Booking very early

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rile

A friend of mine from Key West attends the Indy 500 with me. Afterwards, he uses Amtrak to travel from Cleveland to Miami on his trip back to Key West. He always waits too long to book the trip though and ends up paying more than he needs to for the trip. I have read many people here advise to book as early as possible knowing that if something comes up, you can cancel without a problem up to a couple of weeks before the trip is to start.

My question is at what point is a person's credit card charged with the fare? If anyone has advise on this, I'd appreciate it.

The credit card is immediately charged when you make the reservation/purchase transation, whether online or over the telephone. Before you receive a confirmation number, the credit card purchase must receive an approval of purchase.

However, one additional item I forgot to mention . . .

If you make a reservation by phone, they can "hold" it for a short time before you call back with payment or purchase it at a staffed station. However, this is a short-term holding of the reservation. The amount of time they will hold it depends on how far in advance of travel you are calling, I believe.

The credit card is charged when the reservation is made. (Just like an airline ticket.) However if you cancel your trip (and you haven't printed your tickets), your credit card receives a credit for 100% of the fare!
cool.gif
(The exception is that sleeper reservations have to be cancelled 7 days prior to departure for a refund of the accommodation charge. But the rail fare is 100% refundable at anytime!
biggrin.gif
)

This also brings up a somewhat related topic I've had on my mind. For those of us who don't have a great deal of disposable income very far in advance, and who also do not "do" credit cards, either due to not being able to get one because of bad credit, or just basically not wanting to get into that racket (which is the case with me), it makes it very hard to book anything more expensive than a short trip in coach very far in advance with Amtrak. When using a debit card, you obviously must have the full amount in your bank account at the time you book the tickets, since it comes out immediately. Rather than following the airline model as it has been pointed out that they do, I really wish Amtrak would do like the great majority of hotels, and let you make a reservation without charging the card until a certain time on the day of the reservation/if you are a no-show. I think this would increase bookings, even if they would just do it for sleeper accomodations. This could also be done for a surcharge if necessary. (In other words lower price if you pay immediately, as opposed to not being charged until the day of the reservation - something else most hotels offer when booking.) Of course I'm sure they look at it like if they did that they'd lose out if someone cancelled - but hotels can manage this though, so I'm not totally sure why Amtrak can't. And they let sleepers go at lower buckets at the last minute (as in onboard upgrades) if there are any left anyway. I think the thing is, the assumption today is that EVERYONE has credit cards, and "too bad, so sad" if you don't. This is why big box stores have done away with layaway, too. Leaves you in a situation of having to save up for a long time to get what you want, which really is not generally a bad thing at all. But, in terms of Amtrak, sometimes by the time you have the money saved up, the buckets have went way up from where they would have been if you could have booked when those using a credit card were able to do so.

The credit card is charged when the reservation is made. (Just like an airline ticket.) However if you cancel your trip (and you haven't printed your tickets), your credit card receives a credit for 100% of the fare!
cool.gif
(The exception is that sleeper reservations have to be cancelled 7 days prior to departure for a refund of the accommodation charge. But the rail fare is 100% refundable at anytime!
biggrin.gif
)
Thanks traveler. That's how I thought it went. We never have the tickets printed until we arrive at CLE for the trip so that's not a problem. BTW, I forgot to sign in...not a guest.

This also brings up a somewhat related topic I've had on my mind. For those of us who don't have a great deal of disposable income very far in advance, and who also do not "do" credit cards, either due to not being able to get one because of bad credit, or just basically not wanting to get into that racket (which is the case with me), it makes it very hard to book anything more expensive than a short trip in coach very far in advance with Amtrak. When using a debit card, you obviously must have the full amount in your bank account at the time you book the tickets, since it comes out immediately. Rather than following the airline model as it has been pointed out that they do, I really wish Amtrak would do like the great majority of hotels, and let you make a reservation without charging the card until a certain time on the day of the reservation/if you are a no-show. I think this would increase bookings, even if they would just do it for sleeper accomodations. This could also be done for a surcharge if necessary. (In other words lower price if you pay immediately, as opposed to not being charged until the day of the reservation - something else most hotels offer when booking.) Of course I'm sure they look at it like if they did that they'd lose out if someone cancelled - but hotels can manage this though, so I'm not totally sure why Amtrak can't. And they let sleepers go at lower buckets at the last minute (as in onboard upgrades) if there are any left anyway. I think the thing is, the assumption today is that EVERYONE has credit cards, and "too bad, so sad" if you don't. This is why big box stores have done away with layaway, too. Leaves you in a situation of having to save up for a long time to get what you want, which really is not generally a bad thing at all. But, in terms of Amtrak, sometimes by the time you have the money saved up, the buckets have went way up from where they would have been if you could have booked when those using a credit card were able to do so.
If someone reserved a ticket a few months out without a transaction there is no guarantee that the account will still be active when they try to bill for a no show. A happy medium is the cruise model. Carnival does a $200 deposit to hold the room and you must pay in full at 60 days. There is no way they will change though, there is enough demand for sleepers while using the airline model to keep using it.

