Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So will we be able to be on it?

The latest seems to be near the end of the year. We'll be in Ft. Lauderdale taking a cruise and only have Nov 25th and 26th to try it out as we return via Amtrak on the 27th. We'd sure love to take a spin in it.
I have no idea. Hopefully I'll know more about it after 23rd of Sept FECRS Convention which will have a major set of tours and events with Brightline.

My guess, after a quick visit to the construction site of Miami Central Stations, is that Miami Central still has at least a couple more months of construction work to go before it becomes ready for prime time.
Thanks. We'll be happy with FTL to WPB if they decide to open that before Miami is finished.

So I'm sure this has been discussed already somewhere in the previous 80 pages, but I understand the initial consists will be two locos and four coaches? First class and a diner a part of this? The most important question is, how many coaches can the platforms hold? And, if, say they can only hold 10 max, is there room beyond the platform for the loco's to overhang for a 10+2 consist should demand require it in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume an actual diner is not anywhere in the plans, although I assume eventually snack service will become available when the route expands to Orlando or Jax.

Brightline's already got pictures of snacks, but I've been wondering how you could fit even a snack into the time it takes to get, say, from West Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale. I know we're not used to getting anywhere so fast (on Amtrak) that there's no time for a dining car meal, but no way we can do it on Brightline--this will be completely new territory for us! :p

I would assume an actual diner is not anywhere in the plans, although I assume eventually snack service will become available when the route expands to Orlando or Jax.
That is my understanding. But I will know more after attending the FECRS Annual Meeting the third weekend of Sept.
For the WPM - MC service there is no food service car.

I think, although I might be wrong, that they were showing pictures of snacks they would hand out to first-class passengers (not a food service car, just an attendant handing out the snacks). But even then, that would be hard to do in a half-hour trip unless they throw the snacks out after you as you detrain :p .

I think, although I might be wrong, that they were showing pictures of snacks they would hand out to first-class passengers (not a food service car, just an attendant handing out the snacks). But even then, that would be hard to do in a half-hour trip unless they throw the snacks out after you as you detrain :p .
If they're getting snacks I don't see why the passengers travelling 1 1/2 hours+ on the A train in New York can't also get food service.[emoji12]
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Not to go off topic, but we'll be lucky if the Second Avenue Subway even gets completed in our life time. Although, technically food service for the subway is more or less covered by news stands at select subway stations, if you consider candy and snacks food along with sodas, juice, and water for drinks. It's not exactly glamorous, but it's what the MTA can do at it's current form.

If they're getting snacks I don't see why the passengers travelling 1 1/2 hours+ on the A train in New York can't also get food service.[emoji12]
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
As soon as you pay as much for the A train as you will for Brightline, you will get food included.

Here is the program for the FECRS Annual Convention this coming weekend:

http://mailchi.mp/7a73cf301f3e/fecrs-convention-registration-is-open-178505

Unfortunately the tours are now closed, fully subscribed. We have an entire day of tours covering Brightline, including visit to their WPB Shops including train sets, as well as the WPB Station.

While at it I am acquiring my own head gear, protective eye gear and safety vest, as well as a Convention shirt of course.

Will keep all posted on what I see and learn.

BTW, FECR and AAF have created a jointly owned subsidiary named Florida Dispatch Company, which is taking over all dispatching duties on FECR and AAF trackage.

Thanks for the pics Jis, I can now confirm I will never ride brightline. Not going to put up with tsa-style antics.
This is starting to become more common for High Speed Services in Europe (thanks to terrorism fears). It's an incredibly painless process, especially compared to TSA. You put your baggage on the belt and pick it up on the other side, you personally don't get checked. Hopefully they make it painless.

Thanks for the pics Jis, I can now confirm I will never ride brightline. Not going to put up with tsa-style antics.
This is starting to become more common for High Speed Services in Europe (thanks to terrorism fears). It's an incredibly painless process, especially compared to TSA. You put your baggage on the belt and pick it up on the other side, you personally don't get checked. Hopefully they make it painless.
The bags go through standard X-ray scan on the belt. You walk between two innocuous looking posts that are about four and a half to five feet tall and that is the millimeter wave scanner. You can walk through it without emptying your pockets or anything like that. See the photo that I have at West Palm Beach station that has the bag belt in it. The posts next to it is the mm wave scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Brightline's already got pictures of snacks, but I've been wondering how you could fit even a snack into the time it takes to get, say, from West Palm Beach to Fort Lauderdale. I know we're not used to getting anywhere so fast (on Amtrak) that there's no time for a dining car meal, but no way we can do it on Brightline--this will be completely new territory for us! :p
I have purchased stuff from the cafe car on the Northeast Regional on trips between Washington and Baltimore.

Back in 1975, I used to ride the Merchant's Limited between Philadelphia and New York and was able to have a full sit-down dining car meal served to me while the train was traveling between Trenton and Newark.

Very good news to report, it appears that work on phase 2 is about to begin. A permit has been applied for just yesterday to construct storm water structures along the Beachline Expressway SR528 at the Dallas Blvd. Toll plaza.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/10/12/brightline-starts-site-work-for-2b-orlando.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_orlando+%28Orlando+Business+Journal%29

"Coral Gables-based All Aboard Florida on Oct. 11 applied for permit that would allow work to begin on Phase 2 of the Miami-to-Orlando passenger train. Construction already is under way on the Miami-to-West Palm Beach portion of the train system."

"All Aboard is seeking the permit so it can begin construction of stormwater treatment swales along the rail corridor and modify existing stormwater ponds at the Dallas Boulevard toll plaza. The project also will involve installation of new fiber optic cable."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2017/10/19/exclusive-brightline-to-start-moving-construction.html

More work on phase 2 scheduled to begin soon, but this time at the Orlando airport. Beginning by end of 2017, AAF construction crews will be working on the new station at the airport as well as related track work starting in January. This work is dependent on AAF obtaining a construction permit. From the OBJ news article:

It looks like the $3.5 billion Miami-to-Orlando rail system soon will start creating its new station at the Orlando International Airport.

Brightline operator, Coral Gables-based All Aboard Florida, will begin moving construction crews into the airport's new Intermodal Terminal Facility in December, Greater Orlando Aviation Authority COO Stan Thornton told Orlando Business Journal on Oct. 19.

Then in January, workers will begin interior train station buildout and building a new rail that will connect into the terminal, Thornton said. The project is scheduled for an midyear 2020 completion, he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back