Another Chicago Union Station question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill631

Train Attendant
I have yet another question about Chicago's Union Station.

I am planning another trip to TX soon and it looks like I will have several hours layover in Chicago, as I usually do.

In previous trips, I have stayed in Union Station. I usually hang out in one of the sports bars and watch TV or read, and of course have a couple of beers

But next time I want to try to maybe get around Chicago a little, maybe take their local train system around a little.

Basically, I just kind of wanted to know if their local trains go through Union Station, or if there is any thing to see within walking distance of Union Station?

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Bill :

I understand that the Berghoff has recently re-opened it is an icon . A great place to have a sandwich and beer or two. It is located a couple of blocks down Adams street, well worth the short walk. It is also a block from the el. Have fun

Bill631 said:
Basically, I just kind of wanted to know if their local trains go through Union Station, or if there is any thing to see within walking distance of Union Station?
Nope. Nothing to see.

Just kidding.

The "local" trains you are probably thinking of, i.e. the elevated ('L') trains, do not serve Union Station directly. You can either walk east across the bridge, and two blocks to Wells and ride the trains in the Loop, or you can exit Union Station at Clinton Street (the very western edge of the station) and go south a couple of blocks to the Blue Line subway, or north a few blocks to the Green Line on Lake Street.

There are also Metra commuter trains which run directly into Union Station, and serve the suburban region around Chicago.

Which trains will you be arriving/leaving on? I can give a few suggestions based on what time of day you'll be here.

Robert,

I'll be arriving on the Capitol Ltd. at 8:30am(scheduled arrival time that is), and departing on the Texas eagle at 3:20pm.

So I'll have around 7 hours to kill in Chicago.

I just wanted to see a little of the city.

Bill

Bill631 said:
Robert,I'll be arriving on the Capitol Ltd. at 8:30am(scheduled arrival time that is), and departing on the Texas eagle at 3:20pm.

So I'll have around 7 hours to kill in Chicago.

I just wanted to see a little of the city.

Bill
You will have time also the sears tower is just a block or 2 from Union Station.

BNSF_1088 said:
You will have time also the sears tower is just a block or 2 from Union Station.
Adult tickets to the Skydeck at $11.95 and $8.50 for kids!!! It would cost my family over $40. I am sure it is a nice view, but that is way too much.

rmadisonwi said:
Bill631 said:
Nope. Nothing to see.

Just kidding.

The "local" trains you are probably thinking of, i.e. the elevated ('L') trains, do not serve Union Station directly. You can either walk east across the bridge, and two blocks to Wells and ride the trains in the Loop, or you can exit Union Station at Clinton Street (the very western edge of the station) and go south a couple of blocks to the Blue Line subway, or north a few blocks to the Green Line on Lake Street.

There are also Metra commuter trains which run directly into Union Station, and serve the suburban region around Chicago.

Which trains will you be arriving/leaving on? I can give a few suggestions based on what time of day you'll be here.
Robert, My wife and I will be arriving in Chicago next month on the Capital like Bill 631. Are the 'L' trains a full loop so we can board on Wells and return there? If so, any idea on the time it takes for a full loop and the cost?

THX......BD

:blink:

Boxcar Dummy said:
Robert, My wife and I will be arriving in Chicago next month on the Capital like Bill 631. Are the 'L' trains a full loop so we can board on Wells and return there? If so, any idea on the time it takes for a full loop and the cost?THX......BD

BD,

The tracks themselves do indeed make a full loop, but it is not possible to ride just one train completely around the loop without either transferring to another train or leaving the loop and going one stop to transfer to an inbound train back to the loop.

During rush hours when the Purple line runs down to the loop, one can take a combination of the Orange and Purple line trains to make the full loop. For example boarding at Quincy/Wells, the closest stop to Union Station, one would catch an Orange line train.

Once you reach Clark or at any of the next 4 stations, you would have to leave that train and switch to a Purple line train to return to Quincy/Wells. I would guess that the total time required to do that would be maybe 15 minutes including the transfer and it would cost $2.00 per person.

However, if you were to try to do this outside of rush hour, then you would have no choice but to board either and Orange train or a Brown train, ride it until it leaves the loop. Then get off at the first station out of the loop and switch to a train headed back to the loop, in order to complete your ride around the loop.

This map should help to give you some idea of what I'm describing to you. Scroll about halfway down the page to see the loop.

People have different ideas of what they consider "walking distance".

I consider the Field Museum of Natural History and the Shedd Aquariam within reasonable walking distance.

I don't think anybody else mentioned them---my apologies if I overlooked them. Those are old standby-s not to be missed.

