Being Big On A Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The plan is to keep everything in the rooms. I don't see us bringing four total bags. I would say if anything there's going to be three of them, plus a laptop bag and cooler. However I easily could probably put the laptop in with one of the carry on bags.

I think we'll be fine with carry on, but my question is when we hit the train to take us from Sacramento to Fresno. We won't have a sleeper car and I'm confused on whether they will require us to check them, or if we just can put them on those luggage racks?

I guess the better question would be, what suitcases do you all use who sleep in roomettes and bedrooms?

Cooley,

If you had 4 suitcase, then perhaps you might get in trouble with the cooler for the coach ride, although most likely not. But if you only have 3 suitcase & the cooler, that's your allotted 4 bags. You should have no trouble putting that in the luggage racks above your seat. Or maybe you could even squeeze the cooler on the floor between the two seats and your legs.

I will say that even with a Bedroom, and I think that I recall you had a Bedroom as opposed to a roomette, you may find that all that luggage is a bit much in the room. I would seriously consider putting at least 1, if not 2, suitcases in the downstairs luggage rack and only bringing the cooler & 1 suitcase up to the room. There is only 1 small shelf that could hold an overnight bag or small laptop case. All the rest must go on the floor of the Superliner Bedroom. During the day, that's a bit of an inconvenience. At night with the beds down, the ladder put up, there is very limited floor space. And if you need to open the bathroom door at night with all that, plus all your luggage; good luck! :eek:

I guess the better question would be, what suitcases do you all use who sleep in roomettes and bedrooms?
As I just noted while you were posting, you probably don't want all that luggage up in the Bedroom. And it would be impossible in a Roomette.

If this were me, I'd set things up so that one suitcase has all the needed overnight stuff for both of you. Leave the other two downstairs and only bring that 1 "overnight" bag and the cooler up to your room, along with the laptop too of course.

You may also wish to simply consider checking a bag or two, as it would save you from having to carry it around and move it from train to train.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're in a bedroom you can tuck some pretty good sized luggage under the sofa. However, you'd better not have to access anything in it when the beds are made up.

I guess I'll have to see what all I need and if I should check them. After all checking them isn't a problem being two are free. I'll have to figure it out and do a little test preparation as we get closer.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

For what it's worth, Amtrak told me the hallways and staircases are officially 23 1/2" to 24".

For what it's worth, Amtrak told me the hallways and staircases are officially 23 1/2" to 24".
That's about all we have to get sets through at an open-air theater in PA. Though the walls do "give" some since they're bushes.

For some reason via photos I thought they were smaller, like 18". They're about the size of the doorway to my bathroom.

My boyfriend and I always get a roomette; though, we may spring for a bedroom (using points) in December.

Anyway, we each have a suitcase and a backpack (school size). The suitcases go on the luggage rack downstairs, and the backpacks are for a change of clothes, our toiletries and medicine, pajamas, power strip, books, and anything else we need for two days/one night. We also carry a laptop bag and my purse.

The distribution is: B carries his suitcase, his backpack, and the laptop bag. I carry my suitcase, my backpack, and my purse.

The closet in the roomette is large enough to hold our two backpacks (they're smooshable, not stuffed full), the laptop bag, and my purse. We can also stuff a backpack under the lower bunk once it's made, which we usually do in the winter since our coats and boots take up room in the closet.

For some reason via photos I thought they were smaller, like 18". They're about the size of the doorway to my bathroom.
Photos can be deceiving. I used to be obsessed with checking out seats in restaurants, museums, and theatres before we went on a trip. They always looked much smaller than they actually were because there was nothing to use as a size reference, such as something or someone sitting in the chair.

This forum, and specifically this thread, has been terrific. I'm a big guy (as you can tell my the round face in the photo to the left), and I am always paranoid when I take trips, go to a theater or even to dinner. Basiclly anywhere that requires seating. I am 6ft tall and weigh 375-400lbs (I go up and down). Since our son is nearly 5 and since my new job gives me freedom to take time off at anytime, the wifey and I are planning on taking a lot more trips.

