Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Brightline would pay for part of the Sunrail connection at Orlando for exchange of trackage rights that would get them on the way to Tampa?

I'm not sure they would need the SunRail connection to the airport. They could just use 417 from the Airport to I-4, which was one of the alternative alignments for the original Florida HSR project.

I wonder if Brightline would pay for part of the Sunrail connection at Orlando for exchange of trackage rights that would get them on the way to Tampa?
No. Since the plan for Tampa does not require any trackage rights. It is all new trackage along the SR 427 - I-4 Corridor.

The SunRail connection would be along the existing spur to the power station.

Oh nice... Where did you see this plan? I hadn't read that yet.

The existing CSX alignment sure seems pretty good to me.

Oh nice... Where did you see this plan? I hadn't read that yet.

The existing CSX alignment sure seems pretty good to me.
But would CSX let Brightline play on their tracks?

I wonder if Brightline will be able to dust off any of the planning and pre-engineering work that went into preparing the abroted Orlando to Tampa HSR project? Or whether they're starting over from scratch.

Volks, although I'm not going to a concert at Kravis this year while I'm "down below" Feb 18-20 (the Chicago Symphony will be performing there, but it will be the same program that I heard last Friday at Orchestra Hall). I could possibly put Brightline to use to get from Ehh to Bee.

Here's how: drive to Ft. Lauderdale (from the Holiday Inn at Turnpike Exit 75), park at the "intro-free" garage, take Brightline to WP, walk to Ruth's Chris adjacent to Kravis, early Dinner (on my own; like to be gone from restaurants before they fill up), take Brightline back to FTL (that gives an hour to get .02 BAC out of me from any Grape Juice I had), drive back to hotel. Maybe I'll go Business NB and have a "comp" Grape Juice aperitif, SB Coach so "I'm led not into temptation".

I've now booked a ticket for my Feb 19 "joyride to chow". Up 355P in Select. Back 7P in Smart. Booking went very smooth.

What's another $22.50 when I've already laid out an "only sort of refundable" $814 for Auto-Train!!!

I have to give them credit for a smooth rollout. I'm not opposed to AAF; I'm just skeptical. They haven't a prayer if all they build is MIA-WPB (after seeing MIA first hand last week, I say a year to go, even if they are saying next Quarter, i.e by June 30) and only a slight one if MIA-ORL is ever completed.

All I ask is keep the Delray Beach "revelers" away from my trains. Anyone else around here know of that entertainment district at Atlantic Ave? The Late Randy Resor (not sure if he was over here) once did as his Mother lived in Delray. He pointed out to me how it parallels the FEC and said before Brightline was ever dreamed of "there's going to be a moose-goosing here one of these days".

Again I say; "get on down" and get your joyrides in.

Last edited by a moderator:
ANOTHER "WHACK-A-MOLE":

Miami Herald

Fair Use:

The man injured by a Brightline train in Wilton Manors on Thursday had attempted to kill himself when he walked along a stretch of tracks and lay on the metal awaiting an approaching train, police said.

The 48-year-old Broward County resident, whom police have not identified, endured non-fatal injuries when he was struck by the passenger line around 8 p.m. in the 1200 block of Northeast 24th Street. He was taken to Broward Health Medical Center to receive medical treatment and mental health assistance, according to a statement releaed by Wilton Manors Police.
Oh well, at least this one was non-fatal

Amazing that he wasn’t killed. I heard one of our local elected officials declare on the news that “we just have to spend more effort to educate the people about the danger of high speed trains!”

It seems we need to educate her!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

So, of the five "incidents", IIRC two have been...shall we say, intentional. As wacky as this sounds, it almost seems like the message is getting through to well...

Dang. They're going to out price it fit me before I can get to try it out.
default_sad.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Doesn't PTC have a feature that would let the engineer know if there is a vehicle in the trains way if it is on the crossing?

Doesn't PTC have a feature that would let the engineer know if there is a vehicle in the trains way if it is on the crossing?
Even if there were such a feature, a vehicle getting in front of the train just before it arrives at the crossing, which is usually the case, would not leave enough time and distance to prevent a collision.

PTC itself does not specifically address grade crossing and other incursions. but there are other overlays that can be plugged into the system to help, just as the same can be done with any cab signaling system with speed enforcement..

There are signs all over that intersection telling you not to stop on the tracks. I go by there almost every day and see people doing just that.

I am on the 97 right now, just left Sebring. Got on in Winter Park and as the train was pulling into the station, two people ran across the tracks after going around the gates with the train no more than 20 feet from them when they made it across.

