Amtrak's Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikerd5522

Train Attendant
Hi All,

I'm taking some time for myself this memorial day weekend and I've bought tickets for a quick trip to Chicago. I'll be leaving from NY Penn Station on the Cardinal (coach class to Chicago) and returning on the Capitol Limited (roomette to Washington and then Northeast Regional home).

I've decided to go coach class on the Cardinal because (A) I refuse to pay an absorbent amount of money for a shorter trip and ( B ) I'd like an adventure. I'm basically posting because I have no idea what to expect on the Cardinal.

Will I be one of the few (if not only one) traveling through to Chicago in coach?

I'm boarding from NY Penn in the morning, will there be alot of people boarding the Cardinal there?

Any recommendations on which side to sit? (I've heard the right side is better)

Any chance of eating dinner in the "diner side" of the diner-lite car?

Anything else you guys can think of, or offer advice, please share! Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well one problem is you will be taking the Cardinal west, so you will probably miss the New River Gorge as it will be dark. It's best to take that train east bound. But I guess it may be too late. Some say that section in West Virginia is the best Amtrak route east of the Mississippi. If you can reverse your trip for about the same price, I would do it.

I would say you won't be the only person riding the Cardinal through to Chicago though. It may be a cheaper alternative verse the Lake Shore though. I'm sure you'll find lots of local passengers too though. And yes anyone may eat in the diner side of the diner-lite car. You just have to pay for it. Hope this helps!

Well one problem is you will be taking the Cardinal west, so you will probably miss the New River Gorge as it will be dark.
Actually, you should be okay as long as the train is reasonably on time, which isn't much of a problem on the westbound at that point (the eastbound is another story, though). Sunset in Charleston on Memorial Day will be at 8:40 PM...you should be well past both the Gorge and Charleston by then. If on schedule you should be going through the Gorge from about 6 PM through 7 PM. Of course there will be shadows by then.

I always make a point of checking sunrise/sunset in preparation for my travels, specific to each date and location, which can be found at the U.S. Naval Observatory website here.

I'll be interested to read your trip report. I'll be taking the Cardinal to Chicago in July...in coach!

I always make a point of checking sunrise/sunset in preparation for my travels, specific to each date and location, which can be found at the U.S. Naval Observatory website here.
Yes, very handy! They also give Moonrise, and Phase of the Moon, which is good to know if you are travelling by night in a scenic area by fullmoon, or with a fairly bright moon (say, more than half-full...)

Yes, very handy! They also give Moonrise, and Phase of the Moon, which is good to know if you are travelling by night in a scenic area by fullmoon, or with a fairly bright moon (say, more than half-full...)
Thanx,

Every time I turn around, I find more Rail Education.

LOVE IT!

I thought the trip was the best scenery east of the Mississippi, but the trip on the Cardinal seemed to drag a bit between Chicago and Washington --- very very slow in some parts... like through Indiana and West Virginia. Maybe it was just me though... I am used to taking western trips with a Sightseer lounge... it just got very boring being in my roomette all day. I wish there was a better lounge on the car -- and it wasn't a diner/lounge.

The sleeper rates are expensive... I think I paid $416. (granted it was the week before Christmas last year)

I don't know if I would do that again. I'd rather spend $416 on a roomette on 421 or 422 and get 3 nights on the train for the price of 1.

I've nearly done that much, having done Baltimore to Chicago on the Cardinal in Sep. '06, all the way in coach, my first overnight train trip. I remember choosing it for its cheapness, and the "cool factor" to me of being able to jump on the train in my hometown, and not step off it until Chicago, rather unusual in some ways since the only line serving us is the NEC.

So will you be the only hardy soul riding New York all the way to Chicago? - you very well might. I remember doing a quick scan of the seat checks when we boarded, and didn't see a CHI among them. Does this mean the train will be empty? Absolutely not.

The Cardinal is known for "turning over its load" more times from start to finish than any other Amtrak train. On boarding and while riding the NEC, you'll be riding with lots of people heading to Charlottesville, with an assortment of other folks travelling to the West Viginia stops, with a few bound for Cincy or Indy, and PERHAPS a fellow Chi-towner or two. However, more than likely, by the time the train is making its course from Indy to Chicago, when you look around, few if anyone you boarded with will still be present. In addition, there will be others who boarded down line who will have already gotten off. This is much different from the Capitol Limited, where you're certain to eat Lunch with folks you had Dinner with the previous night.

