Best Cross Country Route?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My fiancee and I are thinking about taking a cross-country train from the West Coast to New York next summer. Just wanted to get people's opinions on what they think is the best route as far as scenery and general travel - EB from Seatlle, CZ from Northern California, or SL or SC from Los Angeles.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I would recommend the EB but it will probably be suspended again.
sad.gif

Hi all,

My fiancee and I are thinking about taking a cross-country train from the West Coast to New York next summer. Just wanted to get people's opinions on what they think is the best route as far as scenery and general travel - EB from Seatlle, CZ from Northern California, or SL or SC from Los Angeles.

Thanks
California Zephyr has the best overall scenary, traveling east from Emeryville, you cross Donner Pass the afternoon of the first day, and the second day you are in Utah with the Book Cliffs in the morning, and the Rockies all afternoon. Third day, you are in Iowa, not much to see. Being on UP until Denver, it can have more timekeeping problems, though.

Traveling east on the Empire Builder from Seattle, you go up along Puget Sound, then cross the Cascades (dark in winter, but beautiful on long summer days). The next morning, you are in the Montana Rockies and travel along the southern edge of Glacier National Park. However, you are out of the mountains by about 10:30 am, and the rest of the day is spent in less than stunning eastern Montana (aka West Dakota). A treat on the third day, though is you spend most of the morning traveling along the Mississppi River in Minnesota and Wisconsin, then Wisconsin's rolling hills whereas the Zephyr and the Chief are just out on the plains. While people rave about the Empire Builder, it is my main connection east now, and I am not that thrilled with it, scenary wise. What there is is great, but there is less of it than on the Zephyr. It runs on BNSF until MSP, and BNSF handles the train well. Also, Amtrak has put special emphasis on the Builder, and service on it is somewhat more consistent than most other LDs.

The Southwest Chief is a personal favorite of mine, but the quickest (shortest) ride. New Mexico is pretty and Glorietta and Raton Passes in the afternoon are really scenic, though not as dramatic as either the Zephyr or the good parts of the Builder. But New Mexico is scenic all day. And BNSF handles it like it was the Super Chief. It is also the only long distance train that gets up to 90 mph, as ATS is active in the California desert and much of Arizona and New Mexico until the route leaves the transcon at Dalies. Finally, the route over Glorietta and Raton is probably on borrowed time, since BNSF no longer runs freight on it past Lamy, and New Mexico backed out of buying it. Ride it while you can.

The Sunset Limited is dead last for scenary. You spend a LOT of time in West Texas, and can be interesting, but it is nothing compared to any of the other trains. Ever see "No Country for Old Men"? That's where the Sunset goes. I will say that the two times I have ridden it, it had the best onboard service crews I've ever had, great friendly and fun crews, but with Amtrak that is always YMMV. Also it is almost all UP until it gets into Louisiana. They've put so much pad in the schedule now that even UP can't mess it up too much.

My recommendation is the CZ, followed by the Builder, then the Chief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the choice, I too would go for the Zephyr!
smile.gif
Especially westbound!
biggrin.gif

The climb from Denver up the Front Range is something. Going eastbound, it's kind of like a long decent of a plane landing at an airport, with all the curves and slow decent. You can see Denver in the distance, but it's like an hour until "landing"!
cool.gif

Another vote for the Zephyr from this veteran of the Eagle/Sunset, SW Chief and Builder. No matter what happens, the scenery west of Denver just can't be beat on an U.S. train ride.

Best X-country route? Whichever is running at the moment! :blink:

On those rare occasions of late, when all are running, I'd pick the CZ, but the EB out of PDX is not a bad choice either.

Southwwest Chief, which I recently went E-W on, was not so shabby either. It is true that any of them are wonderful, especially when running well and on time and with good staff (all of which are highly variable).

Whatever you do, enjoy, and never be afraid to ask an opinion here - if we don't have a good answer, you may rely on at least some of us to make something up! Wait - just kidding ...

they're all fantastic! that said, i've repeated the zephyr several times simply because i'm in love with the scenery, particularly in the sierra nevadas.

Hi all,

Thanks
You didnt say where you live in Cali but the posters picking the California Zephyr have it right! When you get to Chicago taking the Cardinal to New York also has first rate scenery, it only runs three days a week and is usuallly hard to book a Sleeper but its a great trip! Second choice is the Lake Shore Limited from CHI-New York, the Ride down the Hudson River into New York is Pretty Sweet! Your other choices are the Capitol Ltd. to Washington (quickest train), then a Regional to New York on the NEC or the Cap. Ltd to Pittsburgh, the Pennsylvanian to New York! Nice trip! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I will recommend the CZ. the ride over Donner, Reno, Salt Lake City the you get to go through the Moffat Tunnel Denver by night is beautiful across Nebraska and Iowa.great stuff.probably the best of the LD routes at this time.

