Biggest Amtrak Doom Story Ever

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the improvements Kummant has made to the online reservation systems and technology improvements in the nearly 10 years since his trip I would *hope* horror stories like that are a thing of the past. Crazy!

That's a very old story, now almost 10 years old. There have been many changes and improvements since then.

Not sure how many people have read this before, but I just stumbled across it. This story is absolutely incredible. A few things were absolutely hilarious despite all the problems, but I thought it was an excellent read.
http://trainweb.org/web_lurker/swiss2/
Those of us who have traveled by train all have some stories though your link is a whopper. Some of mine include (1) an itinerary of the Coast Starlight out of Emeryville connecting to the Empire Builder to Spokane near Christmas time, and there was a murder on the tracks in Martinez which resulted in the tracks becoming a crime scene and all trains were cancelled resulting in an Emeryville to Spokane chartered bus ride instead of a deluxe bedroom; (2) on November 3, 2008, having the throughway bus from the Coast Starlight in Klamath Falls to Pasco blow a wheel bearing in the middle of nowhere on the highway near Biggs Junction, OR, misconnecting with the Empire Builder, resulting in a long bus trip to Spokane and (3) having a mudslide occur south of Portland taking out the tracks for month and having a Spokane-Las Vegas trip on the Empire Builder and Coast light plus throughway bus change to a Spokane-Chicago Empire Builder and Chicago-Flaggstaff Southwest Chief ride plus bus to Las Vegas (took forever, I should have flown).

Those of us who have traveled by train all have some stories though your link is a whopper.
Like the time that Amtrak didn't hold the City of New Orleans five minutes for me to catch it, they flew me down to catch the second leg of my journey, and I still got to New Orleans after the train....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back