Right Side is probably the side of choice mostly for the DC exit past the Lincoln Memorial, the train does cross from one wall of the New River Gorge to the other, so either way, there will be something to see there provided you roll through close to time.

Dinner is much better than it was on this train when I first rode it. I have been welcomed and seated on the "Diner" side as a coach passenger on my most recent Cardinal Ride, so I don't think you'll have any problems. The food on the Capitol will still be a bit better and broader than the Cardinal's though.

Also, if you're leaving aboard the Cardinal departing New York on Friday the 23rd, expect a good bit of company. I explored going to Charlottesville that weekend only to find the Cardinal in coach is already SOLD OUT on even this segment. The Sunday 5/25 train still has seats though.

Quick curiosity question - Are you even staying the night in Chicago, or rolling right out on that evening's Capitol?

Quick curiosity question - Are you even staying the night in Chicago, or rolling right out on that evening's Capitol?
Well this is a quick rail trip - I'll be turning around on the Capitol Limited that very night. I don't have much time to stick around Chicago (with work and Grad School consuming most of my life) so I thought a little rail only trip would be in order. I've done the trek to Chicago before, but on the CL westbound and LSL eastbound - so I've always wanted to ride the Cardinal and experience the CL eastbound. Last time I was in Chicago I tried Lou Mitchell's for pizza - amazing. This time, I think I'll give Giordano's a shot.

I agree that 400+ dollars is outrageous for a roomette for one night. I wouldn't have a problem paying that price if it was a longer run, say the TE or CZ, but for this short of a trip, I don't think so. I mean, the lowest bucket for a roomette from Chicago to Seattle or Portland on the EB is only 200 or so bucks - compare that with the lowly, single level, amateur diner equipped Cardinal.

I too noticed that the Cardinal is sold out for the 5/23 trip (thats mine). I was hopping for the chance to upgrade to a sleeper in route - but that looks like a small possibility now, unless there is a cancellation or no show. Hopefully I have some interesting seat-mates! :rolleyes:

In my opinion bad choice making a coach ticket. Even though you pay a hand full more it's well worth the money. In coach you sit upright in sleeper service you lay in a very cofertable bed. You might be the only person going from NYP to CHI in coach. Typically coach passengers are not allowed to eat off of the menu. They make you eat the burgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. I rode the cardinal from PHL to CHI last june and the dining staff gave the coach passengers a fit about eating from the menu. But you can try. We were in a roomette and all sleepiong passengers were served between PHL and WIL. As for taking the cap also a bad choice. The train 60% is late. Since you booked Regional you will probaly miss the train you booked. The station staff will tell you to board the next departing Regional.

Good Luck,

Acela150

In my opinion bad choice making a coach ticket. Even though you pay a hand full more it's well worth the money. In coach you sit upright in sleeper service you lay in a very cofertable bed. You might be the only person going from NYP to CHI in coach. Typically coach passengers are not allowed to eat off of the menu. They make you eat the burgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. I rode the cardinal from PHL to CHI last june and the dining staff gave the coach passengers a fit about eating from the menu. But you can try. We were in a roomette and all sleepiong passengers were served between PHL and WIL. As for taking the cap also a bad choice. The train 60% is late. Since you booked Regional you will probaly miss the train you booked. The station staff will tell you to board the next departing Regional.

Good Luck,

Acela150
Um, I have to disagree with about 100% of what you just said.

I did almost the exact same trip as Mike will be doing (CVS-CHI-WAS-CVS) last year. I did it in coach. I had no problem sleeping, and I never experienced any hostility from the dining crew (except for the usual AmGruffness) over my order. The only problem I had was that I really, really, really needed a shower when I got to CHI (I had been flying for 20 hours before boarding my first train from CLT-CVS), and so I was disappointed that all of the sleepers were full and no on-board upgrades were available. The bed would have been a nice benefit, but I found it far from necessary.

Capitol Limited was a very nice trip, too.

And I though Regionals had a pretty decent on-time rating on the NEC...

