another sunset question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

scott

i'm trying to decide whether or not to add the Sunset trip to my month on the american pass. any particular fans of this train? The other option is SW Chief to Chicago and CONO down to New Orleans.

Pros? Cons? I do know about the chronic lateness of the Sunset; that's not really an issue. I'm more concerned about scenery, the friendliness of the crew, etc.

Right now the operation of the Sunset is so dysfunctional that it is hard to recommend even for railfans. The risk is not just extreme lateness (12 hours +) but that it will not run at all or that you will have a 600 mile bus ride. My opinion: use the SW Chief and the City of NOL.

If you are traveling from LAX to NOL, odds are in your favor that you won't have a bus ride (unless there's a drailment or something else blocking the line). The bustitution is for people riding other trains (or those traveling beyond New Orleans, as the train may be late enough that they turn it short).

Scenery isn't bad. Southwestern desert was actually quite interesting when I rode that way in May. Southwest Chief is probably a bit more scenic, though it all depends on your tastes.

As a side note, a recent (within the last week) train 2 (I don't recall the origin date) actually departed Los Angeles and made it as far as Houston running less than two hours late.

#2 has been doing well since IVAN CSXT won't hav the track fixed through Pesacola for about 2-3 more weeks so UP traffic is down and Amtrak isn't getting screwd as much but just wait and it will be back to normal and the train will run 12-14 hrs late again.

I would definitely reccomend the City as PRR said. It's an amazing train ride, the Sunset while it has better Superliner II equipment, the City wins in ride overall. Besides which, this way you'll get a couple of hours in the big city of Chicago.

Back