Anyone know why #6 is late 2/8/17?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're catching #6 in Fraser today and it's almost 7 hours late last time I checked. Tried searching for what the delay is but no luck. Please post any information you might have

Thankfully the manager at the Holiday Inn here in Fraser is super nice & she's letting us hang in the room until the train arrives. Helps that they're not busy & don't need the room tonight.

Very stormy in the Sierra Nevada with heavy wet snow each day since Sunday and continuing through Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually per posts on Trainorders both 5 and 6 had to detour between SLC and Elko with 6 suffering the most delay. Regular tracks were involved in a "washout". Not sure where Triley got the "boulder rumor".

Actually per posts on Trainorders both 5 and 6 had to detour between SLC and Elko with 6 suffering the most delay. Regular tracks were involved in a "washout". Not sure where Triley got the "boulder rumor".
What trackage does the Zephyr use for a detour for this? I know the detour routes for CS, SWC, and EB, but not familiar with possible detour routes for the CZ.

From the internal page of comments regarding train 6 that were made by various agents. There was no mention of a detour for 6 (7), so excuse me for being wrong.

It sounds to me like the trains got detoured due to floods, whereupon they were further delayed due to a boulder being on the detour tracks.

The weird weather going on in this part of the country is causing havoc. I would guess that the #5 and #6 will be screwed for at least a few days (especially if another boulder appears? :giggle: ).The UP is shut down as well.

Teamwork always gets the job done!

14639674583_91f6cde47d_o.jpg

What trackage does the Zephyr use for a detour for this? I know the detour routes for CS, SWC, and EB, but not familiar with possible detour routes for the CZ.
The reroute was on the Lucin cutoff that runs north of SLC and crosses the Great Salt Lake on a long trestle. A very picturesque ride in daylight.

The reroute was on the Lucin cutoff that runs north of SLC and crosses the Great Salt Lake on a long trestle. A very picturesque ride in daylight.
Was that the same route that the San Francisco Zephyr (predecessor to the California Zephyr) in the 1970s, when it served Ogden instead of SLC and also served Cheyenne, WY, or is that another route?

Train was 7 hours late picking us up in Fraser. Delay was caused by 2 situations. 1 was some boulders on the track that needed to be cleared (can't remember where our sca said this happened). 2 was a track washout and reroute to slc.

Bummed we missed our steak dinner on the train last night. We had to settle for Mexican at Azteca in Fraser.

Train was 7 hours late picking us up in Fraser. Delay was caused by 2 situations. 1 was some boulders on the track that needed to be cleared (can't remember where our sca said this happened). 2 was a track washout and reroute to slc.

Bummed we missed our steak dinner on the train last night. We had to settle for Mexican at Azteca in Fraser.
Is the Fraser Brazier still there?

I'm scheduled to leave Chicago for Emeryville in a CZ roomette on 2/11. I received an email this evening telling me there was a service disruption and I should call in for "travel options". I called and was told there was a washout between SLC and Reno, and that I would be bussed between those points. At Reno a train (all coach) would take me on to Emeryville. I was offered a refund or a voucher for the "loss of accommodation" between SLC and EMY.

Was that the same route that the San Francisco Zephyr (predecessor to the California Zephyr) in the 1970s, when it served Ogden instead of SLC and also served Cheyenne, WY, or is that another route?
yes, indeed.
I've been on the route once on Amtrak's CZ, but slept during most of the dark ride across the causeway.

Back