arbitrary car closing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, technically Amtrak doesn't run commuter trains, but the Keystones, Hiawathas, Capitol Corridor and Pacific Surfliners all come awfully close to being commuter operations.
And we can probably also point to some "commuter trains" that have intercity-ish characteristics.

If we insist on categorizing each train it would seem useful to add a third, middle category (regional, perhaps?). Or just recognize that not everything falls neatly into either commuter or intercity.

And what if somebody decides to get all criminal on some other patron at the end of an empty car?
Amfleets have automatic doors for high level platforms so that happens automatically. On stations with low level platforms, always an announcement is made that only exit where you see a member of the crew, as not all dors will open.

I can probably see your point about criminal etc. Although that still doesn't mean that one car should be open. Three out of five and nobody says anything. Heck, while I would be a bit unhappy, but less complaining if one car was open as quiet car and the other as regular car. In fact I'd probably have no grounds to complain.

Of course, technically Amtrak doesn't run commuter trains, but the Keystones, Hiawathas, Capitol Corridor and Pacific Surfliners all come awfully close to being commuter operations.
And we can probably also point to some "commuter trains" that have intercity-ish characteristics.

Indeed....it takes longer to get from Penn Station, NY on the LIRR to Montauk, then it does on Amtrak to get to Washington! :)

I had a similar thing happen twice recently. Texas Eagle a couple months ago with 1 coach completely empty and all pax put with seatmates in the others. No explanation about the empty coach (middle of the 3), but I didn't ask either. Just became a lounge lizard.

Recently on Adirondack was traveling with my gf and no 2 seaters in last 2 cars. Conductor advised is to split up and find seats. I pointed out the many empty 2 seaters in forward 3 coaches, and he said we'd need to be in rear coach for Canadian customs at border. I assured him we could find our way back within the 7 hrs to Canadian border. He then straight lied to me and said everything forward of cafe was being removed in ALB and only rear coaches continuing. We split into aisle seats for the ride to ALB. Once we departed ALB, and the consist stayed the same, I door with new conductor who was surprised about the prior crew and advised us to sit where we wish, because the whole train goes to MTR.

I work in airline operations, so understand things happen. What I can't stand is kindergarten policies and "rogue" crews

I had a similar thing happen twice recently. Texas Eagle a couple months ago with 1 coach completely empty and all pax put with seatmates in the others. No explanation about the empty coach (middle of the 3), but I didn't ask either. Just became a lounge lizard.

Recently on Adirondack was traveling with my gf and no 2 seaters in last 2 cars. Conductor advised is to split up and find seats. I pointed out the many empty 2 seaters in forward 3 coaches, and he said we'd need to be in rear coach for Canadian customs at border. I assured him we could find our way back within the 7 hrs to Canadian border. He then straight lied to me and said everything forward of cafe was being removed in ALB and only rear coaches continuing. We split into aisle seats for the ride to ALB. Once we departed ALB, and the consist stayed the same, I door with new conductor who was surprised about the prior crew and advised us to sit where we wish, because the whole train goes to MTR.

I work in airline operations, so understand things happen. What I can't stand is kindergarten policies and "rogue" crews
THIS

Last edited by a moderator:
And what if somebody decides to get all criminal on some other patron at the end of an empty car?
Amfleets have automatic doors for high level platforms so that happens automatically. On stations with low level platforms, always an announcement is made that only exit where you see a member of the crew, as not all dors will open.

I can probably see your point about criminal etc. Although that still doesn't mean that one car should be open. Three out of five and nobody says anything. Heck, while I would be a bit unhappy, but less complaining if one car was open as quiet car and the other as regular car. In fact I'd probably have no grounds to complain.
You make a very valid point about opening two cars.

You're quite right that with two cars open probably nobody would have seen fit to complain.

Longer journeys should have optional reservation purchase, as they do in Europe. More revenue for Amtrak and conductors would be well out of these seating dramas except when some idjit tries to take a reserved seat. (Oh yeah, you can bet that will happen.)

Realistically only about 1/3 of customers will buy reserved seats if that so that frees the others to take their chances.

Less than three hours, frequent stops? Forget it.

I wish the 1/3rd thing turns out to be true. Admittedly somewhat different on British railways since they don;t usually charge for reservation though it is available in only some of the higher fare categories, but I have been in situations where there were way less than a quarter of the seats on the train remaining as unreserved seats. Not that unusual on the ECML specially during rush hours.

I wish the 1/3rd thing turns out to be true. Admittedly somewhat different on British railways since they don;t usually charge for reservation though it is available in only some of the higher fare categories, but I have been in situations where there were way less than a quarter of the seats on the train remaining as unreserved seats.
Those "reserved seats" notices on British railways are a real head scratcher IMO. In many cases they appear to be as meaningless as the "big group" warnings on Amtrak. If you actually followed those notices you'd have nowhere to sit despite having a valid ticket on a half empty train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back