An All New AMTRAK Map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the oldest railroad map trick in the book - make your routes look good and straight, and make your destinations look good and close.
With this in mind, I set out on an experiment - to MAP the Amtrak system, but in a color coded schematic form. The result is something that looks like a London Underground map, but showing EVERY stop in our national rail system.

I thought this would be an easy adventure, seeing as how we often discuss how skeletal the system has become, but let me assure you, this map took a tremendous amount of work to create a sharp looking, detailed and colorful rendition.

Every train is listed, save for the Auto Train, and stops are noted for their status (full time, partial, seasonal, directional, flag) as well as Commuter Rail and Transit Options (still could use some completion on this part.)

Though it's 30x40, it's less than 100K in size in its PDF format. Since this forum does not have an attachment function, I've posted it in my own forum that does (no membership or registration is needed to get the file), and you can find it at this link...

http://monumentalcity.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=18107#18107

Feel free to let me know your thoughts regarding this little impromptu project of mine!

Regards,
May I ask what software you are using to make the map. I might be interested if not expensive.

Thanks!!

May I ask what software you are using to make the map. I might be interested if not expensive.
Thanks!!
Corel Draw Version 8 -

Can be found on ebay for about 20 bux! A bit of a learning curve to it, but once you get the hang of it, it definitely becomes addictive. The bonus is that it also includes a Photoshop type of editor for your photos called Corel Photo Paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really a great job! Very interesting.

Is there a map that shows the daylight and night routes? I'm looking for a map (if there is one) that shows when the train is in light and when it is in the dark.

Is there a map that shows the daylight and night routes? I'm looking for a map (if there is one) that shows when the train is in light and when it is in the dark.
Amtrak has a day/night map just like that for all of its western long distance trains in its system timetable. It's definitely worth checking out.

Amtrak has a day/night map just like that for all of its western long distance trains in its system timetable. It's definitely worth checking out.
I'm sure you're right but I can't find it. Can you help me with where I can locate it on their web site. I looked at the timetables and schedules. Thanks.

I'm sure you're right but I can't find it. Can you help me with where I can locate it on their web site. I looked at the timetables and schedules. Thanks.
The map is in the paper table, not on line. Here is a scan.

78745430-L.jpg

One quick question to the Cali crew though. My map shows the Sunset/TE leading Southeast out of LA, while the SWC heads out that way before curving after Fullterton to its alignment. Looking at scale maps however, it looks as if Pomona and Orange are ABOVE Fullerton, and that the SL/TE and SWC cross somewhere in the vicinity of San Bernadino.
Any suggestions on how to correct the LA approach?

Have looked at GoogleEarth? You can turn on rail and transit lines with reasonable accuracy.

I find these personally useful when going on trips (where covered):

http://www.bnsf.com/tools/reference/divisi...5&submenu=0

The map is in the paper table, not on line. Here is a scan.

78745430-L.jpg
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
The only problem is, if a train is running very late, it won't be in a night time area dring the night, or the daytime area during the day. :D

Nice work ! I can only imagine how much time this project required. I'm really impressed!

Deimos

OK, Thanks to all for the input first of all, nearly every suggestion was taken.

Click here for the revised version map...(click the download link - suggested right click to 'Save target as')

http://monumentalcity.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=18408#18408

Spelling corrections and other errors noticed are revised.

Heartland Flyer broken out from Texas Eagle.

LA geographical setup improved.

Typeface changed to something quite close to Amtrak style typeface.

Schematic revised, Seattle area redone, Pennsylvanian route stretched a bit to give a bit more breathing room to station labels.

Other minor enhancements -

Do enjoy!

AND PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE, DISTRIBUTE, POST, PUBLISH, ETC! This is public domain.

But you still didn't fix the spelling of Rensselaer, either in New York (Albany-Rensselaer), or Indiana (same spelling)!

I love the revision! Imagine if Amtrak used this map officially! Sure would help a lot of people out. Maybe you should submit a copy of it to them. This would augment their new interactive mapping program.

About the Stockton, CA situation, however: the Bakersfield-Oakland San Joaquins use a different Stockton station than the Bakersfield-Sacramento San Joaquins. ACE commuter trains happen to serve the same station as the Sacramento San Joaquins. Might be too small of a detail to worry about on this map, but you should know.

The correct spelling for NM city is Albuquerque and frequent public transportation center which is next door to Amtrak station.

Albuquerque now has commuter rail service which it started last July.

People around here seem to pronounce it "Renn-suh-LEER" :p

(I have no idea what's correct)

I think this is a great map, and is particularly good for those of us who are unfamiliar with US geography, as it gives a quick visual indication of all the train options for each destination and route.

SLH

I think this is a great map, and is particularly good for those of us who are unfamiliar with US geography, as it gives a quick visual indication of all the train options for each destination and route.SLH
As an afficianado of maps, I appreciate your efforts. The display puts things in a unique perspective. Not sure it would help anyone who is geographically-challenged however. Reminds me of Forrest Gump who was sitting on the bench waiting for the #9 bus when he was already within walking distance of his destination. Sadly, very few metro transit systems have understandable maps (Washington DC Metro comes the closest), and unless you already have a concept of US geography, you will have no clue that changing trains in Chicago or changing planes in Atlanta and/or Salt Lake City are not really the most direct routes to where you want to go.

Wow! Pretty cool. You guys never cease to impress me with your ingenuity.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back