I understand that the Berghoff has recently re-opened it is an icon . A great place to have a sandwich and beer or two. It is located a couple of blocks down Adams street, well worth the short walk. It is also a block from the el.
What is the source as to this place re-opening, if anyone knows. It closed in Feb of '06 and made the CBS evening news. I had eaten there a number of times and it was like being back in Germany!

Has it really re-opened? No web-site info I can find except that it is closed.

Thanks!!

(Boxcar Dummy @ Wed, May 17, 2006, 01:48 PM) Robert, My wife and I will be arriving in Chicago next month on the Capital like Bill 631. Are the 'L' trains a full loop so we can board on Wells and return there? If so, any idea on the time it takes for a full loop and the cost?

THX......BD
The tracks themselves do indeed make a full loop, but it is not possible to ride just one train completely around the loop without either transferring to another train or leaving the loop and going one stop to transfer to an inbound train back to the loop.

During rush hours when the Purple line runs down to the loop, one can take a combination of the Orange and Purple line trains to make the full loop. For example boarding at Quincy/Wells, the closest stop to Union Station, one would catch an Orange line train.

Once you reach Clark or at any of the next 4 stations, you would have to leave that train and switch to a Purple line train to return to Quincy/Wells. I would guess that the total time required to do that would be maybe 15 minutes including the transfer and it would cost $2.00 per person.

However, if you were to try to do this outside of rush hour, then you would have no choice but to board either and Orange train or a Brown train, ride it until it leaves the loop. Then get off at the first station out of the loop and switch to a train headed back to the loop, in order to complete your ride around the loop.
Depending on how much time you have a neat El ride is on the Orange line out to Midway and back (30 minutes each way. The tracks parallel many RR tracks on the way out and when coming back into town, the view of the skyline is very nice, especially when the weather is nice.

Or, you can ride a few stops out, and then come back, thus getting you all the way around the loop, too.

I have been to the Museum of Science and Industry several times and still not seen it all. It's well worth spending a good chunk of your day there.

The Art Institute is wonderful, as well. I enjoy walking, but if you're not fond of walking, you should probably know it's probably in the range of 12 blocks or so with Millenium Park just a bit further. The Aquarium and the Field Museum are about twice that far. Chicago is a very easy city to walk, and I would feel comfortable walking to any of these places alone during the day. And going to any of these places would be time well spent!

Sadly, one of my favorite thing to do is now closed to the public. :( Watching a bit of the action on the trading floor at the Board of Trade is a fun way to spend a short amount of time and no money at all. It's only 3 or 4 blocks. I think you can only visit on a pre-arranged group tour now since 9-11. If nothing else, stumble out of the train station and practically run into Sears Tower.

MrFSS said:
I understand that the Berghoff has recently re-opened it is an icon . A great place to have a sandwich and beer or two. It is located a couple of blocks down Adams street, well worth the short walk. It is also a block from the el.
What is the source as to this place re-opening, if anyone knows. It closed in Feb of '06 and made the CBS evening news. I had eaten there a number of times and it was like being back in Germany!

Has it really re-opened? No web-site info I can find except that it is closed.

Thanks!!
The reopening is true...sort of.

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/dining/...0,1670810.venue

I must say, though...that place was terribly overrated and primarily a tourist destination. I ate there for the first time last fall. It was one of the worst meals in recent memory. Maybe I was there on an off night??? The building is beautiful and the history impressive, but the food was awful. There are 2 far better German restaurants in Chicago that I have personal experience with...just in case anybody is looking for that fare...but they're not near CUS. There are so many excellent restaurants here, I'll never make it to them all. Eating out is my favorite hobby. :) It's ridiculous, actually. I'm a culinary school grad and still haven't worked in a restaurant.

AlanB said:
Boxcar Dummy said:
Robert, My wife and I will be arriving in Chicago next month on the Capital like Bill 631. Are the 'L' trains a full loop so we can board on Wells and return there? If so, any idea on the time it takes for a full loop and the cost?THX......BD

BD,

This map should help to give you some idea of what I'm describing to you. Scroll about halfway down the page to see the loop.
Thanks AllenB and MrfSS... wow this old country boy would get lost just as sure as a pigs butt is pork. :D The museum is sounding much better now. ;) Oh what the hell, I might just try it. After all I'll have close to 7 hours if all is close to schedule. Might just go out to the cemetery and visit old "Al" :lol: ......BD

printman2000 said:
You may have time to go to the Museum of Science and Industry. You can take a Metra train from Union Station. Looks to be a great museum. I hope I have time to get to it in July.
http://www.msichicago.org/
Actually, one can't take Metra from Union Station to the MSI. The closest Metra stop to the museum is (I think) 55th/56th/57th, which runs out of Randolph/Millennium Station near the lakefront. Union Station is about a mile or so west of there.

