au lapel pin

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know, considering the amount of posts on this subject, maybe we should just develop a secret handshake and be done with it. :blink: Or a motto, like: "I blog passenger trains, do you?" :eek:hboy:

Ya know, considering the amount of posts on this subject, maybe we should just develop a secret handshake and be done with it. :blink: Or a motto, like: "I blog passenger trains, do you?" :eek:hboy:
Nahhhhhhh, then you'd have to actually speak to and touch someone................
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I think some of us have "that look" and do not need a secret handshake for other identification. Piotr identified me as an AU member at WAS Union Station last year prior to the gathering without any special identification.

I think some of us have "that look" and do not need a secret handshake for other identification. Piotr identified me as an AU member at WAS Union Station last year prior to the gathering without any special identification.
Don't Forget the FEZ!

Aloha

I really didn't mean to pick on you, Jim. I think you are one of the good guys and kind to everyone. I think most people who are a regular here do like trains and hope their existence continues, despite where they may fall on the political spectrum.

But I do have a serious question, relates to history and expressions. What is the difference between a "yellow dog" democrat and a "blue dog" democrat? As others have said, you learn something new here everyday.
Ill PM you, enough Political rant for the day! (BTW-I spent 20+years in WAS and AUS, majored in Govt in school so Politics was my Life! And to paraphrase Willie Nelson, its my life but it ain't no good life! :excl: :excl: :excl: )

Just a couple more thoughts. First since it is about passenger rail, how about a silohete(spelling?) of a favorite dome car. Determined by survey. Second since most of us tend to be better than average tippers, this pin may be noticed by on board staff, in a good way. Or maybe not.

Despite Dave's reaction I think it's a neat idea to have a small "AU" insignia of some sort. As I understand it there are sites that will put a logo on almost anything with no up-front cost to the creator. Might be something to look at. Could help build the site up even further.
I agree completely. You just need a small something that we all recognize and AU is just fine. It is appropriate in more than one way and it beats trying to ask someone when you are not sure.

Though, I would the odds of two or more of us just happening to be on same train would be pretty low.
Actually as people have been finding out, the odds while low, are better than one might actually expect. There have been several reports of members accidentally bumping into one another on a train.

And if you really want to up your odds, attend a Gathering. I can guarantee you that you'll find more than 30 members on the same train in October.

Why not just put a paperclip on your lapel, like the Norwegian Resistance did in WWII?
tongue.gif
But what if the LSA is a Train ****??? :help:

OK folks guess the filtered word :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Though, I would the odds of two or more of us just happening to be on same train would be pretty low.
Actually as people have been finding out, the odds while low, are better than one might actually expect. There have been several reports of members accidentally bumping into one another on a train.
I personally can vouch for that!
blink.gif

I was on the EB AND the Cardinal for 4 days and 3 nights with fellow AU member Access Bob before I "met" him - by my brother-in-law!
rolleyes.gif
I even ate 3 meals with him on the Cardinal with him before we "met".
wacko.gif
The only reason my BIL brought it up was that Access Bob was listening to his scanner during a delay - and when I walked by, my BIL said to me "You may know this guy"!
tongue.gif

I second guest_Fred's suggestion ... no letters ... just the train ... we would know what it means ...

Obviously too much alcohol. Although Amtrak trains seem to bounce around a lot on bad tracks, you have to be imbibing to constantly "bump into one another". Should we have pins that say AA instead of AU? :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I've met a member on the rails too. It didn't take long in talking to him for me to ask him if he knew about AU, because he was so well informed about Amtrak! :D

Just checked with a local shop that makes promotional items.He quoted me a price of $2-3 each for a plastic hat/ lapel pin with any emblem of our choosing. This is for quantity of say 100 -200. Add to that a cost for mailing to individuals of say $1 plus a small fee for au makes a cost of say $5. This is one random pick price, just for comparison and discusion. Too high?c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back