Anagrams/Abbreviations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedEO

Service Attendant
Has anyone put together a "dictionary" of all the anagrams/abbreviations used here in the forum? I know a lot of them as many are anagrams for the different trains, such as EB for The Empire Builder (although some people also use it for Eastbound!) but some anagrams I haven't figured out yet, ie "CCC" or "OBS". Would be handy to have an "index" to refer to for those of us who can't consider ourselves "old-timers" yet!

I think a FAQ would be nice. I don't think anyone could come up with a whole dictionary's worth of examples, at least I hope not.

Has anyone put together a "dictionary" of all the anagrams/abbreviations used here in the forum? I know a lot of them as many are anagrams for the different trains, such as EB for The Empire Builder (although some people also use it for Eastbound!) but some anagrams I haven't figured out yet, ie "CCC" or "OBS". Would be handy to have an "index" to refer to for those of us who can't consider ourselves "old-timers" yet!
CCC = Cross Country Cafe. Basically it's a weird new-retro dining/cafe/lounge car that most folks on here don't like very much. I used to be against it, but then I remembered that it's actually the stale and flavorless cafeteria food that bothers me far more than the car, and that's not any different no matter which car you get.

OBS = On-Board Staff/Service. Basically any uniformed employee who deals with customers while the train is en route. I don't think the engineers are included, so maybe they have their own acronym?

I think a FAQ would be nice. I don't think anyone could come up with a whole dictionary's worth of examples, at least I hope not.

CCC = Cross Country Cafe. Basically it's a weird new-retro dining/cafe/lounge car that most folks on here don't like very much. I used to be against it, but then I remembered that it's actually the stale and flavorless cafeteria food that bothers me far more than the car, and that's not any different no matter which car you get.

OBS = On-Board Staff/Service. Basically any uniformed employee who deals with customers while the train is en route. I don't think the engineers are included, so maybe they have their own acronym?
Perhaps one of our members who is a retired engineer :help: (are you there hadley??)can weigh in on this: How about TDTT= They drive the Train! :lol: Some media types actually put into stories that the Conductor drives the train, (TCDTT), while in actuallity he's the HMFIC!!

(our software won't let me splain that one but everyone gets it!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

An anagram is a type of word play, the result of rearranging the letters of a word or phrase to produce a new word or phrase, using all the original letters exactly once; e.g., orchestra = carthorse, A decimal point = I'm a dot in place. Someone who creates anagrams is called an anagrammatist.[1] The original word or phrase is known as the subject of the anagram.

What you really want is a Glossary of Terms. It seems to me I have seen this somewhere in an Amtrak publication. Perhaps someone who works for Amtrak can locate this and put it on the forum. It may have been in some "new hire" papers.

Both Conductors and Engineers are not OBS - Coach attendants, Sleeping Car attendants, Lounge/Cafe car attendants & Dining Car staff, including Chefs are all OBS. They report to the Managers of the cities in which they work. Conductors and Engineers report elsewhere along the route.

Why not make a list?

Ones I've heard:

EB = Empire Builder

CS = Coast Starlight

CZ = California Zephyr

CNOL/CONO = City of New Orleans

AE = Acela Express

AT = Auto rain

ACS = Atlantic Coast Service

CL = Capitol Limited

LSL = Lake Shore Limited

SWC or SC = SouthWest Chief

SL = Sunset Limited

Pennsy = Pennsylvanian

CCC = Cross Country Cafe

SSL = SightSeer Lounge

DL = DinerLight/Lounge (same as CCC)

PPC = Pacific Parlor Car

OBS = On Board Staff/Service

Cabbage = Cab Baggage (F40PH NPCU, with baggage compartment)

NPCU = Non-Powered Control Unit

AGR = Amtrak Guest Rewards

S = Select

S+ = Select Pluss

AMTK = Amtrak

CTA = Chicago Transit Authority

NYCTA = New York City Transit Authority

NJT = New Jersey Transit

MTA = Metropolitan Transit Authority

LIRR = Long Island Rail Road

MBTA = Mass. Bay Transit Authority

NEC = North East Corrido

AU/AUL = Amtrak UnLimited (this forum)

EB = East Bound (is often confused with the Empire Builder)

WB = West Bound

NB = North Bound

SB = South Bound

These are ones may have been made up or may be used:

SJ = San Joaquin

CC = Capitol Corridor

HF = Hearland Flyer

BW = Blue Water

NER = NorthEast Regional

DE = DownEaster

ML = Maple Leaf

SM = Silver Meteor

SS = Silver Star

HS = Hoosier State

PM = Pere Marquette

PS or PSL = Pacific Surfliner

IS = Ilini-Saluki

HIA = Hiawatha

ES = Empire Service

LS = Lincoln Service

RR = River Runner

IZ = Illinois Zephyr

TB = Thruway Bus

3C = Tri-C Corridor in Ohio

MIS = Michigan Services

BR = BedRoom

RM = RooMette

FB or FBR = Family BR

AB or ABR = Accessible BR

BC = Business Class

FC = First Class

AF/I/II = Amfleet / Amfleet I / Amfleet II

SL = Superliner

VL = Viewliner

HZ = Horizon

ML = Metropolitan Lounge

CA = Club Acela

Then of course there are the city codes; these can be found out here:

http://www.amtrak.co...stations_A.html

And I'm sure there are many many more.

peter

More added from ALC's post. btw; what is the Tri-C Corridor? I've never heard of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Conductors and engineers are often referred to as T&E (train & engine) crew.

