Being Big On A Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, the stool is very strong, and you can grab on to rail on the side of the door to help get in if needed.

I traveled thru a blizzard on the Lake Shore Limited thru Buffalo, NY which caused the car attendant to have to keep shoveling out the connections between the cars. You could not see out the windows because of the snow, but we kept going.
When I was on the Lake Shore a couple Winters ago the snow was piled fast and high in the Amfleet vestibules and no sooner than it was cleared at a station stop, it piled right back in.. There was enough we could have had a great snowball fight-Sleepers vs. Coaches?

I assume no one has had problems with the little step stools to get on the train? I guess that's the only thing left that has me paranoid a bit.
No the stepstools are super solid and actually help you get on and off! If you don't have mobility problems it will work out for you no matter what your weight is. If you do have mobility problems an amrak employee will help you. The stepstools are sturdy!
Good to know. I figured that we'd probably be on the raised platforms, but wasn't entirely sure.

There are not raised platforms on CHI. You will use the little step stool to get on the superliners. I did fall and twist my ankle in Glasgow last year getting off the train so be careful.

Thanks for the clarification Amamba.

Duh, on my part. I was on Superliners so I was getting on & off at low-level platforms.

Cooley, you'll be riding the Superliners between WAS & CHi and CHi & LA. The doors are lower on these trains. But I can't remember if step stools were still used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification Amamba.Duh, on my part. I was on Superliners so I was getting on & off at low-level platforms.

Cooley, you'll be riding the Superliners between WAS & CHi and CHi & LA. The doors are lower on these trains. But I can't remember if step stools were still used.
Yup, Superliners cannot use high level plaforms at all. One would literally have to jump down 3 feet into the doorway in order to board the car if they tried.

As for the stools, it depends on where one is. Some stations have low level platforms that are basically no more than an inch above ground level. These platforms require the stools as the step is bigger to/from the car. Other stations have platforms that are around 6 inches or so IIRC above ground level. The stools aren't required for this higher platfrom.

What about security with trains? Should I get to the train station a certain amount of time early for searches and stuff (I assume they are like airports?)?

What about security with trains? Should I get to the train station a certain amount of time early for searches and stuff (I assume they are like airports?)?
Nope, there should not be airport style security. I like to arrive 10-15 minutes before boarding in my little station of PVD but I prefer to arrive 30-45i tues prior to boarding in big stations like BOS, NYP, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for station info on Amtrak.com. It will tell you the latest you should be at the station. It will usually show 2 "times" as you need to be a bit earlier if you're checking luggage.

No airport style security, although there can be random bag checks. If you are checking bags, they have to be checked 30 minutes before, and that means in Amtrak's hands, not standing in the line. If you are going from a big station, allow sufficient time to navigate the station and be aware that some stations, such as Chicago, close the gates 5 minutes before departure. If you are going from a small station and don't have baggage to check, just make sure you are there before the train is.

I only plan on bringing a total of four bags total between the two of us. Two will be luggage, one a laptop and the other a cooler.

Do I need a specific or special kind of power strip to work in the sleeper rooms? I assume a standard power strip would work fine, but just wanted to double check.

Is there an average amount of feet you all suggest? Most are 6'. I assume that'd be plenty enough. The rooms are 10' or so aren't they?

Is there an average amount of feet you all suggest? Most are 6'. I assume that'd be plenty enough. The rooms are 10' or so aren't they?
You've set yourself up with that question. I'll be the first to give it to you. The average # of feet is 2 - left and right. Sorry. :D

Can someone break down the whole baggage deal for me. It's one of the things confusing me so far.

Looks like they want smaller handbag style as "carry on" versus typical suitcase carry on. Is this right? Or does that change being I have two sleeper cars? If so, what about when I get in California and will be in coach? Do I have to check those bags in there?

You're going all the way to Sandy Eggo, right?

You can check your bags all the way to the end of your journey. You should carry on a bag or bags with enough clothes for the trip, and anything else you're going to want with you on the train.

I wouldn't consider a bag that is 28 x 22 x 14 a handbag. :eek: That may even be larger than what most airlines allow as a carryon. And you're allowed two bags of that size as carryons. More than that you would have to check, although as long as both your start & end points have checked baggage, you might well wish to consider checking 1 bag if indeed you are going to bring two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back