Bringing food and drinks onto the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...Example #2 - Somebody travels from CHI-EMY on the CZ for a vacation. They can take 3 checked bags and 2 carry-on or 5 bags in total. Another person takes a vacation from Galesburg, IL to Fraser, CO - also on the CZ - but they can only carry-on 2 bags, because neither station offers checked baggage service!
mad.gif
We get on at Galesburg (sleeper) often to head out west (doing it this Sat) and we each have a suitcase (stowed on the lower level), and two carry-ons apiece. Never a problem.

...Example #2 - Somebody travels from CHI-EMY on the CZ for a vacation. They can take 3 checked bags and 2 carry-on or 5 bags in total. Another person takes a vacation from Galesburg, IL to Fraser, CO - also on the CZ - but they can only carry-on 2 bags, because neither station offers checked baggage service!
mad.gif
We get on at Galesburg (sleeper) often to head out west (doing it this Sat) and we each have a suitcase (stowed on the lower level), and two carry-ons apiece. Never a problem.
I agree that it can be done now.

What I was saying was in response to Alan's post of Amtrak talking about STRICTLY enforcing the 2 carry-on limit! If that were to happen, you would be limited to only 2 bags (either the suitcase or 1 of the carry-ons would have to be left
sad.gif
), while someone going from CHI to DEN or SLC could take 5 bags in total (checking 3 of them)!
mad.gif

Sometimes OTOL is spot-on, and other times it gives advice that's more than a little confusing...

Carry-on no more luggage than absolutely necessary; no more than you would or could carry on an airplane. Amtrak STRICTLY requires that individual bags (carry-on or checked) weigh no more than 50 pounds (federal requirement), and mandates no more than 2 carry-on bags per person.
Everything I've seen or read would imply that the weight and specifics of carry-on luggage are given a pass on Amtrak so long as you're able to carry it on yourself without help and aren't obviously flouting rules and conventions.
You'll notice that I'm never one of those who typically does say, "if you can carry it on you won't be hassled." Yes, the odds are very good that you won't be hassled. But there have been occasions where people did get hassled, including one incident where a conductor left with a passenger still standing on the platform because they had more carry-on's than they were allowed.

And everyonce in a while there seems to be statements from those working within Amtrak that it is actually going to start pushing employees to enforce the rules.
Just a couple of things to add;

1. you can indeed take personal food into the upper-level seating and table area of a Superliner Lounge car. You cannot take personal food into the lower-level of the SSL or into the dining car.

2. Amtrak cannot store or re-heat any personal food for you.

3. As has already been correctly stated, you cannot consume alcohol you brought onboard with you anywhere other than in your own private sleeping car room. If you ask the dining car LSA they likely will let you bring a bottle of wine, that you brought with you, to dinner

I have to agree with Alan about the carry on baggage policy. More and more people are under this assumption that if you can carry it then it'll be ok, this in incorrect. This thinking is causing an unsustainable increase in the amount of carry-on that people are bringing and the luggage racks are getting too full. The Amtrak policy is clear and fair. It doesn't count several items towards the carry-on limit. The biggest problem I see on a day to day basis is that the ticket agents are the ones NOT enforcing and/or educating the passengers and thus the train attendants and conductors are forced into being the bad guy when people show up wheeling 5 suitcases down the platform. The limit is two (2) carry-ons under 50 lbs. I am enforcing it and I am training my car attendants to enforce it as well. I've sent communication to station managers and passenger services superintendents that the ticket agents are letting, even telling people they can carry too many bags onto the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
And everyonce in a while there seems to be statements from those working within Amtrak that it is actually going to start pushing employees to enforce the rules.
However, that can be unfair to some passengers!
mad.gif
Surely any rule strictly enforced is going to be unfair to someone. I'd hope that reasonable exceptions could be made for the cases you give.

On the other hand, I started checking luggage after an unfortunate trip on the Empire Builder from West Glacier to Minot a couple of years ago. We boarded with a couple of suitcases that we could not check, since West Glacier does have that service. Alas, the other passengers in our sleeper had brought on enough suitcases that there wasn't room for ours (and I imagine that most of them weren't traveling from stations that didn't have baggage service). This meant that our SCA had to move our bags at every station, since stations in Montana seem to alternate which side of the car they are on. A lot of extra work that could have been avoided.

