Amtrak Viewliner Sleeper Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Viewliner said:
Amfleet said:
AlanB said:
I'll have to double check it, but I think that it was in the fall of 2001.
Yes, it was right after September 11. Actually, I think the start date for Viewliner service on the Three Rivers was October 1, 2003.
2003? Seems too recent, October of 2001/2002, sounds more accurate, I'll go into my files soon.
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant 2001.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Does the Viewliner Sleeper Cars have a Tv on board?
there are video monitors in each room... they're not TVs, but they play movies, cartoons and such.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Does the Viewliner Sleeper Car have a VCR to watch Movies?
The Viewliner sleepers do have a VCR system, but it is controlled only by the car attendant. It can be accessed via a small compartment at the end of the main corridor/walkway.

Amtrak Railfan said:
I like this Viewliner Sleeper Cars the best and how about you.
Wait I thought that you liked MHC's the best. :unsure: You have to have one favorite type of car. You can't like everything the best.

Nope. The prototype never made it to revenue service. There were a few interior design problems they encountered when testing it out.

xlr said:
Nope. The prototype never made it to revenue service. There were a few interior design problems they encountered when testing it out.
No the prototype did see some revenue service, although IIRC it didn't last very long in revenue service.

The Viewliner diner however hasn't seen service now for several years now and in fact I'm not even sure if the car still exists.

Perhaps our member, who choose the name Viewliner since he liked the cars so much, can shed some more light on this subject. :)

From what I've last heard, 8400 and Sleeper 2301 (Now 62091) are stored in Beech Grove. I haven't heard anything to the effect of its status changing.

There were problems with the interior indeed. Cramped Kitchen made working dangerous from what I've heard. The designer actually never was familiar with the concept of a conventional Dining Car.

Click Here for an article from Trains.com which mentions the problems encountered with Diner 8400.

Click Here for the Viewliner Information Page on my website. I plan on updating that and my site as a whole. Mid Terms and a research paper on the Transcontinental Railroad are going to constrain my time till the end of January. Februrary, I'll definitely have the time to update my site. I'm not going anywhere on that Vacation and I won't have any major projects then, which will give me plenty of time then.

Viewliner,

Thanks.

That article confirms what I thought, that the VL diner did indeed see revenue service.

AlanB said:
Viewliner,
Thanks.

That article confirms what I thought, that the VL diner did indeed see revenue service.
Of course, Amtrak wouldn't spend millions just to have it as a Museum display for a future fleet.

Amtrak Railfan said:
When does the Silver Star Trains have 3 Viewliner Sleeper Cars?
Well, common sense (a wonderful thing, when people use it) would dictate when the passenger loads warrant that many Viewliners, but I'm sure others here could elaborate also.

During the summer the Meteor carries three sleepers, the Star two. During most of the winter both trains carry two sleepers. Effective yesterday the Meteor was supposed to be back up to three sleepers, although I'm not sure if that actually happened or not.

Viewliner said:
Click Here for the Viewliner Roster/Deployment Page on my website.
Neat page Viewliner, thanks for that. :)

One small item though. You either need to break the roster into two tables with different headers, or eliminate the current header which sort of indicates that all cars are prototypes. :lol:

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
Click Here for the Viewliner Roster/Deployment Page on my website.
Neat page Viewliner, thanks for that. :)

One small item though. You either need to break the roster into two tables with different headers, or eliminate the current header which sort of indicates that all cars are prototypes. :lol:
Its a glitch in MS word, I haven't figured out how to adjust titles, but I'll do so ASAP (after Midterms probably).

Quick Question.....:

Have any Viewliners been in wrecks?

If so, What are their car #s.

Thanks

-- Linc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back