This Monday we will making our way to San Diego for Comic-Con via the Southwest Chief. I dont mind flying, but I havent been on a plane since college (2006). Seating was tight then and I was a few pounds lighter, so I don't think I'll fly comfortably now. Also, with all the recent horror stories(i.e. Large people being asked to get off a plane due to "safety." *cough" Southwest Airlines), I am super paranoid so I'm taking the train. Plus my wife is scared of flying, so a fat dude and a scared sh*tless women on a plane would just makes us stick out like sore thumbs.

I am glad I found this thread because it has made me a bit less worried about the train ride. My concern is if my wife and I would fit confortabling sitting next to each other. My wife is not a big person, she is what I would call "average" body weight. She is not skinny, but not large either. If you would see her, you would never think that she is either skinny or over weight. She sits anywhere comfortably. We are riding coach all the way to L.A. the concern is not really her fitting,as she would have no problem, the real concern is me taking up to much space and making both of us unconforable. I guess what I have going for me is that she is my wife so we dont mind being super close, but is there any big person on this thread who has sat in coach with a significant other, or even another passenger?

Any iinput would be awesome.

Thanks!

The last time B and I rode coach on the SWC, I weighed 357 pounds. At my biggest point (hips/butt), I was around 64".

He's 5'8" and average build (not skinny but not fat either). We had absolutely no issues with the seats. They're much wider than airplane seats.

B wasn't crowded at all. I think my thigh was touching his, but it wasn't pushing him out of his seat or anything. It was like sitting next to him on our couch. I think you and your wife will have the same experience.

This might help:

xbjxwl.jpg

On the left, I'm 357 pounds with 64" hips and a 52" waist. The dining booths were too tight, but I could go up and down stairs (my hips brushed the walls on each side), and I could go down hallways if I turned a bit to the side. The restrooms in coach were super tight and were one of the catalysts to get me to lose weight. I almost couldn't get out of one once (I had to climb onto the toilet to open the door).

On the right, I weigh 297 pounds with 57" hips and a 44" waist. The dining booths are just fine, my hips don't touch the walls of the stairs at all, and I don't have to turn to the side in the hallways anymore. The restrooms are okay too. I have to turn a bit to get the door open, but it's fine. FWIW, I think the sleeper restrooms are a bit bigger, because I felt like I had tons of room on our last trip, and they simply feel bigger.

Hopefully, this will give some people a better reference since it's hard to picture height/weight (for me, anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
That is terrific to hear. I know she wont mind but i want to her to be comfortable either way, as we are traveling cross country for 40+ hours. Thanks for all the quick responses. I have found more info on these forums then on any other site or forum. I plan to log my experience here so other big folk like myself can feel a bit more at ease when traveling.

I'm also happy for you and your weight loss. It's never easy for folks with low metabos. People always think we dont try but we probably try th hardest, but it is hard when the body does not cooperate. I'm glad to hear the you had a pretty smooth experience.

Question, is the accessible washroom always in the same cart? If so, to which coach cart is it nearest to?

I wouldn't say it's been smooth, but I'm doing my best. ;) I have insulin resistance and some other hormonal issues that make weight loss super difficult, but I won't give up until I'm at my goal. At least I'm trying, right? :) I just started swimming laps since I've been stalled for a few months. I think my body got used to walking.

I'm not sure where the H restroom is. I believe it's in the car with the H room and maybe the cars that have lower level seating? Hopefully, one of the gurus or our frequent coach rider (June) will pipe up with some info.

From reading this thread, I get the idea we may have the makings of a good football team....or at the least, an offensive line.

Can anyone throw a spiral?

In Superliner coach cars the Handicapped restroom is on the right of the right entrance door. The other restrooms are right and left of a hallway. To the left of the door is the heavy luggage storage and the handicapped lower level seating. To the right of the door to the lower level seating is the bottom of the spiral stairway to the upper level coach seats.

If you are sitting in the lower level coach seats, a member of the staff will provide a menu and get you meals if you have trouble getting up and down the steps. Please tip if you do this.

From reading this thread, I get the idea we may have the makings of a good football team....or at the least, an offensive line.
Can anyone throw a spiral?
Pfft. I can't even hold a football correctly. I have tiny hands, and it keeps falling out of my grip. ^_^ Watching me try to throw one is high comedy.

/* makes note to practice throwing a football. Maybe even try left handed as I seem to throw a freesbie better left handed though I'm right handed. */

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back