Baggage security

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George K

I know, I'm paranoid.

For my upcoming trip next week, I plan to bring a briefcase as a carry-on. That will have my overnight clothing and toiletries in it. I will also bring a suitcase that I intend to stow in the luggage area. How paranoid do I have to be about the things in the suitcase? Anything valuable (phone, ipad,camera) will be in my briefcase or on my person.

Would a simple padlock be enough?

What does everyone do about the valuables when they are not in their roomette? Does that will not lock from the outside?

I've only taken one trip on a Superliner (the trains with the separate luggage area on the lower level), and I didn't store any luggage there. I take my phone, small camera, wallet, and such in my purse with me when I leave the sleeper, and just close the curtains and door, leaving my luggage in the sleeper compartment. I've never had anything stolen or bothered. My advice would be to not leave any tempting items in plain view, and take your small valuables with you. You can use a luggage lock, which would discourage a thief, if you are still worried. You are correct that sleeper compartments can't be locked from the outside, but from what I know, theft rarely happens on Amtrak. I never travel with any irreplaceable items, except my wedding ring which stays on my finger. I suppose strange things can happen, but chances are your things will be safe.

Best wishes for a pleasant trip~

I have never had a problem with leaving luggage in the luggage rack. I do use a combination luggage lock and I don't stow valuables in that area. As far as the room, the carry-on in the roomette or bedroom also has a luggage lock and anything of value (i.e. laptop) goes in it while we're out of the room. Nothing of value is left in plain site. Close the curtain and sliding glass door and you'll be fine. I have never had a problem. The sleepers have "restricted access" and an alert SCA will watch out for unauthorized persons loitering in the car.

Having said that, I would keep expensive jewelry, cash, credit cards etc. on my person.

I put a pillow on top of the laptop, Kindle, and charging cords when we go to the diner. Then I close the curtain and door, which makes it hard to tell if someone is in the room or not. I used to put things in the closet, but I've found the pillow/curtain/door method to be sufficient.

I put my phone in my purse and bring my purse to the diner. My boyfriend keeps his phone in his pocket. We don't bring a separate camera.

We keep our luggage downstairs. We've never had anything stolen (our luggage just has clothes in it at that point, as we put toiletries in the small overnight bag we use in the roomette).

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like the best approach is common sense.

1) Lock your suitcase.

2) Keep valuables hidden and/or with you (the only things I'll have are an iPad and phone.

3) Close curtains.

I never lock a bag that I carry aboard the train, even if I put it in the luggage rack downstairs.

For checked luggage, this year I did use a lock, only because I flew one direction on the trip. The past few years when it was rail travel only, I just wanted to minimize any zipper creep for the checked suitcase, so just wrapped the endpoints in twist-ties.

I never lock a bag that I carry aboard the train, even if I put it in the luggage rack downstairs.
Good point, now that I think about is. I mean, what's going to be in that suitcase anyway? Some clothing, toiletries and my stash of BYOA (Glenfarclas, Balvenie and Suntoray Yamazake). If they want my Wal-Mart shirt and my Hanes undies....well, help yourself, man!

On the #11 (8/26) a woman in coach was put off the train for stealing cloths from other passengers luggage. She changed into the pilfered cloths in the restroom. Twice when confronted by passengers who's cloths she was wearing she denied it and then went to change again. She tried to flush the incriminating garments down the toilet. She got on without any carry on. She tried to get off with a bag. The tag on the bag had a man's name on it. She claimed it was her husband's who was traveling with her. She was traveling alone. A master thief she was not. I will be putting a small lock padlock on my carry on in the future.

We took the train outbound and flew back from our vacation this summer. I put the locks on the luggage on the train more or less to deter the "zipper creep"

However, when flying I don't even bother to lock them as the TSA-approved luggage locks tend to get cut off when the TSA wants to open your bag. They don't seem to bother using their master key. I have used zip ties as well. Hint: on your return trips, always pack your dirtiest, smelliest clothes and undies on top. Might prevent them from digging deeper. I think these TSA baggage dragons still have noses, don't they? :giggle:

I've always used basic locks, even when flying. Just keeps the casual peepers out. If people really want to get into your luggage, they'll have tools against which no lock can protect.

My personal thought is if someone was intent on stealing a bag, and 2 bags are side by side which had one with a padlock and the other doesn't, which do I decide to take? :huh: Which one has dirty underware and which one contains thousands of dollars or other important stuff? :huh: I doubt someone would padlock dirty clothes. JMO.

The woman who was put off #11 seems to represent a pretty singular situation. In all my years in onboard service, I never encountered anything quite like that. I believe theft aboard a train is extremely rare, especially on the long distance routes. But it does illustrate the point that it's possible for these things can happen ho matter where you are, so ordinary prudence is the best approach.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back