Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I hate to say it, there is something slightly refreshing about an infrastructure project that isn't overly concerned with public input. Don't get me wrong, I understand the value of not cutting folks out...but after seeing so many projects emphasizing how much they want to include public input, it is rather nice to see a project that (to the extent it can afford to do so and which ought to have negligible negative side-effects) doesn't really give a hoot.

It's interesting to read that installation of the second track will commence later this summer.

I wonder when construction of the new Miami station will commence. Has that been approved yet?

Here is an interesting cross section of Miami station. It would appear there will be five dead-ending platform tracks.

I don't know if there will be additional stabling tracks nearby (I guess it might be difficult to add them as there isn't much space) so these tracks would have to handle incoming as well as outgoing trains as well as hold trains in between and trains that are being cleaned, held spare etc.

That might be ample for an inter city style service as AAF wants to be. But if ever Tr-Rail becomes serious about sharing the facility, it might get tight.

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-27%20at%2012.07.51%20PM.jpg

The two tracks on the left will handle Tri-Rail trains, while the two tracks on the right will handle AAF trains (high level platforms). The press release for the Miami station only mentioned 4 tracks (two for each service), but based on that cross section, it looks like a middle track would be able to handle either Tri-Rail trains or AAF trains.

Also, AAF unveiled their Fort Lauderdale station yesterday. It includes three tracks. Two for AAF, and one for freight trains.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.699720823408982.1073741828.307799652601103&type=1

10516743_699720893408975_4427028256274626506_n.jpg

This just screams "grassroots effort":
"Other members of the coalition include Frenchman’s Creek Beach & Country Club in Palm Beach Gardens, the Club at Admiral’s Cove, and Jonathan’s Landing, both in Jupiter."

"Other members of the coalition include Frenchmans Creek Beach & Country Club in Palm Beach Gardens, the Club at Admirals Cove, and Jonathans Landing, both in Jupiter."
Yeah, a True Grass Roots People's Movement! Nothing about holding meetings @ Wal-Mart or a School! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

"Other members of the coalition include Frenchmans Creek Beach & Country Club in Palm Beach Gardens, the Club at Admirals Cove, and Jonathans Landing, both in Jupiter."
Yeah, a True Grass Roots People's Movement! Nothing about holding meetings @ Wal-Mart or a School! LOL
"Let them eat cake" is the phrase that comes to mind.

Looks like only a bit over 200 parking spots which is a rather encouraging sign. I'm not thrilled with the aesthetic design, but that's my perennial complaint about most buildings these days. I am disappointed that it doesn't appear to have a direct connection between the bus terminal on the other side of the tracks and the station and platform itself.

Will any new passenger trains make any stops between west palm beach and cocoa beach along the FEC?

A new anti-AAF group has popped up. This time called CARE (Citizens Against Rail Expansion in Florida).
<sigh> I want to roll my eyes and slam my head on the table at the same time. Good grief, this is service over an existing active railroad line, not a new 8 lane wide highway. Someone in Florida needs to form an anti-CARE group. How about Citizens Against Nimby Citizens Against Rail Expansion in Florida. CAN CARE. :p

Ok, is there a way we (or, rather, any colleagues we have in Florida) could work up some "Put up or shut up" editorials and the like?

I could see people being upset with the CAHSR project, since it will use a new right of way, but this one basically uses existing right of way up to a point. Don't understand it

I propose that the solution to NIMBYs is to immediately execute eminent domain on the land they live on from the rear property line to the rear of their house.

This should satisfy them since nothing will be built in their backyard, since they wouldn't have one.

Just found out that the first rail sections have been delivered to AAF/FECR for the Miami to WPB section and that they will announce the first construction contract very soon. Things are looking up for AAF and finally getting going on construction!

Anyone by chance happen to see any train activity involved in the movement of CWR sections on the FECR lately?

Just found out that the first rail sections have been delivered to AAF/FECR for the Miami to WPB section and that they will announce the first construction contract very soon. Things are looking up for AAF and finally getting going on construction!

Anyone by chance happen to see any train activity involved in the movement of CWR sections on the FECR lately?
Yeah I've seen a number of articles that pretty much indicates AAF is getting a move on with construction. I'll post this, even though it has nothing to do with AAF directly, it shows the airport is going to be expanded.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/07/rep-john-mica-everything-can-start-now-on-orlando.html

@THE CJ, actually the FAA approval for the Orlando airport expansion is a big deal for AAF - without that approval, AAF would have been dead in the water for the Orlando expansion. That decision last Friday by the FAA is probably the most important thing to have happened in the past several months. That and the non-compete agreement signed back in April or early May between SFRTA and AAF for TriRail operating between Jupiter and Miami on FECR. They still need to work out the lease payment terms for running trains on the route however. Without the non-compete agreement with SFRTA, the FEIS record of decision and RRIF loan approvals would have been hard to obtain as the US DOT would not be willing to give AAF a $1.5 billion loan to compete with another DOT/FTA subsidized operation!

With the FAA approval and SFRTA being worked out, the last remaining hurdle is the EIS report and whatever it will demand of AAF to mitigate any issues. AAF has said they don't need the RRIF loan (it is one of several financing options they say they are looking at) - as proof of this, look at them beginning construction now instead of waiting another year or so for the RRIF loan decision.

The information about the rail already being delivered and the first construction contract came directly from AAF/FECI - not another news source or article.

Well, and let's be honest: If they get the RRIF loan, they can pay off the bonds. If they don't get the RRIF loan, they can probably refinance the bonds with better rates as things move further along and the chance of the project evaporating vanishes.

As to the SFRTA situation, a serious question comes up: If there's no non-compete deal, could FEC (at least in theory) just set up a more limited commuter-ish service, price it where the market will bear, and tell Tri-Rail to stuff off? I know FEC probably wants the contract (it makes the downtown station more valuable) and they're mainly fighting over terms to give FEC more flexibility in operations with possible infill service, but as far as I can tell all that a lack of a non-compete would do is cause Tri-Rail a lot of misery.

According to Seth Bramson (FEC historian, and author of Speedway to Sunshine), there will be an invitation only event in West Palm Beach on Monday at 10 am. It will be held were the West Palm Beach station is going to be, so I guess this is the unveiling. I work next to the proposed station, so the temptation will be strong to sneak a peak, but I doubt I'll be allowed to venture out of work anyway. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back