AU is invaluable, Thank you

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgefan

Service Attendant
Little mentions and tips that I now take for granted from all you folks, account for some serious savings to the 'ol pocketbook. One tip that I follow religiously is to revisit my travel dates closer in to my departure. I usually book far enough out that there is not the possibility of finding a reduction. My departure in a couple days was booked in July. There WAS some revenue management going on, as buckets did seem higher to me. I made sure to keep checking back closer to departure. Last weekend I found a Family Bedroom had dropped to $31.00 below what I paid for a roomette for one leg. Today, I find a roomette I'm in for a return leg had dropped almost in half on the TE (Temple, TX to Springfield, Il.) I called first thing this morning and an Amtrak agent answered right away. (I was shocked!) No problem, turn in my tickets for re-issue Monday morning in Mt. Pleasant and I will have $129.00 in additional voucher monies for assured future travel. This is a thanks to the regulars and a heads-up to the newly registered. :hi:

Glad to help out, and good looking out for lower fares!
smile.gif

And this is just another reminder to all old (forgive the reference
laugh.gif
) and new to keep checking the fares. It may have decreased since you purchased your ticket, especially if someone cancels. As shown, you may even find a family room or bedroom for a cost less than a roomette sometimes!
wink.gif

I just had a friend of ours call and the #1 thing I said, "are you firm when you have to depart and arrive?" And she said, "no". So I told her to plug in different dates etc. I learned that from one place AU! :rolleyes:

I have found the hints/tips and other info on here very valuable. Thanks to all who have helped directly or indirectly in the past.

Dan

I just had a friend of ours call and the #1 thing I said, "are you firm when you have to depart and arrive?" And she said, "no". So I told her to plug in different dates etc. I learned that from one place AU! :rolleyes:
There is a wonderful program called "Amsnag" which will plug in different dates for you.. I don't know its URL so I would just google "Amsnag"

I joined this site several years ago, while trying to find out why a family bedroom on the Empire Builder was less than a roomette, and it's been a wonderful resource.

I'm very grateful to everyone who has contributed their wisdom. Just yesterday I saved $40 on a roomette for next June thanks to AmSnag.

Little mentions and tips that I now take for granted from all you folks, account for some serious savings to the 'ol pocketbook. One tip that I follow religiously is to revisit my travel dates closer in to my departure. I usually book far enough out that there is not the possibility of finding a reduction. My departure in a couple days was booked in July. There WAS some revenue management going on, as buckets did seem higher to me. I made sure to keep checking back closer to departure. Last weekend I found a Family Bedroom had dropped to $31.00 below what I paid for a roomette for one leg. Today, I find a roomette I'm in for a return leg had dropped almost in half on the TE (Temple, TX to Springfield, Il.) I called first thing this morning and an Amtrak agent answered right away. (I was shocked!) No problem, turn in my tickets for re-issue Monday morning in Mt. Pleasant and I will have $129.00 in additional voucher monies for assured future travel. This is a thanks to the regulars and a heads-up to the newly registered. :hi:
Can the tickets (or reservations) be exchanged on line if you discovered a lower price?

Can the tickets (or reservations) be exchanged on line if you discovered a lower price?
If you haven't printed your tickets, book a new reservation at the lower price at Amtrak.com, then cancel your old reservation. The money for the old reservation will be refunded to your credit card.

If you haven't printed your tickets, book a new reservation at the lower price at Amtrak.com, then cancel your old reservation. The money for the old reservation will be refunded to your credit card.
That's why we advise never to print out your tickets until you have to (like at the station on departure day) if at all possible.
wink.gif

Absolutely. AU is a great resource for saving money and for understanding why Amtrak does some of the things they do or don't do. It also functions as a bit of a soft-sell service that keeps Amtrak on my mind and tickets in my pocket. In other words, I've noticed that my desire to ride trains grows considerably if I'm constantly reading about other folks riding trains. ^_^

...That's why we advise never to print out your tickets until you have to (like at the station on departure day) if at all possible.
wink.gif
That's just not good advice IMO. Given some of the stories related in the timetable error thread on this board (including mine), it's advisable to print your tickets AT LEAST A FEW DAYS before your trip....

Last edited by a moderator:
Given some of the stories related in the timetable error thread on this board (including mine), it's advisable to print your tickets AT LEAST A FEW DAYS before your trip...
So long as passengers check for any departure changes the day before and arrive at least an hour or so before their individual train is scheduled to depart they should be able to print their tickets at the station without worry. Printing your tickets early just means you now have lots of Amtrak cash to babysit while you wait for your trip to start. If anything should happen to those tickets you're screwed. Don't you think novices should be aware of that little detail as well?

Like many things in life, I think the "printing of the tix in advance" is best met with balance. "Not TOO FAR in advance, but NOT ON THE DAY OF ACTUAL of departure either." (for multi-train, complex trips)

I normally print my short, one-train hops just moments B4 I board the train, sometimes WAY to close for comfort.

And likewise, I normally stop by BWI-Rail Amtrak station on my way home from work, and print out LD or multi-train, complex tickets a day or so in advance, but never more than 3 or 4 days in advance.

Absolutely. AU is a great resource for saving money and for understanding why Amtrak does some of the things they do or don't do. It also functions as a bit of a soft-sell service that keeps Amtrak on my mind and tickets in my pocket. In other words, I've noticed that my desire to ride trains grows considerably if I'm constantly reading about other folks riding trains. ^_^
It's funny but I've noticed that same thing. The more I read about other people's travels the more I get the itch to ride Amtrak.

Thanks for the reminder to check prices online to compare it with the price when making reservations. I followed this advice and saved $151 on today's trip for my wife and I from DLD to BAL in a roomette. :)

I tried to change it online but I guess it was too close to the departure date (today) so I called and it was no problem. A very easy $151!

After I make my rezzy, I constantly check Amtrak.com, for better price or upgrade possibilities.up to the day of departure.In my past experience I have been able to get a better deal by doing this. I always print my tickets the day of departure,simply because I would lose my hed if it weren't attached. I start checking OTP a couple of weeks out, and call Julie the day before, the night before and the morning of. I am lucky as my usual trains have afternoon departures, and they are both LD trains, so it is easy to see if they are running on schedule. I too have learned alot of tricks and tips just by being a member to AU. So thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back