Anyone Going My Way

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1956a

Train Attendant
I'm leaving Phila on Oct 19 taking northeast regional to Wash then taking capitol limited to Chicago an then the S WC TO LA then CS TO Oakland.Returning on Oct 24 talking the CZ back to Philly.Anybody going my way maybe from the forum would like to hear from them maybe we could meet up somewhere

Thanks

Greg

Greg, if you are going to be in Chicago Union Station on Sunday, October 20th, you may run into several AU members in the lounge (or elsewhere). The SWC will be leaving earlier than most of the trains that AU members are taking to return home, but some of us might be around.

Greg, if you are going to be in Chicago Union Station on Sunday, October 20th, you may run into several AU members in the lounge (or elsewhere). The SWC will be leaving earlier than most of the trains that AU members are taking to return home, but some of us might be around.
Mini-Post Gathering in the Metro Lounge! Lock up the Women and the Children and Notify Homeland Security! :eek: (Ill be waiting for the Texas Eagle but sitting with the "Normal" People in the Lounge! :giggle:

Mini-Post Gathering in the Metro Lounge! Lock up the Women and the Children and Notify Homeland Security! :eek: (Ill be waiting for the Texas Eagle but sitting with the "Normal" People in the Lounge! :giggle:
Hey, watch it there. Then again, after spending 3 days with a bunch of foaming guys, we may want to be locked away from them. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out that I'll be in Philadelphia October 19th too.......

I'll be coming from the airport and looking to catch a Keystone train over to Harrisburg. You'll likely be boarding the CL by the time I get to 30th Street Station though.

I think I'll miss everyone! I'll be at the CHI metro lounge on Tuesday 17th, waiting for the CS in LAUS on the 20th, in SEA on the 22nd. I'll be having lunch with a FB friend in CHI and SEA, don't know where to eat near the station, but apparently they do. ;) Oops, yeah I'm SUPPOSE to be back at CHI on Tuesday the 24th to make my connection to the CDL. We'll see about that #8. :giggle:

I think I'll miss everyone! I'll be at the CHI metro lounge on Tuesday 17th, waiting for the CS in LAUS on the 20th, in SEA on the 22nd. I'll be having lunch with a FB friend in CHI and SEA, don't know where to eat near the station, but apparently they do. ;) Oops, yeah I'm SUPPOSE to be back at CHI on Tuesday the 24th to make my connection to the CDL. We'll see about that #8. :giggle:
Do you mean THURSDAY, the 17th? If so, you might see some of us hanging out in the lounge after we arrive. Some are arriving on the LSL and some are arriving on the CDL.

If you are going to be in the Metro Lounge on the 17th of October that is a Thursday and Several AU Members and Guests will be arriving on the LSL, Cap and Card for the Gathering in CHI! So you may get to meet several of us if you're not ashamed to be seen in Public with Train Fans! :giggle:

Greg, I moved to RNO recently, so you could be passing and taking a rest break in my "new town". But 24 October is a Thursday, so I'll probably be busy when the CZ comes through. Too bad, I could try though.

Greg, I moved to RNO recently, so you could be passing and taking a rest break in my "new town". But 24 October is a Thursday, so I'll probably be busy when the CZ comes through. Too bad, I could try though.
Ahhhhhh - I was wondering where you were to not be hearing #6 yesterday!

Perhaps a photo of the station at RNO will work it's way into the 'Name That Station' thread soon!

Ahhhhhh - I was wondering where you were to not be hearing #6 yesterday!

Perhaps a photo of the station at RNO will work it's way into the 'Name That Station' thread soon!
Well, I won't now because everyone will know that's it RNO. I don't have useable (non-giveaway) pics of anywhere else and I won't be taking Amtrak for a long time (for more pics) so I still can't play Name That Station even though I have a Flickr account now.

Hey, I have lots of bus pics, but I can't use them here.

Well, I won't now because everyone will know that's it RNO. I don't have useable (non-giveaway) pics of anywhere else and I won't be taking Amtrak for a long time (for more pics) so I still can't play Name That Station even though I have a Flickr account now.

Ohhhhhhhh - Bus pictures you say? Let's go way off-topic and post a self-portrait! This is me 20 years ago doing my summer driving gig with the Colts Drum & Bugle Corps. I'm posing in front of my bus parked in downtown Montreal!

66408_3505177024376_193636769_n.jpg

Uh....., Notelvis, that might have better on a PM, many people are angry about me going "Bus Off-Topic" and "Threadjacking"..... :help:

But if no one minds, I won't complain! :giggle: So, that's about 1990? Back then I was still a kid. Hopefully you enjoyed driving that old Buffalo up to Montreal. I should upload some of my own pics to Flickr, haven't done any yet, but I won't post them on the public forums since the majority are bus, not train, related. I must say, I don't think I've ever a Buffalo, I remember riding a secondhand Eagle but not this!

