Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally met one of those whining MIMBYs from Florida while on vacation in Nova Scotia. What a bunch of whiners! 32 more trains a day he said! Aww! And no mention that the tracks were there before he was!. (I brought that up).

I hope they put a freeway across the street from his house.

The passenger-rail system will be elevated 50 feet to align with existing public transportation systems and with retail spaces located beneath the track. The design will allow through-streets to remain open to traffic and create an atmosphere of walkability, All Aboard Florida officials said.
I wonder if this will mean that the approach line north of the station will also have to be raised, and if so, what effect that will have on the branch going out to the docks?

Looks like this is the first visible evidence that AAF is moving beyond the conceptual/design phase:

http://www.exmiami.org/index.php/all-aboard-florida-closes-parking-lots-to-prepare-for-construction/

Can't wait to see buildings going up and track being put in place!
I've often wondered about the economics of using high-value land in a prime location for low density parking, with per day charges often being in the single digits, and indeed in said location why this continued so long. The ROI of managed parking spaces must be pretty dismal. Of course now it is fortituous that the land is still avilable but for many years nobody would have imagined that rail would ever return to this site and its thus little short of a miracle that it wasn't developed long ago. Or was there maybe a plan on the back burner for a long time but they just decided the time wasn't ripe?

And while on the topic of parking. Will there be an underground car park under the station? Or is AAf assuming people will use public transit and existing facilities?

I got an email from AAF last week asking me to tell elected officials that the NIMBYs should not prevail....

Follow the link where it says "Click here to show your support for All Aboard Florida." It takes less than a minute!

All Aboard Florida is moving full steam ahead. Construction on the Miami to West Palm Beach rail infrastructure and stations will start soon, and we continue educating stakeholders and spreading the facts about Florida’s most important transportation project.

As the project progresses, it is important for governmental entities and elected officials to hear your supportive voice. We recently added a “Show Your Support” tool to our website that allows supporters to submit letters to their relevant elected officials, the Federal Railroad Administration and the Florida Department of Transportation. It takes less than 60 seconds to complete (just like a grade crossing cycle for a passenger train!), and we would appreciate your continued support by filling it out today.

We are also encouraging you to send this link to all of your contacts – family, friends and colleagues across the country (not just limited to our fellow Floridians). Passenger rail is coming back, and we’re excited that you’re part of it with us.

Click here to show your support for All Aboard Florida.

We thank you for your continued support.

Please visit our website for more information and share this email with interested parties so they can receive updates from All Aboard Florida. Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Article on passenger amenities that will be available on AAF trains:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/08/5-cool-amenities-planned-for-all-aboard-florida.html?page=all

• Dynamic WiFi: All Aboard Florida has invested into a beefed-up, high-bandwidth signal that it owns along the route, so passengers will have no problems doing work, playing games or listening to music during their ride.
  • Cafe car/bar car: During the three-hour ride, of course you might get hungry or thirsty, so you’ll have the option of visiting the dining car for a snack or the bar car for a drink with friends. All Aboard Florida also is looking into apps that would allow you to order your beverage or snack to be delivered to your seat on the train.
  • Seating configuration: Whether traveling with family, friends or alone on a business trip, riders can choose the type of seating configuration best suited for their party when booking tickets online. Each train will fit up to 400 passengers, and seats will be the same or larger than first-class airline seats. And you can check your luggage on the train, too.
  • Fully ADA-compliant: Along with wide aisles, the trains also will have level boarding with no steps, which will allow for wheelchairs, scooters and bikes to be able to wheel directly onto the train.
  • Pets: Though it hasn’t been finalized yet, All Aboard Florida is exploring the option of being able to bring pets on your trip. After all, no one likes leaving their furry family member behind!

Thank you very much for posting this.

This should "quiet" some concerns from the NIMBYs. Phase 1 of AAF will include a quiet zone for the entire corridor (WPB-Miami).

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-all-aboard-quiet-zones-20140812,0,5394621.story
To some, this might be really good news, as it could help with neighbors to the rail tracks getting along better with the new service. Some might think rail doesn't have to be so noisy (the article mentions "110 decibels", as loud as a "jet flying over") by nature.

With construction set to begin soon, officials hope the quiet zone, which still must get federal approval, could be in place before All Aboard Florida's trains start running.
Some might think that indeed, that would be great, if the quiet zones were finished in time for when the new service begins. For me there is one thing that still seems unclear, the article mentions to "establish a continuous quiet zone on the Florida East Coast Railway from Hallandale Beach to downtown West Palm Beach" - so what about south from Hallandale Beach to the new Miami downtown terminal? Will Florida East Coast Industries build a fully grade-separated route from Hallandale Beach to the new Miami station (as the tracks are supposed to be elevated in the new station that could not be impossible)? Seems hard to imagine 110-decibel horn blasts will continue in that part of the route.

South of Hallandale Beach the track is supposed to be grade separated all the way to Miami station.

Achieving Quiet Zone over the entire length will pull the rug out partially from under the NIMBY arguments. OTOH, NIMBYs being the way they are, now they will argue that safety will be compromised, for which of course there is no real evidence.

Does there exist any data on the relative frequency of grade crossing accidents in/out of quiet zones?
If there was any FRA being the way it is, would crack down on all Quiet Zones immediately and proceed to make them non-quiet as fast as they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
South of Hallandale Beach the track is supposed to be grade separated all the way to Miami station.
Thank you so much for the info! :) To many, all of the track south of West Palm Beach being "quiet", that might sound good indeed. ;)

And maybe there is a future possibility for the track north of West Palm Beach to Cocoa as well, for example for the residents of Jupiter, Stuart etc. ;)

Hey, I get to campaign for that at my new abode in Melbourne FL, which is on the way to Cocoa from West Palm. :) Although as far as I can tell there is no 110mph running through most of Melbourne according to current plans. Too many pesky curves through downtown, roughly between a mile south of 192 (New Haven Ave.) and a mile and a half north of 518 (Eu Gallie Blvd). In the downtown area it looks like there is a dozen or so railroad crossings within less than a mile!

Hey, I get to campaign for that at my new abode in Melbourne FL, which is on the way to Cocoa from West Palm. :) Although as far as I can tell there is no 110mph running through most of Melbourne according to current plans. Too many pesky curves through downtown, roughly between a mile south of 192 (New Haven Ave.) and a mile and a half north of 518 (Eu Gallie Blvd). In the downtown area it looks like there is a dozen or so railroad crossings within less than a mile!
Cool.

Isn't that the place where FIT is?

I was trying to encourage my stepson to go and study there, but he decided otherwise.

Cool.

I was trying to encourage my stepson to go and study there, but he decided otherwise.
Yes. FIT is within a couple of miles of my place.

Cool.

Yes. FIT is within a couple of miles of my place.
So is Melbourne getting a station? Being a college town it would make sense.

So is Melbourne getting a station? Being a college town it would make sense.
At least not in the immediate future for the Miami - Orlando service. But we'll start working on it and see what comes of it eventually. There will be a station for the Miami - JAX service when it comes to pass.

The initial stations will be at Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and Orlando.
This gives a total of twelve total city pairs, counting both directions, which are expected to generate 3,000,000 passengers a year.
Once service is established and a customer base is developed, I think they should also have stations at Fort Pierce and Melbourne, which are good size cities. This would increase the number of city pairs to 30, which would substantially increase their customer base.
And if they extend the route north to Daytona Beach, St. Augustine and Jacksonville, that would be a total of 56 city pairs.
There's a sizable potential market along that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back