Booking Dinner in Station Lounge Before Boarding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chandj

Service Attendant
I've seen questions about whether or not a meal can be booked in the station lounge when meal time is soon after boarding. I just checked into the lounge in Chicago Union Station to wait for my 6:40 Capitol Limited trip to Pittsburgh and the attendant asked me if I wanted to book my dinner. I did, of course! By the way, I came into Chicago on Dec 1 on the Capitol from Pittsburgh and the car attendant told me the dining car would be open for breakfast from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. first come first served. He offered to wake me, but forgot. However I still got to the dining car by 6:30, which was good because it actually closed for new seatings before I finished eating.

The CL is the only train that has that option (AFAIK) departing CHI. In fact if you chose the first seating, you could receive your dinner even before the CL starts moving!
cool.gif

I think you're right about the City of New Orleans too... the last time I took it, I was also eating before we actually pulled out of the station -- but that was almost 2 years ago. I am out on #59 on December 12th, so I will keep you posted if it's still the case!

Speaking of the Capital Limited, and I guess the CONO....

The Capital Limited has a CCC - is that a real diner, with a cook / and or kitchen? And the seating is dramatically different than a standard diner (perhaps more like a lounge), thus a different name - "Cross Country Cafe". Or are the meals microwaved - like on the Cardinal?

I've heard those on here who are not big fans of the CCC on the Capital Limited. I did not know if that was due to a food and service issue - with perhaps a limited menu, or just an issue of style and layout of the car?

Just wondering,

Thanks,

Mike

The complaints about CCCs have been mostly by railfans. Most of the "regular" passengers I speak with seem to enjoy the CCCs.

That said, the Capitol Limited now runs with 38000-series dining cars.

The complaints about CCCs have been mostly by railfans. Most of the "regular" passengers I speak with seem to enjoy the CCCs.

I only see one major problem with your observation~ how about asking the crews that have to work the CCC versus the full diner? Last CCC I rode, that wasn't bad ordered, we had to beg space from an adjacent table to put someone's food on it. Railfans or not we're still paying pax and have more insight than someone riding once or twice a year. Glitter and bling for an occasional rider is nice but functional operating practices is another.

Reminds me of when the Acela first ran. They had to have a hi-rail follow it to pick up the pieces of engine cowling and assorted other hardware that flew off at 150 mph. The pax loved the ride but had no idea of what it took to get those first Acelas over the road. IIRC, a complete Acela set sat dead in Washington for quite some time awaiting many missing parts.

And one of the reasons why "railfans" might be the major drum beaters is that the CCC was supposed to be "all day" service which never seemed to materialize. And the crew declaring the lounge end as their territory didn't help either. Most one timers would have absolutely no idea of what is "supposed" to be versus on board reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

So is the 38000 series Dining car, a standard Superliner Dining car?

Last edited by a moderator:

So is the 38000 series Dining car, a standard Superliner Dining car?
Correct, any car numbered in the 38000 series is a full dining car as originally built.

The CCC's are numbered in the 37000 series and are full dining cars that were converted into CCC's. So the full kitchen downstairs remains, while most of the upper level that the passengers see is what was changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back