Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the Jupiter river bridge was double track. In fact at one time most of FEC was double track right hand running. Some track near Jacksonville was single track. No CTC As I recall until after the FEC strike. Plans are the have whole line Miami - Cocoa 2 main tracks bi-directional CTC. Single track CTC with sidings ( spacing unknown ) Cocoa - Orlando
You need to go and read the AAF EIS more carefully ;)

Inauguration of service on Brightline between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach is slated for late July, followed by a late August extension of service to Miami Central

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/passenger_rail/news/Floridas-Brightline-passenger-rail-service-to-launch-in-late-July--51064?email=kevinkorell@optonline.com&utm_medium=email&utm_source=prdailynews&utm_campaign=prdailynews3/13/2017
Is that basically just to test things a bit more with passengers on board?

I can't see much of a business case for a train not going to Miami.

Inauguration of service on Brightline between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach is slated for late July, followed by a late August extension of service to Miami Central

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/passenger_rail/news/Floridas-Brightline-passenger-rail-service-to-launch-in-late-July--51064?email=kevinkorell@optonline.com&utm_medium=email&utm_source=prdailynews&utm_campaign=prdailynews3/13/2017
Is that basically just to test things a bit more with passengers on board?

I can't see much of a business case for a train not going to Miami.
Yes. They even say on the article that there will only be one grand opening in September after MIA-WPB is open. So it's like a soft opening in two phases.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Frankly, it's smart. They might burn a few hundred thousand dollars running mostly-empty trains but it beats having OBS who are still learning the ropes under real-world conditions on some presumably packed trains at the grand opening.

They had filed the lawsuit to block the sale of Bonds. AAF decided to withdraw the Bond offering and sold a different set of Bonds that are not being used for anything in Martin County. The lawsuit thus became irrelevant and the judge threw it out. Martin County had a choice to appeal, which they chose not to and withdrew the whole thing instead, since there is no relevance or need for the suit anymore. They have already managed to block the use of Bond money in Martin County and have no standing to challenge the use of Bond money in other counties. so in some sense they did indeed succeed in their limited goal, such as it was. It is yet to be seen how AAF proposes to fund the necessary construction work in Martin County in Phase 2.

Sounds like a face-saving comment on their part to me. Fact is, they don't want the train. They tried a legal maneuver to prevent funding, hoping it would kill the effort. It didn't. They failed. In all honesty, I'm OK about the whole thing - less public money involved, the better.

I guess the July soft-open was cancelled. Still no word on ticket prices?

Sprint is suing All Aboard, claiming $646k in unpaid bills for fiber optic work next to the tracks. Likely not a big deal, although of more personal interest to me.

Thank you for sharing this. The fact that neither AAF nor DOT commented and that the opposition groups had several qualms make it sound like speculation with few hard facts. Roping in the President's finances and security and talking crap about AAF? It shows how deep in the mud the opposition groups are willing to go to discredit AAF and the growth of passenger rail in FL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing this. The fact that neither AAF nor DOT commented and that the opposition groups had several qualms make it sound like speculation with few hard facts. Roping in the President's finances and security and talking crap about AAF? It shows how deep in the mud the opposition groups are willing to go to discredit AAF and the growth of passenger rail in FL.
Honestly, this most recent attack should discredit any credibility CARE had (very little to begin with). Trump's motorcade uses Southern Blvd, direct from the airport to Mar-a-Lago. Southern Blvd is actually grade seperated over both the South Florida Rail Corridor (Tri-Rail/CSX/Amtrak) and the FEC Rwy (Brightline). Not to mention that trains are stopped in the area before, during, and after the motorcade. Now if you want to complain about "bomb trains", your issue is with the freight carrier, not Brightline.

Now on the other hand, Fort Pierce is becoming serious about pursuing a stop. Note that the city never funded any opposition efforts, and I seem to remember St. Lucie County backing down early.

http://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion/columnists/rich-campbell/2017/07/27/yay-fort-pierce-pursuing-brightline-train-stop-rich-campbell/509444001/

So will we be able to be on it?

The latest seems to be near the end of the year. We'll be in Ft. Lauderdale taking a cruise and only have Nov 25th and 26th to try it out as we return via Amtrak on the 27th. We'd sure love to take a spin in it.

So will we be able to be on it?

The latest seems to be near the end of the year. We'll be in Ft. Lauderdale taking a cruise and only have Nov 25th and 26th to try it out as we return via Amtrak on the 27th. We'd sure love to take a spin in it.
I have no idea. Hopefully I'll know more about it after 23rd of Sept FECRS Convention which will have a major set of tours and events with Brightline.

My guess, after a quick visit to the construction site of Miami Central Stations, is that Miami Central still has at least a couple more months of construction work to go before it becomes ready for prime time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back