Booking another person in a roomette after I've already booked

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wyomingtrainlover

Train Attendant
Greetings all. My dad and I will depart Denver to DC and back on October 16 (Saturday) and return to Denver on October 21 (Thursday) using the CZ and CL. We each booked separate roomettes (he had to book way early for his meetings where I was still unsure about getting time off). Anyways, my mom doesn't know her work schedule yet. We were in Denver this past weekend for a Rockies game (and to celebrate my bday). Dad and I got our tickets (I'm lower level on almost all legs of the trip). We asked the ticket agent about mom joining us. She informed us that all mom has to do is pay roundtrip coachfare and just inform the conductor. She said mom could stay with us and would be entitled to free meals. I understand that the agents' word is typically gospel, but do ya'll have any opinions?? Thanks a bunch!

Actually, the agent is wrong. You should have your mother added to an existing reservation (either your father's or yours). First, this ensures that she will receive the lowest rail fare (if you book a regular coach ticket, you may wind up paying a higher rail fare). It also will ensure that she is placed on the sleeper manifest, so that there isn't any trouble if the dining car LSA is reconciling the meal checks and notices two meals going to a room with only one passenger.

In the past, I believe Amtrak did allow coach passengers into a sleeper if they were traveling with someone with a sleeper ticket.

Actually, the agent is wrong. You should have your mother added to an existing reservation (either your father's or yours). First, this ensures that she will receive the lowest rail fare (if you book a regular coach ticket, you may wind up paying a higher rail fare). It also will ensure that she is placed on the sleeper manifest, so that there isn't any trouble if the dining car LSA is reconciling the meal checks and notices two meals going to a room with only one passenger.

In the past, I believe Amtrak did allow coach passengers into a sleeper if they were traveling with someone with a sleeper ticket.
I second this advice! :)

I've added people to an existing room reservation, and they are added as "open space" to my original reservation. Transportation fare is at low bucket, and they are shown as being in my room.

I third the above advice!
biggrin.gif

Unless she is shown on the sleeper's manifest, she will not be entitled to free meals in the Dining Car! Plus her "rail fare" will be the current "bucket" - not the lowest "bucket"!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back