Bothered by Poo?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time I heard an SCA discussing best practices protocols for using Amtrak toilets I really wasn't all that crazy about it. However, after my first experience on a train with a clogged and seeping waste system you can bet it changed my mind around pretty damn quick. I wish Amtrak could find the time and the money necessary to modify the waste systems so that they weren't so incredibly fragile, but barring that I would rather the attendent give a quick reminder to the folks who don't know any better. Preferably that wouldn't be the over the intercom, but I guess some folks just don't have the wherewithal to be discrete about it.

The first time I heard an SCA discussing best practices protocols for using Amtrak toilets I really wasn't all that crazy about it. However, after my first experience on a train with a clogged and seeping waste system you can bet it changed my mind around pretty damn quick. I wish Amtrak could find the time and the money necessary to modify the waste systems so that they weren't so incredibly fragile, but barring that I would rather the attendent give a quick reminder to the folks who don't know any better. Preferably that wouldn't be the over the intercom, but I guess some folks just don't have the wherewithal to be discrete about it.
Given the state of public bathrooms in general in our country, I guess maybe we should be surprised that the Amtrak coach toilets are not totally disgusting! I have only found the train toilets too nauseating to use on one trip on the NEC, a weekend ride when a group of college students totally disregarded any toilet training they presumably had as toddlers.

It would be nice if Amtrak could figure out a way, either with signs in the bathrooms themselves, or through a seat card, or whatever, to encourage people to use the train toilet as if it were their own, in their house or apartment.

I'm not holding my breath, though. And that is why I would never ride LD without having at least a roomette, and preferably a bedroom if one is available when I book.

Last year while on a trip from Bloomington to Seattle via the Texas Eagle and the Coast Starlight, on BOTH trains, the car attendant had to explain how to flush the toilet!!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: Seems they were the type that just flushed by putting the lid down. Folks were confused and ringing the call button instead!!! :wacko: On the CS, before I retired for the night, the SCA told me to make sure to push the call button if I needed anything. I asked her "How about I just flush the toilet instead??" :lol: :lol: Gave her her laugh for the night!! :lol:

:blink:

Now what about those in my underwear?
mosking.gif
(There are road maps! OK, too much information!
laugh.gif
)
football-referee-signal-for-first-down.gif

Oversharing! 15 yard penalty, loss of down!
Heck, I'm going to go big or go home and try for a 4 game suspension.......when I see skid marks or toilet klingons I try to pee them off. Makes for great target practice with the train movement and all. :lol:

:blink:

Now what about those in my underwear?
mosking.gif
(There are road maps! OK, too much information!
laugh.gif
)
football-referee-signal-for-first-down.gif

Oversharing! 15 yard penalty, loss of down!
Heck, I'm going to go big or go home and try for a 4 game suspension.......when I see skid marks or toilet klingons I try to pee them off. Makes for great target practice with the train movement and all. :lol:
I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may have not done the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. Life's a game, have fun!

Too bad hopper toilets are not allowed anymore. A car with hoppers (toilets that empty directly onto the tracks, for those of you who don't know) would be an ideal place to exile passengers who can't properly use the more modern toilets.

Too bad hopper toilets are not allowed anymore. A car with hoppers (toilets that empty directly onto the tracks, for those of you who don't know) would be an ideal place to exile passengers who can't properly use the more modern toilets.
Good one!

Takes me back to watching trains on the NEC with my Dad. The crazy man liked sitting right next to the tracks on the platforms of little used or unused stations - like Bowie, MD - while PRR passenger trains "highballed" by. That fine mist of droplets one would feel from... well I think you can guess... never seemed to take away from his pleasure in experiencing the power and speed at close range.

:lol: Reminds me when I was a kid and the car attendants would lock the toliets when pulling into town, announce that they would open "ten minutes out of the station"! I used to like stepping on the pedal and seeing the flap open and the tracks wiz by underneath the train! :D

:lol: Reminds me when I was a kid and the car attendants would lock the toliets when pulling into town, announce that they would open "ten minutes out of the station"! I used to like stepping on the pedal and seeing the flap open and the tracks wiz by underneath the train! :D

Yes, that was some railfan window!! Then there were the signs above the toiet: "Kindly flush the toilet after each use EXCEPT when train is standing at station"

Yes, that was some railfan window!! Then there were the signs above the toiet: "Kindly flush the toilet after each use EXCEPT when train is standing at station"
When I was under 10, I wandered if the train was going the other was would the stuff blow back? :rolleyes: :help:

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back