Atlanta to Birmingham-Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supergrandmother

Train Attendant
Took my 10 year-old grandson to DC last October on the Crescent and he loved it. Now it's the granddaughter's turn. Since she just turned 5, we are taking a much shorter trip to Birmingham. The Crescent leaves Atlanta around 8:30am so does anyone know if we would be able eat breakfast on the train? She has never been on a train and is so excited about eating on it. What about dinner on the return trip? We will spend the one night at the Redmont in Birmingham, attend a play at the Children's Theater and then board the train for the return trip around 2:00pm. I remember when we went to DC, we ate breakfast but we didn't arrive in DC until around 10:00am and on the way back to Atlanta, there was no dining car.

Also, does anyone know if the Peanut Depot is still near the Amtrak station in Birmingham?

This is the trail run to see how she really likes the train. If all goes well, I plan to take both of them on a longer trip in late summer.

Took my 10 year-old grandson to DC last October on the Crescent and he loved it. Now it's the granddaughter's turn. Since she just turned 5, we are taking a much shorter trip to Birmingham. The Crescent leaves Atlanta around 8:30am so does anyone know if we would be able eat breakfast on the train? She has never been on a train and is so excited about eating on it. What about dinner on the return trip? We will spend the one night at the Redmont in Birmingham, attend a play at the Children's Theater and then board the train for the return trip around 2:00pm. I remember when we went to DC, we ate breakfast but we didn't arrive in DC until around 10:00am and on the way back to Atlanta, there was no dining car.
Also, does anyone know if the Peanut Depot is still near the Amtrak station in Birmingham?

This is the trail run to see how she really likes the train. If all goes well, I plan to take both of them on a longer trip in late summer.
Going south you can usually eat breakfast right after departure if it is on time. Sometime you can even eat lunch before detraining in Birmingham.

Coming back you can eat dinner. But be sure to sign up for the earliest time. Why? Because the time will suddenly jump ahead one hour for you,from Central time to Eastern time, meaning your trip is coming to a close sooner than you realize while living on Central time.

My word...I haven't thought about the Peanut Depot in years!! Not since I moved away from Birmingham fifteen years or so ago! But, according to the visitors bureau, it's still right there on Morris Avenue!!

http://www.birminghamal.org/ttd-attraction....asp?ID=0266508

There's also the McWane Science Center, just as close as the Peanut Depot:

http://www.birminghamal.org/ttd-attraction....asp?ID=0200294

And, yep...fifteen years on, Birmingham is still one of my favorite places! Hope you and your granddaughter enjoy your trip!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Don't know how I missed the Peanut Depot info on the web. I've been all over the Birmingham tourist attractions. The McWane Science Center is definitely on our list to visit. Olivia is a big-time Braves fan so roasted peanuts are a diet staple for her. I plan to surprise her with the Peanut Depot! I put the invitation to accompany me on the trip in with her birthday gift in February and she has talked non-stop about it since then.

Thanks for the info about the meals and the reminder about the time change. I had forgotten about that.

I think she will have a good time. My grandson loved the DC trip. If this one works out o.k., the three of us are off to Philadelphia later in the summer and then out west in the fall or next spring.

Watch for the Cook Springs tunnel between Anniston and Birmingham.

If you can get over to Irondale you can get some fried green tomatos at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back