Beech Grove Update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And personally I would carry a copy of the Amtrak press release that talks about the annual Amtrak photo contest and show that to the employee and ask them to explain how you can possibly enter that contest if you can't take pictures? Much less why would Amtrak have a policy that prohibits pictures when they are running such a contest?
Excellent idea! Where can I find this press release? I'd never heard of this contest before just now.
On the Amtrak website under Press Releases, or by clicking here for the most recent one.

I think I have taken a picture of most of the stations acrossed the country and down the California coast. Maybe I was lucky in that no one seemed to object, in fact they seemed to encourage it.

At one point railroad employees asked if my wife and I would like our picture taken in front of the engine. That was not Amtrak however, it was a real railroad.

If you are on company property they can tell you not to take pictures and its understandable that some people will not want to be photographed. Any movie star will tell you though that if you are in a public place you can take any picture you want whether people like it or not.

I hate papparazi but I like taking pictures.

Honestly, I think the NEC issues depend heavily on where you are. The boys out of Boston could almost absolutely care less (as long as you're still in a public area). Two weeks ago a Boston based engineer actually asked if I wanted a picture of me with an AEM-7 before they left the station. Meanwhile at the beginning of the month an Amtrak cop in DC tells me I can't take pictures while I'm waiting to board a northbound MARC train. I think the root of the problem is Washington (like everything else in life). Back in 05 former AU member Amfleet (I'm sure Alan and a few others remember him) and I were riding the Star from NYP-MIA. During the engine change in WAS he and I walked to the front (near the escalators) to take some pictures. We get back on the train and our attendant Preston (who I'd known for about four years at that point) told me that they had to ward off the Amtrak cops from us, and did so by explaining that I was one of their regulars. The entire city of Washington is just antsy about anything involving trains, since so many run underground and near major landmarks, like the Capitol. Now I'm in now way defending them, since I think it's rediculous to tell people in public areas not to take pictures. If we're not supposed to be able to see something put up a fence or a wall. If I can see it, I should be able to take a picture of it and not be acosted about it.

I think the root of the problem is Washington (like everything else in life). Back in 05 former AU member Amfleet (I'm sure Alan and a few others remember him) and I were riding the Star from NYP-MIA. During the engine change in WAS he and I walked to the front (near the escalators) to take some pictures. We get back on the train and our attendant Preston (who I'd known for about four years at that point) told me that they had to ward off the Amtrak cops from us, and did so by explaining that I was one of their regulars. The entire city of Washington is just antsy about anything involving trains, since so many run underground and near major landmarks, like the Capitol.
That city is antsy about cameras and purses and brown paper bags, too. And people in sunglasses who don't work for the Secret Service. Oh, and Whooz--definitely anyone wearing a fez, so be careful! :) You're right, the trains do go near many important places, but I don't think that's the limit of Washington's paranoia.

Could be worse... could be like London, where they removed all the public trash cans from the sidewalks and subway stations so they couldn't be used as bomb drops. Had to walk around for hours looking for somewhere to throw away your trash sometimes.... (Maybe locals knew where to throw out their trash; as a tourist, I sure didn't.) This was in the '80s, when the IRA was randomly bombing public places; times may have changed enough that public trash cans are back now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be worse... could be like London, where they removed all the public trash cans from the sidewalks and subway stations so they couldn't be used as bomb drops. Had to walk around for hours looking for somewhere to throw away your trash sometimes.... (Maybe locals knew where to throw out their trash; as a tourist, I sure didn't.) This was in the '80s, when the IRA was randomly bombing public places; times may have changed enough that public trash cans are back now?
Actually a few of our train stations have taken out garbage cans too. We just have a wire frame that now holds up a large see through plastic bag for trash.

Meh, if you don't have some kind of trash receptacle at close intervals, you greatly increase your litter problem.

Actually a few of our train stations have taken out garbage cans too. We just have a wire frame that now holds up a large see through plastic bag for trash.

Meh, if you don't have some kind of trash receptacle at close intervals, you greatly increase your litter problem.

yea but even clear plastic bags and mesh are better then no cans at all

Back on track with Beech Grove. . .

I stopped by twice in the past three weeks, once with a friend who'd never seen the place. He commented that the "1910" building was in far better shape than many 10-year-old warehouses he deals with.

On the South side, Coach 34036 had about 1/4 on one side torn OFF. Seats exposed and all. Anyone know what wreck this was from?

Two of the little switchers were visible, in phase 4 paint AND four digit numbers.

Diners 8554 & 8511 we nearby.

On the North side, far away from any access, there's a Superliner car that has been torn to ragged pieces. DOn't know the type, or if the damage was scrapper or wreck induced.

thye number of cars in the employee lot is noticeably smaller, but the place is still obviously "open for business?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back