As for connecting between the Capitol Limited and the Texas Eagle, it depends on how close to on-time your arriving train is. With the Eagle leaving at 3:20, I'd be back at Union Station no later than 2:30 pm.

Now, if you're interested in "sightseeing" sightseeing, others have given suggestions on what you can do. It really depends on what you're interested in. If you're interested in railfan sightseeing and riding some of the transit lines, I'd recommend a ride on the Brown Line (Ravenswood), which runs from the Loop, northwest to Kimball/Lawrence and back. The ride is nice, and towards the end, you're literally in the middle of an alley, with the tracks passing by people's garages. You get a similar effect if you happen to be on the line to 54/Cermak, but you have to exit the fare-paid area and re-enter (costs 25 cents for a transfer on your transit card, or an extra fare if you happen to lose your card).

If you ride the Brown Line, allow for about an hour and a half for the round-trip (it shouldn't take quite that long, but just to be on the safe side).

Riding the Orange Line to Midway is also interesting, but (in my opinion) the Brown Line is more interesting, at least from the standpoint of the transit operation (the Orange Line parallels a busy freight line, but other than that its route isn't anything special).

If your trip happens to be after the end of June, you can ride the new Pink Line, which replaces the Blue Line to 54/Cermak, operating through the loop elevated instead of the subway.

If you're interested in riding older equipment, then ride the Blue Line (or the Pink Line when it starts running), as that/those line(s) run the 2200-series cars, built by Budd way back when. They are identifiable as being boxy-looking and have double-sets of doors, as opposed to the wide sliding doors on the rest of the cars. In reality, though, all CTA cars are pretty much the same, with just some minor differences between the different series.

As I noted earlier, to get to the Loop, exit Union Station and walk east across the river, and about two blocks to Wells Street (you can't miss it).

Probably stuff I'm forgetting, but I'm tired. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

printman2000 said:
You may have time to go to the Museum of Science and Industry. You can take a Metra train from Union Station. Looks to be a great museum. I hope I have time to get to it in July.
I'm considering a similar Chicago visit in June. I'll be in Nebraska and thought about taking the Zephyr into Chicago to visit the MSI and perhaps other sites, like the Art Institute and planetarium. Given, I am a real novice when it comes to the Chicago area, I took some interest in this thread and particularly Printman's message about taking Metra from Union to the MSI. Maybe I read too far into this, but I was not able to find a Metra train that goes from CUS to 55-56-57 Station. However, it does appear to be an easy walk from CUS to Van Buren Station where one can pick up the Electric Line to 55-56-57 station. Does anyone have a different route?

deimos said:
printman2000 said:
I'm considering a similar Chicago visit in June. I'll be in Nebraska and thought about taking the Zephyr into Chicago to visit the MSI and perhaps other sites, like the Art Institute and planetarium. Given, I am a real novice when it comes to the Chicago area, I took some interest in this thread and particularly Printman's message about taking Metra from Union to the MSI. Maybe I read too far into this, but I was not able to find a Metra train that goes from CUS to 55-56-57 Station. However, it does appear to be an easy walk from CUS to Van Buren Station where one can pick up the Electric Line to 55-56-57 station. Does anyone have a different route?
Yeah, someone pointed out above that there is not a Metra from Union Station, it is from another location. I have never been there so I was mistaken. The Metra line leaves from a different station.

There may still be a way to get there from CUS, but someone else would have to tell you.

Here is a great site for finding how to get from point A to point B in Chicago. The drop downs have both Union Station (its under Union Station) and the museums. Ususally gives several different options for each trip and estimated time of travel. See what you think.

deimos said:
Maybe I read too far into this, but I was not able to find a Metra train that goes from CUS to 55-56-57 Station. However, it does appear to be an easy walk from CUS to Van Buren Station where one can pick up the Electric Line to 55-56-57 station. Does anyone have a different route?
That's basically what I said in the previous message.

Van Buren station is a couple of blocks south of the Electric terminus at Randolph/Millennium Station. I'd recommend boarding there, just because. There are several CTA buses that run between Union Station and the Electric station. Otherwise, you can walk a few blocks, board the L and ride a couple of stops to the Randolph/Wabash station, then walk over, or you could walk all the way there.

Just to clarify, when I said "I'd recommend boarding 'there,'" the "there" I'm referring to is Randolph St/Millennium Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back