Being Big On A Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The booths in the diner cannot be adjusted. If she is concerned about her size, she can ask her SCA if she can have meals delivered to her room. For what it's worth (and you can share this with your friend), I could sit in the diner just fine when I weighed 300 pounds (I'm 5'6"). I carry most of my weight in my lower body. It was pretty tight when I was 315+, though.

Nobody ever brought up my size while on the train, and there have always been people bigger than me, even when I weighed over 350 pounds. Amtrak is nothing like the airlines.

If she's on a Viewliner, she will have a toilet and sink in her room. :)

If you have sleeper accommodations traveling to NYP, then yes, you can wait in the lounge, even if your connection is Coach. We do this all the time in Chicago. We have a sleeper on the Southwest Chief and then regular Coach class on the Wolverine.

Knew it'd be a good idea starting this thread. I'm sure others have concerns like I do, so hopefully this helps everyone out.

Thanks for all the answers again, I appreciate it. The links have been very helpful as well. Still can't seem to figure out the bed size in the Superliner Bedroom though. Is it like a Full Size bed?

Damn, they just seem so much bigger in photos, but, I guess that's why you always read. Thanks.

The booths in the diner cannot be adjusted. If she is concerned about her size, she can ask her SCA if she can have meals delivered to her room. For what it's worth (and you can share this with your friend), I could sit in the diner just fine when I weighed 300 pounds (I'm 5'6"). I carry most of my weight in my lower body. It was pretty tight when I was 315+, though.
Nobody ever brought up my size while on the train, and there have always been people bigger than me, even when I weighed over 350 pounds. Amtrak is nothing like the airlines.

If she's on a Viewliner, she will have a toilet and sink in her room. :)

If you have sleeper accommodations traveling to NYP, then yes, you can wait in the lounge, even if your connection is Coach. We do this all the time in Chicago. We have a sleeper on the Southwest Chief and then regular Coach class on the Wolverine.
Thanks for all that great info, Sorcha!

It's too bad it doesn't apply to accomodation charges, since in a sleeper those are almost always considerably more that the rail portion of the fare.
Don't worry about the AAA card onboard, as I said, I've never once been asked for it in hundreds of thousands of Amtrak miles.
I have been asked a couple of times, and only then after the eLift system was put into place. I think possibly if your name pops up with "Check ID" along with AAA, they will ask. I have also seen those who do not have proof with them be required to pay the difference to the conductor. The conditions on the web page do state that you must travel with the AAA card and provide it to the conductor upon request.

Well that is good to know. I guess I will email Amtrak to see if I can use a photocopy.

That said, my wife and I still share it when we're on the train.
I always do a *blink* when you say that. My boyfriend and I have issues sharing a full-size bed. We can do it, but only for a couple nights. We'd kill each other if we had to share a twin. :p It's not so much our builds (he's thin) as the fact he rolls and punches in his sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the response I got from Amtrak regarding a photocopy of the AAA card.

AAA discounts are available for immediate family of the card holder; husband, wife and children under the age of 15. To receive the discount, you must be a member or immediate family member, and carry a membership card.
Kind of messes things up if you're getting a ticket as a gift or emergency because you wouldn't be able to use it.

Have you compared the price of your trip using a rail pass. I know the upgade to the sleeper would still be required, but it might be less expensive to use two rail passes.

The rail pass would be cheaper if I wasn't using rooms, but will cost more for the last train that I won't use a room with.

OK, just figured I would put it out there. The rail pass if you use a 15 day, is only 439 and then the sleeper upgrade on that rather than whatever the coach cost would be and then the sleeper upgrade on that. It saves me everytime I go from the east coast to the west coast and back.

I'll have to double check to make sure, but I don't think it did. Could be doing it wrong though.

Bedrooms are only for two folks? After staying in a roomette, I was sure that they were for 3 adults. Way more room to move around, more sitting room and the lower berth looked like 2 could fit in it w/ one in the upper berth. Drat, there goes that plan.

How many AGR points are needed for a family bedroom or is that not available via AGR points?

Dan

Family room goes for the same amounts as Bedrooms.
Okay. But I am correct in understanding that there are no sleeping accommodations for three adults in one room, right?
Not really. Amtrak will allow 3 adults in a Bedroom, not a roomette, but you cannot book it online. You must call/visit with an agent to make such a reservation so that they agent can warn you that Amtrak will allow such a booking, but does not recommend such a booking. Two people will have to share the lower bed.

Thanks Alan. I realize the bottom berth isn't huge but the room looks bigger to me for 3 people than two roomettes.

Thanks Alan. I realize the bottom berth isn't huge but the room looks bigger to me for 3 people than two roomettes.
For daytime use, you'd have more room for 3 people. Heck you could fit 5 without too much of an issue. But at night for sleeper, 2 Roomettes would be better.

Cooley,

I'm not large, so I couldn't help you there, but you got lot of good info from others.

I would suggest you to look at the menus online and you can get an ideal if you think you can handel the food or not.. The meal that you think you can handel, I'd suggest to try the dinning car experince! Find your train, and click on that, and you'll see the menu listings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back