Hi all,

Thanks
California Zephyr has the best overall scenary, traveling east from Emeryville, you cross Donner Pass the afternoon of the first day, and the second day you are in Utah with the Book Cliffs in the morning, and the Rockies all afternoon. Third day, you are in Iowa, not much to see. Being on UP until Denver, it can have more timekeeping problems, though.

Traveling east on the Empire Builder from Seattle, you go up along Puget Sound, then cross the Cascades (dark in winter, but beautiful on long summer days). The next morning, you are in the Montana Rockies and travel along the southern edge of Glacier National Park. However, you are out of the mountains by about 10:30 am, and the rest of the day is spent in less than stunning eastern Montana (aka West Dakota). A treat on the third day, though is you spend most of the morning traveling along the Mississppi River in Minnesota and Wisconsin, then Wisconsin's rolling hills whereas the Zephyr and the Chief are just out on the plains. While people rave about the Empire Builder, it is my main connection east now, and I am not that thrilled with it, scenary wise. What there is is great, but there is less of it than on the Zephyr. It runs on BNSF until MSP, and BNSF handles the train well. Also, Amtrak has put special emphasis on the Builder, and service on it is somewhat more consistent than most other LDs.

The Southwest Chief is a personal favorite of mine, but the quickest (shortest) ride. New Mexico is pretty and Glorietta and Raton Passes in the afternoon are really scenic, though not as dramatic as either the Zephyr or the good parts of the Builder. But New Mexico is scenic all day. And BNSF handles it like it was the Super Chief. It is also the only long distance train that gets up to 90 mph, as ATS is active in the California desert and much of Arizona and New Mexico until the route leaves the transcon at Dalies. Finally, the route over Glorietta and Raton is probably on borrowed time, since BNSF no longer runs freight on it past Lamy, and New Mexico backed out of buying it. Ride it while you can.

The Sunset Limited is dead last for scenary. You spend a LOT of time in West Texas, and can be interesting, but it is nothing compared to any of the other trains. Ever see "No Country for Old Men"? That's where the Sunset goes. I will say that the two times I have ridden it, it had the best onboard service crews I've ever had, great friendly and fun crews, but with Amtrak that is always YMMV. Also it is almost all UP until it gets into Louisiana. They've put so much pad in the schedule now that even UP can't mess it up too much.

Sorry to hijack thread, but what will happen to this part of the route if that section is closed?? Disappointed to hear this.. I htought NM was locked in (where I live BTW) and just love this section of the route. Plus, heavy ridership with scouts going to Philmont so what would be the alternate?

Hi all,

Thanks

Sorry to hijack thread, but what will happen to this part of the route if that section is closed?? Disappointed to hear this.. I htought NM was locked in (where I live BTW) and just love this section of the route. Plus, heavy ridership with scouts going to Philmont so what would be the alternate?
As has been discussed here many times, BNSF claims New Mexico has backed out of the Deal to Purchase/Maintain this Route,(BNSF no longer runs freights this way) Amtrak could Purchase/Maintain it for a Very Large Sum of $$$! What will Probably happen is the SW Chief will be Rerouted on the Southern TransCon thru Amarillo, the Scouts would have to ride Busses either from ABQ or Denver if they wanted to get to Rotan via Train! Its a shame if this happens but Amtrak doesnt have the $$$ (it would better be spent on equipment and more trains on Popular Routes)so Ride it while you can! :help:

I'm so happy my daughter & son-in-law moved to UT. Gives me a great reason to take the CZ (which I will be doing in Nov), though I'll miss the NV/CA portion. Maybe another year I'll fly out to CA and take the CZ east (if they're willing to pick me up that early :) ). Then again, they may move to CA at some point, so I can take the CZ the whole way.

I have rode all three routes and I concur that the CZ is the best one! All three have their bonus parts but the CZ just can't be beat. My wife and I left LNK (Lincoln NE) on our honeymoon last September and took the CZ to SAC, CS to SEA and then honeymooned in SEA and then took the EB to CHI and the CZ back to LNK. Loved it all! Love her as well! :wub: Book 11 months out for the best fare!

I have rode all three routes and I concur that the CZ is the best one! All three have their bonus parts but the CZ just can't be beat. My wife and I left LNK (Lincoln NE) on our honeymoon last September and took the CZ to SAC, CS to SEA and then honeymooned in SEA and then took the EB to CHI and the CZ back to LNK. Loved it all! Love her as well! :wub: Book 11 months out for the best fare!
Smart move Al to mention you Love your Bride also! :wub:

My vote is for the SWC...it's one of the tightest operations out there on all sides, and honestly I value that. I'll be doing the CZ this coming week (heading home), so I'll offer opinions on that. My guess is that the SWC wins on operations, the CZ on scenery, the EB on "added service" (China dishes, etc.), and the SL on "most enduring" (SP and UP have spent 50 years trying to kill it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back