Baggage Search

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How often does baggage search happen? Traveling early October to St Paul with asthma related electrical equipment and solutions both equalizing the size of a good 35mm camera. Would I encounted problems as on airlines?

Baggage searches are very infrequent, especially off of the NEC. Even when they do happen, as long as things are clearly marked and can't be mistaken for a bomb, you are unlikely to encounter a problem.

I've traveled with a nebulizer and had my suitcase searched on returning to the United States, but that was not on a train. As long as you're not crossing a border, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never had my bags searched or seen any bag searches happen on Amtrak.

Baggage searches can happen at any time on the train. By the same token, the Police can search your car at anytime. In my 35 years of driving or more than that taking Amtrak, I have not had either occur!

Baggage searches can happen at any time on the train. By the same token, the Police can search your car at anytime. In my 35 years of driving or more than that taking Amtrak, I have not had either occur!
Only time Ive ever had baggage checked on trains was crossing the Canadian/US border on the Maple Leaf and the Adirondack! As most know, @ Airports its pretty much every time now a days and sometimes more than once!It does seem that Homeland Insecurity ("Purple Alert Day!") is boarding more and more trains but I have not had them search my bags ,as the traveler has said. Perhaps he's the only suspicious character in sleepers! :lol:

I've seen NYPD inisde of New York Penn Station bring over a table, and some stuff near the gate of a boarding train. I've never seen them select a bag to be searched, but I guess they prepare for it and can if they feel so inclined.

You shouldm't have any problems.

Only time Ive ever had baggage checked on trains was crossing the Canadian/US border on the Maple Leaf and the Adirondack! As most know, @ Airports its pretty much every time now a days and sometimes more than once!It does seem that Homeland Insecurity ("Purple Alert Day!") is boarding more and more trains but I have not had them search my bags ,as the traveler has said. Perhaps he's the only suspicious character in sleepers! :lol:
At US airports I have not had my baggage searched by TSA, beyond the passing it through X-Ray for more than a couple of years now. Entering US I have not had my baggage searched by Customs in 10 years now, and I do cross into US at least half a dozen times each year. They must have a dossier so thick on me that they are quite sick and tired of checking me out 8-}.

OTOH every passenger's hand baggage was hand searched at least once, maybe twice too before one can board a plane in India last December when I was there.

I've seen NYPD inisde of New York Penn Station bring over a table, and some stuff near the gate of a boarding train. I've never seen them select a bag to be searched, but I guess they prepare for it and can if they feel so inclined.

You shouldm't have any problems.
based on what Ive seen of NYPDs finest around NYP probably was used to eat lunch and take a nap,much more comfortable than to sleep leaning against the walls! :lol:

When I rode the Empire Builder this past June, the Border Patrol had a dog sniff baggage during the stop in Havre, and arrested a fellow for running drugs. I was off the train getting some fresh air, and so wasn't watching, so I don't know how far afield the dog went, whether it was just in the baggage car or if it also went through the baggage storage areas in the coaches and sleepers. (I DID see the arrested fellow sitting on a bench surrounded by uniformed Border Patrol officers and, later, Havre PD officers, though.)

Here is an article from the Havre Daily News about the arrest.

But that was just a dog sniffing baggage, and only the suspected suitcase was opened. So, unless your bag smells like drugs, you will be okay.

On the Amtrak level?

I've never even seen NYPD on the Amtrak concourse. Amtrak patrols that themselves with the assistance of the National Guard. To my knowledge NYPD is not even allowed on that level in an official capacity, short of an emergency situation.

when i was on the SWC in may of last year during a layover at ABQ some plane cloths officers were questioning a pax and searching his luggage while he sat in his seat on the train.

On the Amtrak level?

I've never even seen NYPD on the Amtrak concourse. Amtrak patrols that themselves with the assistance of the National Guard. To my knowledge NYPD is not even allowed on that level in an official capacity, short of an emergency situation.
hmm maybe they are Amtrak PD never looked at the badge, or shoulder patch. I guess they are Amtrak PD although the 2 times ive noticed the table set up was for the Ethan Allen Express, and an Empire Service train both were boarded from track 5/6 so they had the space behind them to be there. I don't think it would work as well at the gates for Track 7.

when i was on the SWC in may of last year during a layover at ABQ some plane cloths officers were questioning a pax and searching his luggage while he sat in his seat on the train.
Although I didn't see it, when I rode on the TE/SL last month, I heard about the Police searching one guy's bags on our train because he was caught smoking some of the "funny stuff" :wacko: - and he was even provided a ride courtesy of the Tucson PD!

when i was on the SWC in may of last year during a layover at ABQ some plane cloths officers were questioning a pax (me) and searching his (mine) luggage while he (me) sat in his seat on the train.
no, no, no, Wolverine, the question was about "other peoples" baggage being searched, not your own personal experience............. btw, what WAS in "your" baggage? C'mon, ADMIT! :eek:

hey when i was the swc they searched my luggage and found some medical marijuana

OMG you don't say rrdude. what happened did you get arrested or did you show them a dr.s note.

2 can play this game rrdude.

Albuquerque is notorious for this. You can read about it here:

http://www.reason.com/news/show/34244.html

Basically, Amtrak sells personal info on Passengers to the Feds, for a cut of the take when "dubious" cash is seized without any legal charges or trial (let alone conviction)... just simple seizure because the Feds don't think you should have it.

Per the Article cited, "In exchange for access to its booking system, the skilled negotiators at Amtrak's New Mexico operation negotiated a 10 percent cut of any money seized."

Last time I passed through there, the dogs didn't like the smell of somebody's luggage downstairs. The Drug Police came upstairs and started asking me lots of nosy questions. I convinced them I really was going all the way to Chicago just to ride the El. (Looking puzzled the whole while, like this should be perfectly obvious to anybody, and why ELSE would anyone go to Chicago... unless maybe to eat Pizza?)

They lost interest in me as soon as they found another passenger with darker skin and more scruffy-looking hair... one who began panicking at their approach (for whatever reason). They hauled him off the train and we never saw him again.

I convinced them I really was going all the way to Chicago just to ride the El. (Looking puzzled the whole while, like this should be perfectly obvious to anybody, and why ELSE would anyone go to Chicago... unless maybe to eat Pizza?)
It may take some time, but eventually we Amtrak Umlimited folk will convince the rest of the entire country that these really are the two best reasons to visit Chicago :)

I convinced them I really was going all the way to Chicago just to ride the El. (Looking puzzled the whole while, like this should be perfectly obvious to anybody, and why ELSE would anyone go to Chicago... unless maybe to eat Pizza?)
It may take some time, but eventually we Amtrak Umlimited folk will convince the rest of the entire country that these really are the two best reasons to visit Chicago :)
Well it certainly cant be for a Cubs,Sox,Bulls or Da Bears game and definitely not for the balmy winter weather! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back