Anyone around Santa Barbara or Oakland willing to help?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtabern

Conductor
Kinda an unusual request, but I'll throw it out there to see if anyone in the Santa Barbara or San Jose/Oakland areas are willing to help us out here...

My wife and I are planning to do a romantic ride on the Coast Starlight to celebrate our 1 year anniversary in early October. She grew up in SoCal, and loves In-n-Out Burger. We live in Wisconsin and the closest one is over 1,000 miles... so it's always a highlight when visiting California. Since we leave LA so early, it doesn't look like we can get In-n-Out before #14 departs. :(

Is there anyone willing to grab an order for us... and hand it off at Santa Barbara or San Jose/Oakland? I'll throw in an extra $20 for you on top of what our order is... plus throw in a copy of my autographed Southwest Chief route book that I wrote (a $45 value for you).

PM me on here if you can help out -- Friday, October 4.

And 33 years ago on that date was Mrs. Crockett's and my first date... :wub:

...so no, I won't be in Santa Barbara that day either. :p

But good luck Robert!

And BTW, to prospective train meeters: The Southwest Chief book is a beauty!

My daughter may know some people who might be able to do it. She also suggested checking to see if there are any food delivery businesses that pick up from your selected restaurant (yes I know it's a burger joint).

Does it have to be one of those cities? I know Salinas is a quick stop but too quick? I can ask mr if that would be ok. Actually, mr is fine with it but I'm not sure how quick the Salinas stop is. Let me know - you can always use us as a back up plan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd it is, there is In-N-Out Burgers at Fisherman's Wharf in San Fransisco. As a native Californian, I'll need to stop ay one of them soon!

There are some in Salt Lake City and Dallas areas.

Closest to SBA will be in Goleta. Closest to SJC is by the airport. Closest to OKJ is by Hegenberger. I've been to all 3 and the easiest one would be either the one in Goleta or San Jose. Another option would be OXN as there is an In 'N Out in Ventura or SNS as the In 'N Out there is only about 5 minutes from the train station for a quick drop if anyone were by there. EMY's closest one is in Pinole. SAC's closest is actually in West Sacramento or Natomas. No love for MTZ as the nearest would be in Concord I believe.

All that aside... I have no idea of what my work schedule would be then (I'm in the Bay Area). I hope someone will be able to deliverer one to you! I guess I shouldn't take it for granted next time I go to one... :(

Odd it is, there is In-N-Out Burgers at Fisherman's Wharf in San Fransisco. As a native Californian, I'll need to stop ay one of them soon!
There are some in Salt Lake City and Dallas areas.
There was a Hooter's next door to it, but that closed - apparently when the landlord decided not to renew the lease. I've been there after a big event (Fleet Week air show) and it was just swamped. I just sat on one of the waiting area benches and put my kid in a high chair.

And the Hegenberger In-N-Out was mentioned. That is an area I prefer to avoid. If I were going to do this for the OP, I'd pick up in San Leandro - about 6 miles further down 880.

Im not in California but love your idea of an attempted delivery. Salinas would be doable. The train even when late always seems to stop for at least 5 minutes making it a fesh air stop.

Does it have to be one of those cities? I know Salinas is a quick stop but too quick? I can ask mr if that would be ok. Actually, mr is fine with it but I'm not sure how quick the Salinas stop is. Let me know - you can always use us as a back up plan!
Hey, drop me an e-mail!! rtabern at yahoo.com

Would it be possible to leave a "care package" with Amtrak personnel? I don't know if they would do it, and they'd probably want to see anything because of fears that maybe there's some explosive or chemical weapon.

It would probably get cold anyways.

How about a midnight snack? The one in Chico is open till 1:30 on Friday, so I could pick up some burgers (animal style, right?) and toss the bag to you at 1:47 am when the CS makes its stop here.

If you ever take the California Zephyr I can always drop off a midnight snack in Salt Lake City.

Taken care of and excited to do it! No extra incentive needed. Every road trip, I always make my husband take me to In n Out Burger since I never get to enjoy them locally - even though he works around the corner from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back