, sounds more accurate, I'll go into my files soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back