autotrain or crescent?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sutton8596

Service Attendant
if you had to pick one (which I will likely have to do), for scenery, would you go with the Crescent or one of the Atlantic coast trains (NY to Florida)?

As far as the train itself is concerned, which is nicer? In terms of lounge car, crew friendliness, etc?

Thanks much,

Scott

I'm sure you know that the Auto Train and Crescent are two completely different services, and aren't easily substituted. With the former, you have to be traveling with an automobile in order to ride. With the latter, you can't be traveling with an automobile.

That said, the Silver Service/Palmetto travels basically the same route as the Auto Train, more or less, with slight deviations depending on the specific train.

Scott,

As Rmadisowi pointed out, the Autotrain is really a different animal from the rest of Amtrak's services. A car is an absolute must for the Autotrain, no passengers are accepted unless they have an auto.

That said, when it comes to crew consistancy, the Auto Train wins hands down. I'm not suggesting that you can't find other trains with good crews or at least a good crew member or two, but the Auto Train without a doubt has the cream of the crop.

As for scenery only the Auto Train provides bi-level trains, which does add to your ability to see things. However, most times the AT does not run with Sightseer Lounges, but instead with specially built lounges that don't have the nice huge windows of a Sightseer Lounge.

Beyond that, I'm not real sure that any Silver Service train or the AT is all that much more scenic than the Crescent. Mind you, I've only taken the Crescent as far south as Atlanta. But neither route offers scenic mountains, both are rather flat, nor do they offer wonderful views of the ocean.

You'll see lots of lakes, rivers, trees, along with some junk yards. If pressed, I guess that I'd say that something along the Atlantic Coast would be slightly more scenic, but it's not overwhelmingly more scenic.

The auto trains scenery is going to be very bland. Most of the run is at night, so you probably wont be able to see very much. The only places you will see are the Lorton area and northern Fl.

If you plan on taking Amtrak's Silver Service (Silver Meteor/Silver Star/Palmetto) to Florida from the Northeast, then the equipment is no different than that used on the Crescent. The consists are typically made up of Viewliner Sleepers, Heritage Diner, and Amfleet II Lounge and Coaches. The Auto Train, however, uses newer Superliner II equipment. Putting that aside, you will not see much in the way of scenery on the Auto Train, except for a couple hours on each end of the trip. Scenery between the two trips will not be all that diffferent. Northern Virginia is the most scenic, while the ride through the south can be kind of dull.

Key word, it CAN be dull. The first time I went north of Deland the Conductor I was with pointed out all the little things in the route you wouldn't see otherwise. The ROW is rich with history, just most of it isn't obvious.

Yeah alot of the stuff next to the tracks are part of major fl agriculture industries that most Floridians do not know exist. Plus the Row it self date back to the days of the ACL champion. Most of the originol track is gone, although in some places you can still find it abandoned due to ctc instalation.

AlanB said:
Beyond that, I'm not real sure that any Silver Service train or the AT is all that much more scenic than the Crescent.  Mind you, I've only taken the Crescent as far south as Atlanta.  But neither route offers scenic mountains, both are rather flat, nor do they offer wonderful views of the ocean.
You'll see lots of lakes, rivers, trees, along with some junk yards.  If pressed, I guess that I'd say that something along the Atlantic Coast would be slightly more scenic, but it's not overwhelmingly more scenic.
I beg to differ with you on this commentary. The Crescent offers far superior scenery over the Silver Service. The Crescent passes through the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia and, while not as dramatic as the Rockies, they are nonetheless spectacular viewing. One must time the trip properly of course to benefit from the scenery on that stretch of the line.

Conversely, if you've seen one scrub pine forest, tarpaper shack and paper mill you' ve pretty much seen everything the Silver Service has to offer , scenery-wise. At least until you get into central or southern Florida...

thanks all, for your comments. Railman, I'd like to see the Blue Ridge Mountains; perhaps I'll opt for the Crescent. No, I don't have a car, so I would likely take the Silver Service if taking the Atlantic route. Ah, so many places to go during a month railpass. I'm considering the following, for anyone interested:

1. New York to Toronto

2. The Canadian to Vancouver

3. Coast Starlight to LA

4. Sunset Limited to Orlando

5. whatever to Washington DC.

6. Decision time: crescent or three rivers

I'll have to decide on some routes at that time. I'd like to get the Southwest Chief in. But I have to wind up in Omaha, and don't know if I'll get sick of the train. I do plan to stop in Seattle, Vancouver, San Francisco, San Diego, New Orleans, Orlando, Wash. DC.

I'll let y'all know!

Scott

You'll be much better off taking the SW Chief once you get to LA, instead of the Sunset to Orlando. In case you haven't noticed, the Sunset hasn't been on time for a few months, due to a variety of factors, and in numerous cases has been over 12 to 18 hours late. Once you take the Coast Starlight, I would advise taking the Chief from LA to Chicago, and then the Capitol from Chicago to D. C.

If you really want to go to nol you can take the cheif to chi, then the city of new orleans. Finally take the crescent to dc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back