Before it was a PPC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be very surprised if it was not a photo. If you look at these old ads from the late 40's though the 50's they all have this quality of posing and perfection of equipment. Could it be that is what is lost in todays Amtrak? No one has mentioned that this is the lounge for Budget Minded Coach Passengers. I recall the wonderful Santa Fe trains sitting in the yards in Kansas City in the early 60's, what a wonderful sight we had when our Missouri Pacific trains were passing slowly those glorious interiors. It was a totally different mindset and traveling public than today I guess.

Painting or photo they could have done a little better on the upper background and lower left corner.

Painting or photo they could have done a little better on the upper background and lower left corner.
And those things you mention prove to me it is a photo. A painting wouldn't have probably had them as the photo does.

I actually like the layout!
I think the layout is the original AT&SF, but with the furniture reupholstered early Amtrak's "Retinal Damage" scheme.
and whats with the grey ductape thing on the floor that's pulled up. that interior looks like something from the 70's just missing the shag carpet and disco ball.

You talk like the '70's, shag carpeting, and disco balls are all bad things! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was digging around a little while ago and came upon this old forum post on former ATSF high level cars. About half way down there's a picture of one of the high level lounges which ended up in Madison IL at what was Illinois Transit. Does anyone know what ever happened to these cars, are they still there, and are they in any sort of decent condition? I seem to recall that Illinois Transit went out of business and was taken over by some other company, but don't know the specifics. Would love to know more.
http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/lofiversio...php/t27567.html
I was surprised to notice that the first picture in this post shows a Dining Car with trucks that had 6 wheels. Did all the high-levels originally have 6-wheels to a truck?

I was digging around a little while ago and came upon this old forum post on former ATSF high level cars. About half way down there's a picture of one of the high level lounges which ended up in Madison IL at what was Illinois Transit. Does anyone know what ever happened to these cars, are they still there, and are they in any sort of decent condition? I seem to recall that Illinois Transit went out of business and was taken over by some other company, but don't know the specifics. Would love to know more.
I was surprised to notice that the first picture in this post shows a Dining Car with trucks that had 6 wheels. Did all the high-levels originally have 6-wheels to a truck?
Only the Hi Level Diners had 6 wheels as they were the heaviest of that series weighing in at 97 tons. They used the same 6 wheel trucks ATSF used on the Big Domes.

No, only the dining cars were 6 wheelers.

:cool:

I collect old rail related post cards. Came across this one in a store yesterday.
Is this what the PPC was before it became a PPC?
Aloha

I dont think so my picture of the PPC has 4 windows on lower level. Somehow I doubt that would be a mod. Unless each of the 5 left have those differences.

Just checked a shot from the LA Gathering, that PPC has 4 lower windows. So, could be.

Eric
Yesterday, on the CS 14 passing through Burbank the last car looked just like this. I only got a glimpse, but thought it said dining car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like the layout!
I think the layout is the original AT&SF, but with the furniture reupholstered early Amtrak's "Retinal Damage" scheme.
and whats with the grey ductape thing on the floor that's pulled up. that interior looks like something from the 70's just missing the shag carpet and disco ball.

You talk like the '70's, shag carpeting, and disco balls are all bad things! :lol: :lol: :lol:
All that's missing is a couple of white guys with Afros. :D :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back