But otherwise, thanks for the post! :lol:

As for taking the cap also a bad choice. The train 60% is late. Since you booked Regional you will probaly miss the train you booked. The station staff will tell you to board the next departing Regional.
Good Luck,

Acela150
I would like to know how you arrived at the 60% number - where did you find this fact? I've checked out amtrakdelays.com and train number 30 averages 81 minutes late over the past 4 weeks, which correlates to an average arrival time of 3:21 pm. My regional connection leaves at 4:25 - so on the average I probably will make this connection. If the connection doesn't work out, which is possible, what can I do about it? Worrying and stressing out is not going to make the Capitol Limited move any faster. I'll just hop on the next regional train to NYP, transfer to Grand Central, and take Metro North Home to Connecticut. Not a big deal in my eyes - it just makes it more of an adventure and adds to the story :) . I'm purposively going on this trip to "forget the time" and I'm not going to stress out over whether or not my connection is made in Washington.

Also, I don't think a lot of people realize that the Capitol Limited/Pennsylvanian is the only train from Chicago that will give a same day connection to Connecticut and Rhode Island. 48/448 will not (arrives to late into Penn/does not connect w/ a Springfield Shuttle) and 50 also arrives too late into Penn to make a same day connection.

Well one problem is you will be taking the Cardinal west, so you will probably miss the New River Gorge as it will be dark. It's best to take that train east bound. But I guess it may be too late. Some say that section in West Virginia is the best Amtrak route east of the Mississippi. If you can reverse your trip for about the same price, I would do it.
I would say you won't be the only person riding the Cardinal through to Chicago though. It may be a cheaper alternative verse the Lake Shore though. I'm sure you'll find lots of local passengers too though. And yes anyone may eat in the diner side of the diner-lite car. You just have to pay for it. Hope this helps!

When I was considering this route for this years excursion I found that it was the highest priced rooms and fare compared to the other two ways, the capitol being the least for some reason.. Which I still can't figure out since the consist is not nearly as nice as the capitol?

When I was considering this route for this years excursion I found that it was the highest priced rooms and fare compared to the other two ways, the capitol being the least for some reason.. Which I still can't figure out since the consist is not nearly as nice as the capitol?
Its because there is only one sleeper car on the train and the rooms sell out more quickly.

I have been watching this thread and have wanted to comment, but held off doing so, but I can't wait any longer.

I have ridden The Cardinal three times over various parts of the run between Chicago and New York City.

I have to say, I've never had a good experience on this train.

Every time I have ridden it it had very old poorly maintained equipment. Very poor food service in an old café type car with surly waitstaff and terrible food. The one time I was in a roomette, I only saw the car attendant at the start and end of the trip. Except when I have the need to get from IND to CHI I will never ride The Cardinal again.

Now, with that said, I have heard they are sometimes using one of the new type café cars and the food has improved. I just haven't seen it and I last rode in February of this year.

I hope this doesn't burst your bubble!

Its because there is only one sleeper car on the train and the rooms sell out more quickly.
Actually it goes even deeper than the fact that there is only one sleeper. It's the fact that there is also no crew dorm. That means that 4 or 5 of the roomettes never go on sale at all, since they are blanked out for crew use. That's a third of the inventory gone, before the first room is ever sold.

I believe lowest bucket on the Cardinal from NYP to CHI is $80 for coach, plus another $177 for a roomette. But you would have probably needed to book last June... :(

But enough of the would'a...could'a...should'a. Travel is an adventure. It's not just about the destination...it's about the voyage, particularly for most of us on this list. You're not taking this trip because you have a burning desire to go to Chicago (with apologies to our friends at Giordano's)...you're only going to Chicago because it presented the best itinerary for a long weekend on the rails. Railfan escapism at its best!

Enjoy your trip...a positive attitude and sense of humor will serve you well if things aren't perfect, but there is no guarantee that things won't be perfect! Bon voyage! :)

"Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take, no matter where it's going." Edna St Vincent Millay

I tend to disagree with the one poster questioning your decisions on this ride.

I certainly wouldn't call a $400 roomette charge for someone riding alone on a single overnight "a hand full more." True, it is more comfortable to ride sleeper, but to me there's such a thing as "diminishing returns." I tend to set $175 as the most I'll pay for a single overnight in sleeper if riding by myself - $225 if I've got company. YMMV.

