An Acela stopped at Kingston, RI today (with video footage)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon02852

Train Attendant
Due to an issue with passengers not getting off at Providence, an Acela Express had to stop at Kingston to let them off. I personally have never seen an Acela stop here; they usually pass through Kingston at their maximum allowed operating speed of 150 miles per hour. I hope you enjoyed this find as much as I did!

This was Acela 2173 which leaves Providence every day at 5:05PM EST and usually blows through Kingston 17-20 minutes later.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWAl9hixHGY

Wasn't there another recent topic about the Acela stopping where it usually doesn't?

Why were passengers not getting off at Providence?
I don't know the entire story, but from what I overheard, they did not end up getting off at Providence. I heard the conductor apologize to the passengers as they exited the train...which may mean that it was Amtrak's fault that some passengers did not get off. The train arrived at Providence 4 minutes late so it may have been in a slight rush.

The passengers that got off ended up getting on the 174 to Providence. Luckily it was late so they didn't have to wait long for a train back to PVD..

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Acela usually blows by at 150, what prevents the passengers from standing right along the tracks? The yellow line is not very far into the platform. I sure would hate to have a lawsuit of someone getting sucked in and his/her family says that there were not adequate safety precautions.

If the Acela usually blows by at 150, what prevents the passengers from standing right along the tracks? The yellow line is not very far into the platform. I sure would hate to have a lawsuit of someone getting sucked in and his/her family says that there were not adequate safety precautions.
Happened.

Kingston Fatality

Resulting Lawsuit

Nothing prevents people from standing on the yellow line. I personally have stood in the middle of the yellow line as it blew past me at 150 and didn't feel like I was going to get sucked in. The only shocker is the blast of wind.

Little tiny ones at the ends of the platforms.

21043_1371189804133_1380489_n.jpg

It stopped at KIN once - with moi aboard!
biggrin.gif

What happened was that I took a Regional from OSB, but before it even departed the station, it shut down and they had to reboot the HHP-8. In the next 10 minutes, it happened numerous times. So they took all the passengers off at NLC, took the Regional out of service and put everyone on the AE we were holding up.

So I rode AE to KIN!
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

What happened was that I took a Regional from OSB, but before it even departed the station, it shut down and they had to reboot the HHP-8. In the next 10 minutes, it happened numerous times. So they took all the passengers off at NLC, took the Regional out of service and put everyone on the AE we were holding up.

So I rode AE to KIN!
cool.gif
That is epic!

biggrin.gif

So I rode AE to KIN!
cool.gif

Did the AE have a Penthouse accommodation for you??

biggrin.gif

So I rode AE to KIN!
cool.gif

Right under the pantograph :D

Shanghai said:
1339240086[/url]' post='372562']
the_traveler said:
1339210550[/url]' post='372526']It stopped at KIN once - with moi aboard!
biggrin.gif

So I rode AE to KIN!
cool.gif
They didn't knowI would be aboard, so I had to sit in BC - with the common folk!
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

So I rode AE to KIN!
cool.gif
They didn't knowI would be aboard, so I had to sit in BC - with the common folk!
mad.gif
WHAT, no special class! :rolleyes:

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back