No accounting for stupidity!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I heard Operation Lifesaver/Brightline radio adverts a year before operation began. There were also signs posted along the ROW and education campaigns at nearby schools. This was all done right when Blue started testing.

Freight trains have long used the FEC corridor and Tri-Rail runs 50 trains a day only a few miles to the west. These types of incidents occured before Brightline, and will continue unless the entire ROW is grade seperated.

default_sad.png

I'm glad to see that they're in a position to bump the fare a bit. I hate to say it, but $15 for 2-1 seating, lounge access, and potentially a glass of wine thrown in was a steal and IIRC they were having issues where Select was running full while Smart was running relatively empty. Bear in mind that the $5 price difference was less than a decent drink at a bar.

Well those fares have always been advertised as "introductory" - they want the curious to come see what it's like so when they start running the full route, people will already know how it works. The prices will go up quite a bit in the next few years I'm sure. This operation is so different than anything else operating in this country that I can't imagine this not being a huge hit once the Orlando - Miami operation is open.

default_sad.png

I'm glad to see that they're in a position to bump the fare a bit. I hate to say it, but $15 for 2-1 seating, lounge access, and potentially a glass of wine thrown in was a steal and IIRC they were having issues where Select was running full while Smart was running relatively empty. Bear in mind that the $5 price difference was less than a decent drink at a bar.
I agree.

Much as I hate price hikes when I'm talking about my own wallter, objectively speaking, the ability to riase prices shows the market is able to bear higher prices.

The profitability implications of that are good news for investors eyeing privately funded mixed real-estate and intercity rail projects, not just in South Florida, but anywhere.

From Holiday Inn Express Boca Raton--

I did take the trip on Brightline outlined earlier. For Northbound in Select, the car was substantially full, and the trip was without incident. I still fear a WHACKAMOLE at Delray Beach - it will be some hotshot lawyer whose family will "take em for everything".

The Select Attendant, Miss Brooke, was exceptionally courteous - kind of like a Flight Attendant you remember for good reasons.

I realize this is an introductory period. The trains are new and the staff enthusiastic. But this enthusiasm does not translate into a sustainable private sector operation. Obviously no one can hold "they're making it" during this "intro" phase. While their fares planned "post intro" are a State secret", I think them to be double the "intros".

Returning on the Southbound, I had the Smart Coach as good as to myself - the joyriders have moved on to other things. As I was returning from Dinner walking North on Rosemary from Okeechobee, I met a couple with a young child "who was letting his presence known" in Select heading Northward. That turned out to be the return trip from their "excursion to Ft. Lauderdale".

Access to Miami will certainly give them business beyond joyrides. With the Miami location right with the Miami judiciary, some Palm Beach attorneys will find it convenient.

I continue to hold the only "prayer" they have for private sector operation is to complete the route to MCO. They could well have a B-School Model showing "them making it", but did such contemplate the funding they would need and the "junk bond" rating translating to higher debt service costs than anticipated.

Even if they choose not to lay the 40 miles of track to MCO and offer a bus transfer in it's place, will that cut it?

Sure I've enjoyed these joyrides on an outfit that puts customer service on a plateau with air travel during the '50's, but I still say "get on down and get your joyrides in".

I've already gotten my first joy ride in. Likewise I got my joyrides in on the Hoosier State and "Pullman Rail Journeys" while I could as well. While I had hoped the Hoosier State and Pullman would have lasted longer than they did... the Brightline model shows so much promise in comparison. I'm not sure why Venture doubts the completion of the Orlando line but Orlando to Miami sure seems like a can't miss corridor.

I've already gotten my first joy ride in. Likewise I got my joyrides in on the Hoosier State and "Pullman Rail Journeys" while I could as well. While I had hoped the Hoosier State and Pullman would have lasted longer than they did... the Brightline model shows so much promise in comparison. I'm not sure why Venture doubts the completion of the Orlando line but Orlando to Miami sure seems like a can't miss corridor.
I don't ever recall doubting completion to Orlando other than the massive continued schedule slips. I'm excited about it. My only consternation was that it was going to the airport rather than a more centric transit hub. But the development of a transit hub at the airport has quieted me down some...

They have started doing preparatory draining and other mitigation construction along SR528 between Cocoa and Orlando, in preparation to start actual earthwork for the ROW. One major intersection on SR528 has been completely modified to grade separate the entry-exit ramps from the Brightline ROW. ROW work should begin mid year this year once the drainage structures have been put in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back