Boston to Chicago in September - two options

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have same trip coming and am going Bos to Albany. I hate Penn station. All of it. Even the Acela Lounge is overcrowded. I find the Albany station easier to hang out in. Also having taken !many acelas and regular coaches I find that even without considering price Acela is over rated. Since it's so popular its almost always crowded. The Bos to Albany train may be less crowded.

Where is 4920 positioned out of Albany--in the front of the train, or in the back with the New York-Chi sleepers?
All of the sleepers are grouped together on the head end of the train. If all goes according to plan, 4920 should be the very first sleeper behind the baggage car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, and please pardon my ignorance on the matter.

If 4920 is where I'm booked, and it will be part of the consist going BOS-ALB, then why am I riding coach BOS-ALB? I mean, if the car is on the train, why am I not on that car?

I hate to sound whiny, and if there no alternative, I get it, and I'll ride coach - happily, I might add. But is 4920 coming out of Boston?

The 4920 is part of train 49 for the time being. In other words, it along with the 4911 and 4912 cars, travels NYP to CHI.

When the track work, etc., is complete, the '20 car will be back on 449 from BOS to CHI.

For your trip in September the train from BOS to ALB will be coaches, and hopefully the BC/ Cafe for you and the others destined to be in a sleeper departing Albany. The three sleepers will be coming from New York.

Enjoy your trip.

Mike

The 4920 is part of train 49 for the time being. In other words, it along with the 4911 and 4912 cars, travels NYP to CHI.

When the track work, etc., is complete, the '20 car will be back on 449 from BOS to CHI.
Ah! I see. So it's all coaches BOS to CHI for the duration of the work.

Thank you for the explanation and your patience with me, everyone.

Also, thanks for the suggestions as to which option I should choose.

George, the coaches from BOS do not go to CHI. Everyone gets off the the 449 train at ALB and board the 449 sleepers & coaches that are already attached to 49.

(At least that is what I think I recall reading here on AU).

. . .the coaches from BOS do not go to CHI. Everyone gets off the the 449 train at ALB and board the 449 sleepers & coaches that are already attached to 49.
(At least that is what I think I recall reading here on AU).
And that's exactly how it was when I took the LSL from BOS to CHI in May of this year:

• BOS to ALB (#449) was coaches only - no sleepers - with food in a lounge car.

• ALB to CHI was coaches and sleepers, the sleepers having arrived at ALB from NYP on #49 (along with the coaches and diner car).

Station at ALB is a nice new one with some fast food and a tavern just across the street from the parking lot in an old fire station.

I know this has created some gnashing of teeth for a couple of months now, and there was also track work Albany to Boston ,but the four major NY projects really should help the LSL. Fiber optic signal cable North from Poughkeepsie, Albany 4th track and extended platform, 2nd main to Schenectady, and yard traffic fixes around Syracuse.

PVD: in addition to those projects, don't forget the high level platforms (facing both tracks, with grade-separated pedestrian access) in the new station at Schenectady, and the high level platforms (facing both tracks, with grade-separated pedestrian access) at the new station at Rochester. These *ought* to speed up the LSL, although the short length of the Rochester platforms will require double stops (there is a "Phase II" plan to lengthen the new platform but it isn't funded yet). They will certainly speed up the Empire Service, and they will make boarding the LSL easier and more pleasant, so that's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back