Best way to get cheap tickets?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
I was gone for awhile and now it seems the bucket system (book early and get the cheapest sleeper/ticket) no longer exists. Can someone explain how the pricing system works now?

Sorry, I'm sure this is asked a lot, but I couldn't find it.

Well the bucket system still exists. But it seems that a lot of travel agents get first dibs on rooms before the inventory goes on sale. Which raises the price. After a certain time period travel agents must release the rooms back to the inventory.

Thanks for the Amsnag link. So bucket system does still exist? I did some searches, and either the lowest buckets are already sold to someone else, or the lowest bucket prices have increased dramatically over the last four years.

Thanks for the Amsnag link. So bucket system does still exist? I did some searches, and either the lowest buckets are already sold to someone else, or the lowest bucket prices have increased dramatically over the last four years.
Low bucket has increased, but they also tend to start at above low bucket 11 months out. If sales are slow, they'll drop the price to low bucket then.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Is there usually a typical time frame to look for to get lowest bucket (besides searching away with the link above)? I am a person who plans far in the future before trips.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Is there usually a typical time frame to look for to get lowest bucket (besides searching away with the link above)? I am a person who plans far in the future before trips.
No easy way to really do that. When I'm trying to snag a cheap deal, I look up Amsnag every day on my intended route to see if the prices will drop enough to give me a low bucket "slot" to buy in the midst of all the other expensive fares. If everything fails and prices go berserk, then I usually have to look for other transportation.

An example of this would be busy holiday periods. 11 months out will get you a high bucket during Thanksgiving. But, if revenue projections fall short, you can expect the buckets to go down bucket by bucket until they need to increase again. Initial buckets and rates are based on projections, then adjusted for bookings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to get cheap tickets is to (somewhat) paraphrase the old Chicago saying: "Buy early, and keep checking and if necessary buy often (if the bucket drops)!" :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back