Amtrak Viewliner Sleeper Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 62011 and 62013 are stored in BG on wreck status. They derailed in the Silver Star derailment last May in Hinesville, GA.

F59 PHI said:
Quick Question.....:Have any Viewliners been in wrecks?

If so, What are their car #s.

Thanks

-- Linc
Just Click the link above, I know there are others, but there is no source for me to check for prior ones.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I fixed the Page. B)
Well if you did, then you forgot to upload it. :blink: Otherwise, the fix didn't work. :)
Now, its fixed, title at the top of the page and all. I forgot to rename the new page to the address of the old. B)

Viewliner said:
AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I fixed the Page. B)
Well if you did, then you forgot to upload it. :blink: Otherwise, the fix didn't work. :)
Now, its fixed, title at the top of the page and all. I forgot to rename the new page to the address of the old. B)
That would do it. :lol:

It's fine now and looks nice! :)

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I fixed the Page. B)
That would do it. :lol:

It's fine now and looks nice! :)
Thanks. :) B)

For your help and your compliments. :lol: :D

I dont believe one was ever in actual every-day service, but I know one or two were produced. I believe they are tied down at the Beech Grove shops.

Amtrak Railfan said:
When was the last Viewliner Dinner Car out of service?
We just covered this question above in this very topic. :angry:

Go read the story that Viewliner linked to.

It stopped running around 2001 in my guesses, its in Dead Storage in Beech Grove, Indiana, as is the case with car 62091. As for the Viewliner Diner, car #8400 is the one and only Viewliner Diner. It did run starting after completion in February 1988. It ran for a number of years, although it was poorly designed and underwent problems. There was supposedly an order for Baggage-Dorms, Diners, Lounges, Coaches, and about 100 Sleepers initially. For whatever reason whether Morrison-Knudsen (the Builder of the Viewliners) going bankrupt and only being able to produce the 50, or Budget issues also being a factor, the 50 is all that we have running.

For more information (on a soon to be updated page from my website):

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakonline/viewl...inerroster.html

I saw a Photo of the Family Bedroom and I saw how many beds does this Bedroom have and also one Question can the Passagers eat Breakfast on the Viewliner Sleeper Car every morning?

Viewliners do not have a family bedroom, the Superliners do. Viewliners only have Standard, Deluxe, and Handicap. Two deluxe rooms however can be combined into one suite. The Superliner Family Bedroom has two adult sized beds, and two child sized beds. Yes passengers can eat in their rooms at their pleasure.

Anthony said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
Are the Viewliner Sleeper windows are very nice?
Yes, they are very nice.
While they are nice, I’m not sure I agree that they are very nice. To be very nice they have to be much nicer than just nice. I don’t think they are much nicer than nice. Maybe a little nicer. But much nicer? I don’t think so. Not that there is anything wrong with nice. Nice is better than good, and good is, well, good. And lets not bash good. Afterall, good is better than OK. They definitely are better than OK, and in my opinion, they are much better than OK, which is better than just good, which is nice. But very nice? Perhaps in some opinions, but in all honesty, I think nice is the better description. By any definition, they are certainly not great. Great is even better than very nice, and if they are even not very nice, they cannot even approach being great. I’m quite comfortable with calling them nice. I am uncomfortable with very nice and would be uncomfortable with good, and OK or great would be ridiculous in the extreme. So, nice it is.

As far as I’m concerned, the Viewliner windows are nice.

PRR 60 said:
Anthony said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
Are the Viewliner Sleeper windows are very nice?
Yes, they are very nice.
While they are nice, I’m not sure I agree that they are very nice. To be very nice they have to be much nicer than just nice. I don’t think they are much nicer than nice. Maybe a little nicer. But much nicer? I don’t think so. Not that there is anything wrong with nice. Nice is better than good, and good is, well, good. And lets not bash good. Afterall, good is better than OK. They definitely are better than OK, and in my opinion, they are much better than OK, which is better than just good, which is nice. But very nice? Perhaps in some opinions, but in all honesty, I think nice is the better description. By any definition, they are certainly not great. Great is even better than very nice, and if they are even not very nice, they cannot even approach being great. I’m quite comfortable with calling them nice. I am uncomfortable with very nice and would be uncomfortable with good, and OK or great would be ridiculous in the extreme. So, nice it is.

As far as I’m concerned, the Viewliner windows are nice.
:lol: :lol:

Indubitably dubious! :p

In my opinion, it's not the windows that are nice, it's what you can see outside them that's nice and sometimes amazing.

The Viewliner's window's are the draw to the mystique of the cars. The concept removes the claustrophobic feeling that existed/exists in the upper berth of sleepers. The windows are one of the few things done right in the design fleet.

I would love to comment on the niceness or lack thereof however, I have yet to be in a Viewliner sleeping car. Though I could be hopeful that the niceness described above would be true and maybe things would be better than nice bordering on amazing or astounding, but if things were just nice as an average to nicer or at least something above average then I would be satisfied but I'm not sure whether it would be an average or above average level of satisfaction as that would depend on the niceness of the crew as well as the niceness of the accommodations and especially on the niceness of the fare paid for said accommodations. But I digress, have a nice (on whatever level you choose) day. :)

Viewliner said:
The Viewliner's window's are the draw to the mystique of the cars. The concept removes the claustrophobic feeling that existed/exists in the upper berth of sleepers. The windows are one of the few things done right in the design fleet.
I have to agree here. I have always entertained the idea of a similar design on a Superliner sleeper (a series of Superliner III's) where they had the same system, a 4 level window car might look a bit awkward, but I have a feeling it would make traveling in a standard bedroom on a Superliner equipped train nicer.

But undoubtedly, one of the best things about the “nice” viewliners, are the windows.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Viewliner said:
The Viewliner's window's are the draw to the mystique of the cars.  The concept removes the claustrophobic feeling that existed/exists in the upper berth of sleepers.  The windows are one of the few things done right in the design fleet.
I have to agree here. I have always entertained the idea of a similar design on a Superliner sleeper (a series of Superliner III's) where they had the same system, a 4 level window car might look a bit awkward, but I have a feeling it would make traveling in a standard bedroom on a Superliner equipped train nicer.

But undoubtedly, one of the best things about the “nice” viewliners, are the windows.
The problem with a bi-level viewliner car is that it would be so high it would probably not clear many bridges and tunnels even outside of the Northeast.

Well you could make the windows on the upper bunk wraparound windows (upstairs ala Superliner Lounge), downstairs just another set of small windows.

battalion51 said:
Well you could make the windows on the upper bunk wraparound windows (upstairs ala Superliner Lounge), downstairs just another set of small windows.
IMHO putting in windows like that would be a waste. One because in the day time when the bed is folded up the window would get covered. Two, it would not solve the problem of lack of headroom in the upper bunk, and I think I would feel even worse with a glass roof over my head. Both the Superliner and the Viewliner both have their uniuqe features, but sometimes you can't have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back