Soory, Greg, I had to post this about buses. :blush:

I'm adding "threadjacking" to my AU vocabulary. Previous entries are bustitution, lounge lizards, and gate dragons. I'm sure there are more unique terms that don't come to mind right now, due to the 2 glasses of wine tonight. Lovin' it!

I really enjoyed the experience and did it for at least parts of every summer from 1993 - 2005. Driving the bus was fun but being surrounded by about 128 very dedicated young people all summer was even better.

This particular photo was in 1995 about a year or two before the Colts let the Buffalos go in favor of MC-8's. The organization owned 6 nearly matching Buffalos and would have 3 or 4 on the road at any given time during the tour.

I'll say that the biggest challenge about driving that bus to Montreal was bringing it back through US customs with 48 teenagers each having about 2-weeks worth of luggage aboard...... particularly considering that the Colts, like many US drum corps, had several members that summer who were from England and Japan. Even in the pre 9-11 world that slowed the process down considerably as our 4 buses, two semi's, and several assorted vans hit the border.

OK........ no more bus talk here....... maybe through private messages or whatnot!

You might as well add another word: Swadian - n. any person that is very enthusiastic about buses. ex: That Swadian just rode a Greyhound bus for 40 hours, and he'd do it again!

:)

Do you mean THURSDAY, the 17th?
No, my bad. I was thinking this was October (all the leaves starting to change and fall in the wind and rain). I'm leaving this month, I'll be at CHI lounge on Tuesday Sept. 17 and hopefully Tuesday the 24th of September (hopefully cause it's the EB to the Card).

You might as well add another word: Swadian - n. any person that is very enthusiastic about buses. ex: That Swadian just rode a Greyhound bus for 40 hours, and he'd do it again!

Put me on a bus for 40 Hours people better start running.. Buses are stupid, no leg room, gross bathrooms that smell worse then the Amfleet bathrooms, and too damn cramped...

That Swadian better find a new hobby... And the Swadian on this fourm better stop talking about the freggin bus.. This is AMTRAK Unlimited.. Not Greyhound Unlimited.

I'll admit I'm a little grumpy.. So sorry for the way it came out.. When February or March comes around I'll be even crabier with 2 babies ruling my house.

Put me on a bus for 40 Hours people better start running.. Buses are stupid, no leg room, gross bathrooms that smell worse then the Amfleet bathrooms, and too damn cramped...

That Swadian better find a new hobby... And the Swadian on this fourm better stop talking about the freggin bus.. This is AMTRAK Unlimited.. Not Greyhound Unlimited.

I'll admit I'm a little grumpy.. So sorry for the way it came out.. When February or March comes around I'll be even crabier with 2 babies ruling my house.
Gosh, it was just a joke. Why are you so angry? I wasn't insulting anybody at all. It was just on top of that "threadjacking" joke. I'm not telling anybody to ride Greyhound, I'm just putting forth my "Swadian" reputation about buses even though the original "Swadian" had nothing to do with buses.

Remember, I was very reluctant to reply to Notelvis' bus picture post and I said that people are going to angry about it, but I just posted it anyway because no one was replying directly to Greg anyways. My apologies to Notelvis, no offence intended.

Did I get all this wrong? Are you just faking all this anger? Did something go wrong at home and you're taking it out on the Internet? Come on, man, I have respect for firefighters and I'm from Philly too, what are you doing?

Ohhhhhhhh - Bus pictures you say? Let's go way off-topic and post a self-portrait! This is me 20 years ago doing my summer driving gig with the Colts Drum & Bugle Corps. I'm posing in front of my bus parked in downtown Montreal!

66408_3505177024376_193636769_n.jpg
OH, YOU wait a minute. I marched, drove the truck, instructed and later drove buses ( old trailways and greyhound super sceniccruisers for several corps. You sure that wasn't 30 years ago in Montreal for DCI finals in ...ummm82 ?

Here I am reading through posts and see the pic and think "I wonder if that has anything to do with Colts from Iowa ? "...THEN I read the post. There are several D&BC people on this site by the way. I go back long enought to remember when they were the Colt 45's and the DM wore pistols. Man, this was a great pic to see, Thanks

I always had a thing for SCV's coaches. The fact that they bought them NEW right off the line to their specs was amazing. I'll take a Silver Eagle anyday !

In the interest of returning this thread to some version of it's original intention -The content (which was off-topic) I posted here an hour ago has been removed and sent to the Other Mike via PM.

Greg, I'd be quite scared to ride the CZ again after that washout near Tunnel #2. I hope you'll be safe and the train won't crash off the cliff. That picture on the CZ suspension thread really shook me up, Now I would rather take the flatter Wyoming route, mountain scenery thrown out the window. The CZ route is just too scary for me. I don't like roller coasters or other amusment parks, I prefer to stay safe on the flat.

At this point we don't even know when the line will get fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back