DL = DinerLight (same as CCC)
I've heard cross country cafes refered to as diner/lounges, which is convenient since it's still DL.

Actually, I thought diner lite was a derogatory term applied to single level food service cars like the ones that used to be on the LSL

An anagram is a type of word play, the result of rearranging the letters of a word or phrase to produce a new word or phrase, using all the original letters exactly once; e.g., orchestra = carthorse, A decimal point = I'm a dot in place. Someone who creates anagrams is called an anagrammatist.[1] The original word or phrase is known as the subject of the anagram.

What you really want is a Glossary of Terms. It seems to me I have seen this somewhere in an Amtrak publication. Perhaps someone who works for Amtrak can locate this and put it on the forum. It may have been in some "new hire" papers.
I would guess the original poster meant "acronyms" instead of "anagrams." An acronym is an abbreviation that is pronounced as a word, such as scuba (self-contained underwater breathing apparatus) or radar (radio detection and ranging) or laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation). Snafu is left as an exercise for the reader.

Some ones I noticed you missed.

CONO- City of New Orleans

Penny/Pennsy- Pennsylvanian

3C- Tri-C Corridor in Ohio

AF- Amfleet

AFI/AFII- variations based on the type of Amfleet

SL- Also used for Superliner

BC- Business Class

FC- First Class

S- Select, a level of AGR membership

AGR- Amtrak Guest Rewards, the loyalty program

S+ Select Plus, the top level of AGR membership

AU- Amtrak Unlimited, the name of the forum you're looking at

NEC- Northeast Corridor

PPC- Pacific Parlour Car, a lounge on the CS

Thank you!

My mistake - what I really meant was acronym, but you know how sometimes a different word sticks in your head...

Why not make a list?

Ones I've heard:

EB = Empire Builder

CS = Coast Starlight

OBS = On Board Staff/Service

CZ = California Zephyr

CNOL = City of New Orleans

AE = Acela Express

AT = Auto rain

ACS = Atlantic Coast Service

CL = Capitol Limited

LSL = Lake Shore Limited

SWC or SC = SouthWest Chief

SL = Sunset Limited

CCC = Cross Country Cafe

SSL = SightSeer Lounge

DL = DinerLight/Lounge (same as CCC)

AMTK = Amtrak

CTA = Chicago Transit Authority

NYCTA = New York City Transit Authority

NJT = New Jersey Transit

MTA = Metropolitan Transit Authority

LIRR = Long Island Rail Road

MBTA = Mass. Bay Transit Authority

EB = East Bound (is often confused with the Empire Builder)

WB = West Bound

NB = North Bound

SB = South Bound

These are ones I may have made up or may be used:

SJ = San Joaquin

CC = Capitol Corridor

HF = Hearland Flyer

BW = Blue Water

NER = NorthEast Regional

DE = DownEaster

ML = Maple Leaf

SM = Silver Meteor

SS = Silver Star

HS = Hoosier State

PM = Pere Marquette

PS or PSL = Pacific Surfliner

IS = Ilini-Saluki

HIA = Hiawatha

ES = Empire Service

LS = Lincoln Service

RR = River Runner

IZ = Illinois Zephyr

TB = Thruway Bus

BR = BedRoom

RM = RooMette

FB or FBR = Family BR

AB or ABR = Accessible BR

BC = Business Class

FC = First Class

ML = Metropolitan Lounge

CA = Club Acela

Then of course there are the city codes; these can be found out here:

http://www.amtrak.co...stations_A.html

And I'm sure there are many many more.

peter
Thank you! Very good start - I shall have to bookmark this page!

Soon after I joined the forum a year and a half ago, someone wrote and posted a very comprehensive list of terms and abbreviations. It included all those listed above plus many railroading terms - HEP, outlawed crew, etc. I intended to save it, but didn't. Maybe someone here can dig back in the archives and bring it back. It sure was helpful.

DL = DinerLight (same as CCC)
I've heard cross country cafes refered to as diner/lounges, which is convenient since it's still DL.

Actually, I thought diner lite was a derogatory term applied to single level food service cars like the ones that used to be on the LSL
I've heard all three terms used....

peter
Diner-lite was the term originally applied to both the single and bi-level cars. After the first roll out of a Superliner Diner-Lite car, which was tested on the Capitol Limited, saw many changes to the designs of the subsequent cars (even the original was brought back and modified), they changed the name to the Cross Country Cafe.

The Amfleets however kept the diner-lite moniker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back