Now I figure that if I have enough time to take the train, I have enough time to check my suitcase. If EB_OBS is encouraging agents to enforce carry-on limits, I can't blame him even if in the past I've been a clear violator of those limits.

So I assume if the rule is going to be rigidly enforced, then the exceptions will be rigidly enforced as well? So a conductor or ticket agent can't claim that a laptop bag or briefcase or purse counts against the limit.

Now I figure that if I have enough time to take the train, I have enough time to check my suitcase.
Even if you're going between two points without checked baggage?

Now I figure that if I have enough time to take the train, I have enough time to check my suitcase.
Even if you're going between two points without checked baggage?
That would be hard, wouldn't it? No, if you read my posting, you'll notice that I mentioned an excess of unchecked luggage from passengers that I imagined had traveled from stations with checked luggage service. I now check luggage when I can (and my travel is such that I almost always can check luggage), so that my carry-on luggage does not lead to the situation I described. In the past I was not so considerate to my fellow passengers, and was more concerned with my own convenience.

Hello! My family is considering train travel for the first time for a trip from Rocky Mount, NC to West Palm Beach Florida. We have several questions:

1. Are there any microwaves available for passengers to use?

2. Are the coach seats really as comfortable as the Amtrak site indicates--ie. can you really sleep comfortably?

3. Are there any areas designated for freshening up, changing clothes if desired, brushing teeth, etc... on trains that travel overnight?

4. Are there any areas to store small coolers other than under your feet or in the compartments? I had heard that some trains had large open areas in the back of each car where things like that could be left.

5. Any other tips or advice? We really have no idea what to expect.

Thanks so much for any answers you can provide!

1) No microwave for your own food to be cooked or "radiated".

2) It depends. I recommend to bring blanket or layers of clothes, ear plugs, and eyes cover. Amtrak provide travel sized pillow. To me, it may be a little too small. I've noticed some passengers use neck pillow or put jacket or clothes in large pillow case.

3) Yes, in the bathroom. There is one room on lower level has changing room.

4) The overhead bin is much larger than the airplane's. Even the large suitcase can fit in.

5) There is a helpful hint in one of the topics on main page.

I agree with gswager with the following addendums:

1) I like to bring a single bottle of water and those little powder packs. Then I refill with their potable water.

2) I don't like sleeping in coach next to someone I don't know, but I know I would be a LOT more comfortable if it were my wife in the seat next to me. Bringing your own pillow is a must. Blankets are available on the train, but they cost $15.

3) There is no "lower level" on the Silver train that you will taking from RMT to WPB. I don't recall if there are changing rooms per se in the coach cars, but the accessible restrooms are plenty big enough to maneuver and change clothes in. A side note: The "changing room" on the lower level of Superliners doesn't have a lock for privacy.

"Also, don't worry about the stated "2 carry-on per person" limit too much! I have never seen it strictly enforced. Besides, the many exceptions include:"

How strict is the "small amount of food for consumption on the train" guideline? I would like to bring a nylon cooler that has wheels like luggage. I am afraid of being turned away at the station. I am traveling from Philly to PGH.

Thanks so much.

BH

"Also, don't worry about the stated "2 carry-on per person" limit too much! I have never seen it strictly enforced. Besides, the many exceptions include:"

How strict is the "small amount of food for consumption on the train" guideline? I would like to bring a nylon cooler that has wheels like luggage. I am afraid of being turned away at the station. I am traveling from Philly to PGH.

Thanks so much.
**Please note that you are adding to a thread which is 4 years old.**

You may bring your cooler, but it will count as a piece of carry-on luggage. You will almost certainly not be able to obtain ice for it while you are on board, unless you are in the sleepers. Even in the sleepers, ice provided is intended for personal consumption; your SCA may balk if you want to drain his supply to refill your cooler. If you have a small cooler for medicine, ice refills may be obtained on board if you make advance arrangements on your reservation.

