Best direction to view Glacier National Park

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Train Guy

Train Attendant
I am planning a trip between Chicago and Seattle and would like to know if leaving from Seattle travelling eastbound will offer better daylight scenery than leaving from Chicago. Thank you.

I have traveled in both directions on the EB and Eastbound offers a better chance that you will get the best views regardless of if the train is on time or not. As a previous poster mentioned, a disadvantage to the Eastbound route is needing to rise very early, particularly if the train is on time. On my just completed EB journey, I awoke at 5:10 A.M. The shower was ready for me, dressed and was ready when the Dining Car opened for Breakfast. However, the train was running late. That gave me time for a leisurely, tasty Breakfast with plenty of time to find a good seat in the SSL for our journey through the Park.

I did the Portland segment of the EB once, but I prefer going though the Cascades. Just wish there was enough equipment to have a Dining Car and a SSL on the segment from Seattle.

I would consider the Portland section. Imho the run along the Columbia River Trump's the Cascades. Especially when viewing from the rail fan window of the sleeping car.
Which side of train is the good one eastbound for this? 8 days away for me!

To me you need to look out both sides, though north may have the most or best views. I attempt to jump from side to side for photos, so if possible I sit center of the SSL so I have better access to both sides.

Between Essex and East Glacier the majority of the good scenery is going to be toward the south. A lot of the views to the north consist of a spectacular view a dirt embankment. :lol:
In the Columbia Gorge, the view is to the south. Next morning, before Essex, the best view is to the north. Soon after Essex, you cross from the south side to the north side of the river and then I agree with JayPea, the best view is to the south. In all cases, the side without the view seems to be up against a mountain, so yes, you want to be in the SSL any time the view is not right outside your sleeper window.

Because great scenery might be ho-hum scenery for others, I always preview the scenery along both sides of the route using Google Earth as well as the topographic maps here: https://www.mytopo.com/maps/ These topographic maps will show the names for things you never even knew had names - like railroad sidings.

If tunnels are your thing, the only meaningful view of the Cascade Tunnel will be out of a South side window and will be the East Portal, but the tunnel doors will be open prior to your arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got home from 4 days at East Glacier. We arrived from Seattle and the evening approaching the Cascades (and the nearly 8 mile long Cascade Tunnel) presented us with some beautiful scenery. Likewise for Glacier National Park. I was up and breakfast was done before Whitefish and was able to enjoy the scenery as we skirted the southern park boundary and over Marias Pass. Just looking at the timetable, the time of day for the several area stops should reveal the best direction. When our week was done, we boarded #8 at GPK and continued east to Chicago for our trip home the "long way"!

Back