Amtrak will hold your reservation for one week. I have two holding now. Also, if you happen to go into Canada, Amtrak wants your passport number when you book. This is a security thing with Canada.

cool.gif
biggrin.gif
)
Credit card is charged when the reservation is PURCHASED, and it does not have to be purchased when the reservation is made if done with a agent either by phone or in person. Unlike the airlines, you can make a reservation and hold it up to 7 days without paying. Only the website isn't set up to to do holds. Also, unlike the airlines, there is no charge or penalty for using a live agent. Note that on some trains under some conditions (Acela is one, I think), they will not hold it that long, but the agent will inform you when you have to purchase by.

As others have pointed out, even after you purchase, it is wise not to pick-up the tickets right away. As long as the tickets are not printed, most Amtrak fares are fully refundable. Once you pick up the ticket, if you cancel, you'll either get a 10% penalty if you want cash, although they'll give you 100% of the value if you want a voucher for future transportation (Sleeper accomodation charges are slightly different, as outlined above).

Last edited by a moderator:
The credit card is charged when the reservation is made.
Credit card is charged when the reservation is PURCHASED, and it does not have to be purchased when the reservation is made if done with a agent either by phone or in person.
You are indeed correct, but because I always book online, it is always charged when I make the reservation!
rolleyes.gif

but hotels can manage this though
What many people don't realize is that while hotels do not charge your card until you check out, when you make a reservation they place a hold on your account for the cost of 1 night's room!

Thus if your room costs $550, and before you check it you have to buy some appliances for $2500, but your credit line is only $3000 - that store is going to deny your card, because you would be over your limit!
sad.gif
($2500 + $550 is more than your $3000 limit!)

booking early doesn't always get you the lowest fare.Ichecked every day until the price came up for our trip next April.The segment from Chi.-San Francisco on the CZ cost us 1195.for the bedroom only.I received the tickets via fed ex the next day.I am hesitent to book when the price goes down then turn these tickets in for a refund as suggested.This trip means a lot to Hubby and me.Our 60th and I wouldn't want to do anything to keep us from making this trip.

booking early doesn't always get you the lowest fare.Ichecked every day until the price came up for our trip next April.The segment from Chi.-San Francisco on the CZ cost us 1195.for the bedroom only.I received the tickets via fed ex the next day.I am hesitent to book when the price goes down then turn these tickets in for a refund as suggested.This trip means a lot to Hubby and me.Our 60th and I wouldn't want to do anything to keep us from making this trip.
Why did you have the tickets fedexed to you if the trip isn't until next april? Best way to is just have the reservation paid for and not ticketed. Then if you find another room for cheaper, you can book that immediately and then cancel the other one, not having to deal with paper tickets and losing them.

For your next amtrak trip, I would definitely suggest waiting to print your tickets until the day of travel. You can do so right at the station if you are traveling from CHI or San Francisco.

This is the very first time we ever LD on a train except when I went with my parents on the auto train many many years ago and they made the arrangements.We always wanted to go by train coast to coast(We live in NJ)and thought this would be the perfect way to celebrate our 60th.When we were over to Train Day in May we checked into it and was told we couldn't get reservations until 11 months out just to keep checking until they gave a price and book then as that would be the cheapest they would be,so when I booked it asked how I wanted the tickets sent I said Fed Ex.I didn't think they would send them immediatly and was totally shocked when they did.We are actually going from Phl-San Francisco,but the segment from chi-San Francisco on the CZ was a shocker for bedroom price.

I guess as the saying goes if you want the best low bucket price, you've got to "put your money where your mouth is". We just booked and paid for our June 2011 trip to NOL on the Crescent. Bedrooms on the Crescent are in short supply (only 4 per train) and as they sell the prices can rise to $800 per night. Booking in advance the booking cost was $238- a big enough difference for us to pay now and there is always the opportunity for a full refund later if a family emergency comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back