You may fill your cooler with your choice of food and non-alcoholic beverages. Privately-sourced alcohol consumption is only permitted in private sleeper rooms. (You may purchase beer, wine, or liquor in the cafe car to accompany your carried-on comestibles...the alcohol restriction apparently is intended mainly to ensure they can cut you off if you become a bit too jolly.) Also, as was stated earlier in this thread, please consider your neighbors, especially in coach...while you may adore the odor of garlic and Limburger, they may not.

Thanks so much.

You may bring your cooler, but it will count as a piece of carry-on luggage. You will almost certainly not be able to obtain ice for it while you are on board, unless you are in the sleepers. Even in the sleepers, ice provided is intended for personal consumption; your SCA may balk if you want to drain his supply to refill your cooler. If you have a small cooler for medicine, ice refills may be obtained on board if you make advance arrangements on your reservation.

You may fill your cooler with your choice of food and non-alcoholic beverages. Privately-sourced alcohol consumption is only permitted in private sleeper rooms. (You may purchase beer, wine, or liquor in the cafe car to accompany your carried-on comestibles...the alcohol restriction apparently is intended mainly to ensure they can cut you off if you become a bit too jolly.) Also, as was stated earlier in this thread, please consider your neighbors, especially in coach...while you may adore the odor of garlic and Limburger, they may not.
My question is in regard to size of cooler/ amount of food. My cooler is 16 x 14 x 12. I will be carrying 2 dinners in it - pushing the "food for consumption on board" limit. I will not have a car at my destination.

Thanks so much.

My question is in regard to size of cooler/ amount of food. My cooler is 16 x 14 x 12. I will be carrying 2 dinners in it - pushing the "food for consumption on board" limit. I will not have a car at my destination.
That's nowhere near "pushing the limit". As long as you treat it as one of your two allowed pieces of carry-on luggage and stick to the rules on alcohol, the only thing you will hear from the train crew is, "Hey, can I try a bite of that?"

A few things others have not mentioned:

Grilling on board, whether charcoal or gas, is frowned upon, even in the vestibules between cars.

You can't count your microwave as a piece of luggage.

If you bring a full size refrigerator and try and store it in the "baggage area" (not the designated storage area but the open area), any wheelchair occupants may object.

Don't raid your fridge at night as the light will disturb other travelers.

No alcohol also means you should not bring a still on board to create your own to get around rules about bringing alcohol.

Meth labs are strictly prohibited. Meth is NOT "personal food".

The train is NOT a ballpark. Hawking hot dogs or souvenirs in the aisles will get you removed.

The vestibule is not considered to be a "tailgate". No partying.

No, you can't put food items on the diesel engines to warm them up. DO NOT put aluminum foil encased items on electric motors.

Don't try to throw leftovers out the windows. You will realize the foolishness of it when you find out they don't open.

Don't go to the diner expecting to see Robert Irvine doing a makeover of the food and decor for "Restaurant Impossible".

A few things others have not mentioned:

Grilling on board, whether charcoal or gas, is frowned upon, even in the vestibules between cars.

You can't count your microwave as a piece of luggage.

If you bring a full size refrigerator and try and store it in the "baggage area" (not the designated storage area but the open area), any wheelchair occupants may object.

Don't raid your fridge at night as the light will disturb other travelers.

No alcohol also means you should not bring a still on board to create your own to get around rules about bringing alcohol.

Meth labs are strictly prohibited. Meth is NOT "personal food".

The train is NOT a ballpark. Hawking hot dogs or souvenirs in the aisles will get you removed.

The vestibule is not considered to be a "tailgate". No partying.

No, you can't put food items on the diesel engines to warm them up. DO NOT put aluminum foil encased items on electric motors.

Don't try to throw leftovers out the windows. You will realize the foolishness of it when you find out they don't open.

Don't go to the diner expecting to see Robert Irvine doing a makeover of the food and decor for "Restaurant Impossible".
Well, if you mention stills, does that mean that homebrewing is also forbidden?

In any case, since you didn't mention it, I guess my deep fryer is hunky dory.

ETA: I did once drink moonshine on a Soviet train, but it was already distilled when my benefactor (?) boarded the train in Kiev.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back