Atlantic Coast Service discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver Meteor 98(25) out of MIA has 4 coaches + 2 sleepers. Car 9810 is a VL1, 9811 is a VL2 (as expected, and as on the Star.)
This is all consistent with what had been mentioned in discussions here and elsewhere a month back, as is the introduction of traditional dining in the Meteor and the end of temporary traditional dining on the Star replaced by permanent service.

Good news: it's back. 😃
Bad news: only for sleeper passengers, no coach purchase of diner meals on the Silvers yet.
According to Jim Matthews of RPA in his article in the RPA Hotline of 30th June, 2023, Larry Chestler (Amtrak VP Long Distance Service) has informed him that they intend to extend the traditional dining facility to the Coach passengers by the end of this (2023) year.

https://www.railpassengers.org/happ...er-services-latest-to-get-traditional-dining/

Last edited:
https://scrippsnews.com/stories/the...IRQA10K6y0ZejMTtpe8HHyuFs7iMg6q_OF8N3irpaYCyE
Well the airlines melt down has passengers changing their modes of transportation. Unfortunately not a good review, the lack of staff or just people who don’t care. What a miss for some good PR.
That’s a shame—I’ve encountered some odd people on a train, but never anybody as creepy as that guy. She should have tracked down a conductor right away and told him. For the protection of others as well as herself. And yes she would know to do this if she rides NJT.

I do think it’s worth the splurge for a roomette for a woman alone, although I realize there might not have been one available at short notice.

I’ve traveled for decades by myself and never felt afraid. I do try to use common sense, be aware of my surroundings, and know where the nearest help (conductor, etc.) is in case needed.

On 91 starting my trip from Baltimore to Maine. Just left the station. Consist: 3 Am2 coaches, Amcafe, VL2 diner, 2 VL sleepers and VL bag on the tail. Can't tell whether the sleepers are VL2 or VL1, as I was at the other end of the Platform. They've shoved all the WAS passengers in the first coach, but they didn't assign seats. The car is packed 100%, and there were quite a few people getting off at Baltimore.

Here's a picture of the new station construction in Baltimore, the new platform on what I suppose will be track 8.
20230712_134553.jpg

On 91 starting my trip from Baltimore to Maine. Just left the station. Consist: 3 Am2 coaches, Amcafe, VL2 diner, 2 VL sleepers and VL bag on the tail. Can't tell whether the sleepers are VL2 or VL1, as I was at the other end of the Platform. They've shoved all the WAS passengers in the first coach, but they didn't assign seats. The car is packed 100%, and there were quite a few people getting off at Baltimore.

Here's a picture of the new station construction in Baltimore, the new platform on what I suppose will be track 8.
View attachment 33098
Is this a Typo ( 91??) or are you going Down East via Florida??😄

I need a toilet in my roomette. And I always get it wrong. They say that it is only in certain cars now - even or odd number cars. Traveling from NYC to FL from PENN. Does anyone know? I want to request that car. Thank you.

I need a toilet in my roomette. And I always get it wrong. They say that it is only in certain cars now - even or odd number cars. Traveling from NYC to FL from PENN. Does anyone know? I want to request that car. Thank you.
There is no guarantee. Because I feel the same way, I currently travel in bedrooms on the Silver Star and Silver Meteor to insure I will have a private restroom.
At the present time, usually, the roomettes in the 10 cars have toilets (Viewliner 1s), but that can change.

I'm on 97(29) right now. It is holding in WAS due to mechanical issues with the replacement diesel engine. The electric loco is still attached, and conductor made announcement that diesel has not yet left service facility. I'm hearing chatter on my scanner about problems with a brake system; I suspect that's our assigned diesel. It's 7:53 and we were scheduled to leave WAS @ 7:24. They already closed all the doors except one in coach. Conductor is upset that passengers are opening doors to get out, and made announcement warning passengers not to smoke on board. I guess things are getting ugly in coach. Personally, I'd much rather wait here until they get the diesel at 100% than get stuck somewhere on the road with a brake problem.

New development: conductor had announced multiple times that cafe was closed. LSA just announced that cafe has reopened. 😄

Still stuck in WAS. I'm afraid we'll be running into dead crew issues later.

Conductor just announced that diesels have arrived. As I write, lights have just dimmed and blowers off. Conductor warned passengers not to use toilets, or "they will break." And added with resignation in her voice, "We still have to make it to Miami." 😆

In looking at the transitdocs map for my own NEC travel lately, I've often seen a backup of trains at WAS that seems to involve issues with engine swaps: trains often come in on time southbound and leave quite late, sometimes more than an hour.

Genesis replacements can't come soon enough.

Follow-up: Made it to KIS about 2¼ hours late. Not so terrible, really. We made up some time, then lost it again with a longer than usual stop in JAX.

BTW, lunchtime baked potato with vegan chili & other stuff (hold the sour cream) was excellent! Best meal on the menu, IMHO (I haven't tried the steak.)
The Steak is #1 for Meat Eaters!

I saw this on Instagram. The Silver Star apparently had one of the 1991 Dash 8 “Pepsi Can” Engines pulling it. Only one locomotive to pull an 8-car consist. I didn’t know Amtrak still used these for road hauling. Most of them have been relegated to yard and switching duties. Apparently, the post also indicated that a CSX locomotive was added to the train somewhere south of Lakeland. How can that work since CSX engines cannot supply HEP? That would have been neat to see in person!

Attachments

• IMG_1219.png
    IMG_1219.png
    7 MB · Views: 1
I saw this on Instagram. The Silver Star apparently had one of the 1991 Dash 8 “Pepsi Can” Engines pulling it. Only one locomotive to pull an 8-car consist. I didn’t know Amtrak still used these for road hauling. Most of them have been relegated to yard and switching duties. Apparently, the post also indicated that a CSX locomotive was added to the train somewhere south of Lakeland. How can that work since CSX engines cannot supply HEP? That would have been neat to see in person!
HEP was still provided by the Amtrak unit. Probably dealing with something like I-ETMS failure on the Amtrak unit.

I guess a single Dash 8 is better than cancelling a run because all of your road locos are in the shop for repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back