True the Capitol can run late, but so does the Lake Shore and Cardinal. If anything I seem to find the Capitol to be the most dependable of the three. Given this ride is on a 3 day weekend, it would seem the chance to stay on schedule will be better, as frieght traffic subsides a bit on weekends.

On my first 2 Cardinal rides, there was indeed a structured sort of setup where coach riders could only order the Amcafe type items at the Lounge counter, but since converting to Diner Lite, that has changed. On my trip on the Cardinal back in September, I was actually welcomed into the Diner side, and was eating while 3 or 4 other coach passengers were eating as well. The Service Attendant was EXTREMELY nice, and even spotted me a free cup of coffee as the A/C in the car was so cold!

Coach on the Cardinal is a particularly social affair, as hopefully you should find. On my two longer rides on the train, we met a lot of cool people riding in coach.

The Cardinal was my first and third train trips. I absolutely loved them! The scenery was gorgeous, the staff on it was nice. I had the same waiter both trips and he was fantastic! I've been on other trains, but prefer the Cardinal to any of them. Even though it doesn't have the best diner, I still liked it and would take it every day of the week if I could!

Please post after your trip and let us know how it went!

Kim

Also, I don't think a lot of people realize that the Capitol Limited/Pennsylvanian is the only train from Chicago that will give a same day connection to Connecticut and Rhode Island.
While it's true that you will not arrive the same day in RI or CT that you would depart WAS, but #66 departs WAS at 10 PM and arrives between 5 and 7 AM.

I would call a 10 PM departure "the same day", and I personally would rather arrive in KIN @ ~6:30 AM than ~midnight! And I would welcome the "stopover" in DC for a few hours!

Also, I don't think a lot of people realize that the Capitol Limited/Pennsylvanian is the only train from Chicago that will give a same day connection to Connecticut and Rhode Island.
While it's true that you will not arrive the same day in RI or CT that you would depart WAS, but #66 departs WAS at 10 PM and arrives between 5 and 7 AM.

I would call a 10 PM departure "the same day", and I personally would rather arrive in KIN @ ~6:30 AM than ~midnight! And I would welcome the "stopover" in DC for a few hours!
Thats interesting - I consider a "same day connection" as one where you step onto your connection the same day in which you arrived at the connecting hub and you arrive home (or your destination) the same day. That is to say, I've always thought of a "same day connection" one in which it wouldn't require another overnight to get you home.

Not to say that either view is right or wrong, just interesting to see a difference of opinions.

Thank you to everyone for their advice and experiences. I'm particularly looking forward to this trip - only a week away!

Thats interesting - I consider a "same day connection" as one where you step onto your connection the same day in which you arrived at the connecting hub and you arrive home (or your destination) the same day. That is to say, I've always thought of a "same day connection" one in which it wouldn't require another overnight to get you home.

Not to say that either view is right or wrong, just interesting to see a difference of opinions.

Thank you to everyone for their advice and experiences. I'm particularly looking forward to this trip - only a week away!
Well when I come home from LA this coming October, I'll be riding the SW Chief from LA to Chicago. Upon arrival into Chicago I have a same day connection with the Lake Shore Limited, but I surely won't be home on the same day. I won't get back to NY until late in the following day. Now if I told you that I didn't have a same day connection in Chicago, then most people would assume that means that I'm spending a night or two in Chicago.

I'm wondering. Is it possible that one of the reasons they are creating more CCCs is that they intend to put the Cardinal back to Superliner with a CCC?

I'm wondering. Is it possible that one of the reasons they are creating more CCCs is that they intend to put the Cardinal back to Superliner with a CCC?
Methinks you just might be on to somethin' there Magee!

I ran across a Sleeper Car Attendant I knew at Baltimore Penn a while back, and he mentioned that he heard that they were exploring changing the Cardinal to WAS-CHI train using Superliners. CCCs would be an ideal method of carrying this out, particularly if they were Lounge-Diners retaining the wrap around windows.

Of course, this then begs the question of just what trains would the 28000 series Amlounge Diner-Lite conversions go to. Candidates would include the Palmetto, Pennsylvanian, Carolinian, and Maple Leaf, and of course this is hoping that management realizes these cars are insufficient for overnight LD trains like the LSL.

True this is a lot of speculation, but it won't be long before Fall arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back