Best Beaches and Time of Year to visit Surfline

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
Hello,

I am currently planning a trip to the west coast for the summer 2008. I was wondering where you guys would recommend I visit. I really want to find some good swimming/tanning beaches along the Pacific Surfliner route.

Tentatively we are planning to take the Cap. Ltd. then the SWC, and the PS to San Diego. We are gonna stay at least one night in San Diego. From there, I want to know where the best beaches are for tourists staying for only a couple of days. I'm willing to take the Coaster, Surfliner, or Metrolink to wherever, I just want to know where. Also, what kind of Accom. are available? What time of year is the best time to visit the area for plenty of sun and swimming.

Thanks!

Jon Parker

Ah, the beach when I was little. Any beach south of LA are ideal due to warm water and warm air than in the north. I recommend after late June when the morning overcast has lifted up and warm water.

Popular beach station for the Metrolink is San Clemente Pier, not San Clemente. However, it only stops during summer season. Check on its website

If you get too much sunburned, I recommend to visit San Juan Capistrano where the mission from the Spaniard days is located. It's a very nice place to explore.

Later in summer is better. The Pacific is much colder than the Atlantic, and can be very surprising to those not used to it.

San Clemente, as previously mentioned, would be a great place to stop. I recommend Laguna Beach and Huntington Beach as well. The northern beaches may be more popular for tanning and people watching, but the southern ones are better for swimming, surfing, etc.

Also check out Solana Beach - heading south, the beach at Del Mar is quite nice, great for a long walk on the sand, and SB itself has lots of hotels near the beach (just make sure you're booking far in advance if it's during either the Del Mar Fair or during the Del Mar horse racing season...or you could just make that part of the trip!)

Later in summer is better. The Pacific is much colder than the Atlantic, and can be very surprising to those not used to it.
Aloha

My memory, what's that, seems to be the opposite, The Atlantic always seemed colder. Last time I as in the ocean on east coast was around '82. The Pacific in the middle iis definitely warmer. My last visit to Coney Island in '76 had snow and ice on the sand so that week was definitely colder. :lol:

And now I am off to the beach here :) Check Out some of my pictures in my photo gallery, the is one of the San Clemente beach next to the tracks and a few others.

As many people have already said, San Clemente Pier is a great stop. 2 trains stop here each direction year round, 2 back-to-back southbounds from Los Angeles in the morning, and 2 back-to-back northbounds in the evening. There is a great Cafe there as well, right across the street. The Fishermans Restaurant , albeit exspensive, is also very good. A great place to have some seafood, a glass of wine, and watch the sunset. While I like Solana Beach and Oceanside, they are going to be more crowded, which to me is not as nice (IMO).

I go to college about 50 miles from San Clemente during the year, and I honestly would say late summer July-September is going to be your best bet for weather. June often comes hand in hand with "June Gloom", where the pacific fog banks often never retreats off shore until late afternoon, or not at all. April and early May can be nice to, but for everyday sun, gotta go with July-September.

Aloha

My memory, what's that, seems to be the opposite, The Atlantic always seemed colder. Last time I as in the ocean on east coast was around '82. The Pacific in the middle iis definitely warmer.

I agree with him. Pacific is warmer than Atlantic. I've done scuba diving on both oceans. It weird that I was diving on between the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico currents. It's a huge difference in temperature!

Aloha

My memory, what's that, seems to be the opposite, The Atlantic always seemed colder. Last time I as in the ocean on east coast was around '82. The Pacific in the middle iis definitely warmer.

I agree with him. Pacific is warmer than Atlantic. I've done scuba diving on both oceans. It weird that I was diving on between the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico currents. It's a huge difference in temperature!
The east coast gets it's current from the Gulf Stream - a warm water current. The west coast gets it's current direct from Alaska - a cold water stream. That's why here in RI, the Atlantic can be 35 in winter and 75 in summer - while in CA, the Pacific can be in the 50's and 60's year round.

Aloha

The east coast gets it's current from the Gulf Stream - a warm water current. The west coast gets it's current direct from Alaska - a cold water stream. That's why here in RI, the Atlantic can be 35 in winter and 75 in summer - while in CA, the Pacific can be in the 50's and 60's year round.
We've always strived to provide the best, most up to date information regarding anything to do with Amtrak. But this is without a doubt the most current information we've ever provided. :lol: :lol: :lol: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back